Quality Versus Quantity

Quality of life versus quantity is a tricky topic for many, I think.

I know someone who's little Jack Russell terrier has lymphoma (which is terminal, no cure). Treatment options were to do nothing, treat her with chemo to prolong her life, or give her Prednisone to alleviate the symptoms for the time she has left. He--wisely, I believe--has opted for the latter.

And I know of other people who go to great lengths to prolong the lives of their fur companions--constant tests and treatments, supplements, drugs. That's fine if the animal isn't suffering physically or mentally and will recover, but in my opinion, not fine if it's an incurable disease.

I understand why people go to these lengths: The animals are their family and they can't bear to let go.

Maybe I was lucky with my Chumley, because he hadn't been ill, he had a blood clot that let go one night and he had to be rushed to the off-hours vet and put to sleep. Yes, it was horrendous and I hope to Goddess I never, ever see a cat (any animal) in such agony or hear screams like that again. But at least it was over with relatively quickly and his life had not been one of suffering up until that final night. (Of course, as I'm typing this, I'm starting to cry and feeling like I'm going to throw up.)

I just don't believe I have the ethical right to put my animal through undue suffering because I am too selfish to let go, because it hurts me too much. I don't want to suffer heroic measures to save or prolong my own life and I don't want that for the four-leggeds in my care.

Just because we can do something, medically, doesn't mean we should. Each case--human and non-human--is different and has to be taken on an individual basis. The Being's Highest Good must be taken into account. Not our own desires.

I am not looking forward to making these decisions for my remaining (and any future adopted) fur sisters and brothers. But I hope that when the time comes (and please, Goddess, let it be years down the road), I put the physical and emotional welfare of my beloved companions ahead of my own ego-based fears.

Comments