Why do we look forward to the weekend?
1:17AM: Annie jumps up beside me (Derry is cuddled into my side, Nicki is at my feet) and demands her cuddles and scritches by pawing at me, claws extended.
1:30AM: I get up, everyone thinks it's food time, I shut my bedroom door and go back to sleep.
4:00AM: Annie starts jumping at the door, possibly throwing herself against the closed door, to get me up. Her methods are effective; I hear her through my ear plugs. I obey the command.
4:00 - 7:00AM: Let cats out, let cats in, feed cats, give cats treats, repeat. Scrub out all three litter boxes in the basement, haul garbage upstairs and out to the garage so it doesn't smell up the house for a week. Not that I'd notice. Clean myself up and get ready to leave.
7:10AM: At the bus stop, waiting.
7:40AM: Starbucks for a short, non-fat chai while waiting for my bus transfer.
8:05AM: At the evil empire (a.k.a. Wal-Mart) for necessities, kitty treats (okay, those are a necessity too, from the cats' point of view), and a few other things. Glad I brought the credit card. Too bad I had to use it. LOL!
9:00AM: Waiting for the bus.
9:13AM: At Sears, because they have a good sale on and I haven't any summer navy slacks. Hunt almost in vain for my size, which isn't a small one, find one pair of navy pants and hurrah! they fit. 50% off till 11AM, so I'm in luck. (Must return to Value Village soon!)
9:45AM: Bus to Gardiner's Town Centre. Get cat food at Pet Valu. Get groceries at Metro. Exit store at 10:35AM, thinking I have only 10 minutes to wait for a bus to Kingston Centre. Not so, as the #10 runs hourly until 11:15AM, and only then half-hourly. So the next bus heading in my direction is the #71 at 11AM. Wait 27 minutes--he's running late.
11:15AM: Get to Kingston Centre. Carrying a very heavy load of 5 bags, stuffed full of canned cat food and 2-litre bottles of club soda, as well as the Wal-Mart, Sears, and other grocery purchases. My arms have stretched an inch. It's freezing out, winter-jacket weather, in fact. Cold, rainy and raw. I'm chilled to the bone. Wait 15 minutes for my bus.
12:00PM: Home. Finally, happily home after five hours of running around.
12:00 - onward: Unpack all the bags, feed cats, let cats out, let cats in because it's cold and they don't want to be out for long. Do three loads of laundry. Change sheets on bed. Put boys out of my bedroom while changing sheets on the bed. Vacuum top to bottom. Eat mini-cheesecake I bought at Metro. Salad for supper, I swear. Buy Girl Guide cookies because the dad sometimes takes the 6:15AM bus, so I know him by sight. I don't like Girl Guide cookies, they'll be going to work with me on Monday. Check email. Not in the mood to check cat blogs, need a break from that.
I am, in fact, waiting to make a cup of tea and curl up with a book. Any time now would be great, though I have another hour of work, I think.
So explain to me why we look forward to the weekend so much?
Oh, yeah....It's a cubicle-free two days!
1:30AM: I get up, everyone thinks it's food time, I shut my bedroom door and go back to sleep.
4:00AM: Annie starts jumping at the door, possibly throwing herself against the closed door, to get me up. Her methods are effective; I hear her through my ear plugs. I obey the command.
4:00 - 7:00AM: Let cats out, let cats in, feed cats, give cats treats, repeat. Scrub out all three litter boxes in the basement, haul garbage upstairs and out to the garage so it doesn't smell up the house for a week. Not that I'd notice. Clean myself up and get ready to leave.
7:10AM: At the bus stop, waiting.
7:40AM: Starbucks for a short, non-fat chai while waiting for my bus transfer.
8:05AM: At the evil empire (a.k.a. Wal-Mart) for necessities, kitty treats (okay, those are a necessity too, from the cats' point of view), and a few other things. Glad I brought the credit card. Too bad I had to use it. LOL!
9:00AM: Waiting for the bus.
9:13AM: At Sears, because they have a good sale on and I haven't any summer navy slacks. Hunt almost in vain for my size, which isn't a small one, find one pair of navy pants and hurrah! they fit. 50% off till 11AM, so I'm in luck. (Must return to Value Village soon!)
9:45AM: Bus to Gardiner's Town Centre. Get cat food at Pet Valu. Get groceries at Metro. Exit store at 10:35AM, thinking I have only 10 minutes to wait for a bus to Kingston Centre. Not so, as the #10 runs hourly until 11:15AM, and only then half-hourly. So the next bus heading in my direction is the #71 at 11AM. Wait 27 minutes--he's running late.
11:15AM: Get to Kingston Centre. Carrying a very heavy load of 5 bags, stuffed full of canned cat food and 2-litre bottles of club soda, as well as the Wal-Mart, Sears, and other grocery purchases. My arms have stretched an inch. It's freezing out, winter-jacket weather, in fact. Cold, rainy and raw. I'm chilled to the bone. Wait 15 minutes for my bus.
12:00PM: Home. Finally, happily home after five hours of running around.
12:00 - onward: Unpack all the bags, feed cats, let cats out, let cats in because it's cold and they don't want to be out for long. Do three loads of laundry. Change sheets on bed. Put boys out of my bedroom while changing sheets on the bed. Vacuum top to bottom. Eat mini-cheesecake I bought at Metro. Salad for supper, I swear. Buy Girl Guide cookies because the dad sometimes takes the 6:15AM bus, so I know him by sight. I don't like Girl Guide cookies, they'll be going to work with me on Monday. Check email. Not in the mood to check cat blogs, need a break from that.
I am, in fact, waiting to make a cup of tea and curl up with a book. Any time now would be great, though I have another hour of work, I think.
So explain to me why we look forward to the weekend so much?
Oh, yeah....It's a cubicle-free two days!
![]() |
| Friday's morning sky, as I was hurrying to the bus stop. |

Comments
You've hardly slept and managed to pack in all that bus hopping and shopping!!
:-)
But it's a great feeling to not be at work though - even if the two days go so quickly at least the time is near enough your own (it's mainly Annie's, Nicki's and Derry's!).
Glad you got your bargain trousers! And the weather's turned cold again hasn't it but at least the sun's out!
I hope your tea was lovely and that your book was relaxing! What did you end up reading?
Have a lovely rest of the weekend.
Take care
x
*sigh*
I work from home now, so they all pretty much seem the same to me. Sometimes I have to hover my mouse over the calendar to see which day of the week it is!