What do you do when you want a new life?

It's Monday, I feel crummy (just "female" stuff), I'm sitting in a cube farm staring at spreadsheets and right now I want a new life. (Huh. Don't we all.)

You know the one. You dreamed about it when you were naive and innocent. Long before life's duties and losses dragged you down. Long before the reality of mortgage payments and bills (for me - on a single, mid-level clerical income) made you grateful for any decent job.

I don't often dream about that life anymore, because it's pointless. I'm in my mid-40s now and thinking of pensions and a lack of any savings. Unless someone in my family has a huge lottery win and gives me money, this is it, baby. There ain't nothin' else.

But sometimes -- just sometimes -- I catch myself daydreaming. Of spending my days in the country, in privacy, with all my fur companions. With a rescue centre for all abused and unwanted animals, large or small. Spending my days mucking out stalls and cleaning out kitty litter boxes, tramping through the woods with camera in hand, sitting out under the stars in peace and quiet. No traffic noises, no neighbours in an adjoining unit, no screaming hooligans running around outside. Just Nature, in all Her glory.

I can't get there from here, but I can bring the things that I love into my life, in some small measure. We all can. For me, that means a lot of walking, camera around my neck. Busing as close as I can to one of the large conservation areas in town so I can get away from city noise and into the woods. It means always having fur companions, shelter adoptees I've rescued from either death row or a life in a cage, donating to a local shelter when I can, and assisting them with their publicity for upcoming events. It means sitting out on my back step at 4AM, when the neighbourhood is quiet, to star gaze. It also means having lots of plants and flowers around me, having decor in my home that reflects, for me, Nature. Greens and yellows for colour schemes. Sunshine and trees.

If you sometimes dream of a different life, of the life you wanted, deep down in your heart, bring some of those things into your current reality. Because even if you aren't able to fully live the dream, you can fully live. Right Now.

Comments

Islandgirl Evy said…
I am so there with you! Just about to hit 40 in a year and a half and already having the mid life crisis. Wish I could be elsewhere instead of with the bills. My family I love but there are those days when you want to run away..........far away........so yes, I can relate! Evy (Vindella)