In the middle of a painting mess
I took the afternoon off yesterday (by the way, Monday's a holiday here, Victoria Day, in celebration of Queen Victoria's "birthday") and picked up a can of paint on my way home. Finally stopped waffling about painting the bedroom--new colour all over versus to paint out the one darker wall I've had for a few years plus do the interior of the closet. So I'm just painting out the one wall, doing touch-ups, and painting the closet.
I thought I'd do the prep work yesterday afternoon, do the painting today and tomorrow. Because that one darker wall probably will need 3 coats. And I have touch-ups over big holes I made trying to put up my curtain rod, move it, etc. Lots of filler, sanding, more filler, more sanding and priming needed there! That's still in the works.
But I did manage to get the first coat on the wall yesterday anyway, and start to cut in inside the closet. Oh, how I hate cutting in! And the prep work! The actual painting (roller) is fine.
It's been a few years since I've done any painting in the house and I had a moment of panic when I started to cut in along one corner: Aacckkk, this is not the same colour paint! Gee, Kim, you have to let it dry first. I knew that. Really.
So now, because there's no overhead light in the room (in any of the upstairs bedrooms), I have to wait till it's light enough to do the second coat and start in on the closet. Maybe I'll go back to bed for a while. Or go shopping first! :-)
I think I'll have a look for new inexpensive sheers and a new (darker) curtain rod, and will juggle my "art work" around. I've had the same prints in my bedroom for years, love them, but it's time to shuffle things around, make a bit of a change, freshen things up.
And now I'm very glad I chose only to paint out the dark wall, not redo the entire room. I'd almost forgotten what a lot of work this is!
P.S. The paint is Para-Paints, latex acrylic, eggshell. It's beautiful paint (quality), just gorgeous, goes on so smoothly and has excellent coverage! Not super-cheap, but well worth the $50 for a gallon. I like Behr paint too (carried at Home Depot) and want to try their new primer + paint in one for my upper and lower hallways.
I thought I'd do the prep work yesterday afternoon, do the painting today and tomorrow. Because that one darker wall probably will need 3 coats. And I have touch-ups over big holes I made trying to put up my curtain rod, move it, etc. Lots of filler, sanding, more filler, more sanding and priming needed there! That's still in the works.
But I did manage to get the first coat on the wall yesterday anyway, and start to cut in inside the closet. Oh, how I hate cutting in! And the prep work! The actual painting (roller) is fine.
It's been a few years since I've done any painting in the house and I had a moment of panic when I started to cut in along one corner: Aacckkk, this is not the same colour paint! Gee, Kim, you have to let it dry first. I knew that. Really.
So now, because there's no overhead light in the room (in any of the upstairs bedrooms), I have to wait till it's light enough to do the second coat and start in on the closet. Maybe I'll go back to bed for a while. Or go shopping first! :-)
I think I'll have a look for new inexpensive sheers and a new (darker) curtain rod, and will juggle my "art work" around. I've had the same prints in my bedroom for years, love them, but it's time to shuffle things around, make a bit of a change, freshen things up.
I stuck everything in the closet for the night, so the cats wouldn't get into it and "help" me. Note that old dollar store shower curtain liners make excellent drop cloths!
I want laminate in all the bedrooms, eventually, so I really don't care if I get paint on this ugly builders-beige carpet! Or on the old baseboards.
At least I don't have much furniture in the bedroom to move, not even a headboard!
And now I'm very glad I chose only to paint out the dark wall, not redo the entire room. I'd almost forgotten what a lot of work this is!
P.S. The paint is Para-Paints, latex acrylic, eggshell. It's beautiful paint (quality), just gorgeous, goes on so smoothly and has excellent coverage! Not super-cheap, but well worth the $50 for a gallon. I like Behr paint too (carried at Home Depot) and want to try their new primer + paint in one for my upper and lower hallways.



Comments
I have now painted SO much that I no longer use tape for the cut in. I have purchased an excellent tapered brush that does the job faster and, dare I say it? Better!
It's such a great feeling when it's done!
I remember years ago when I thought I'd paint the walls of the living room terracotta - and thinking it was just a matter of splashing paint on - didn't protect the skirting boards or do any prep work and just slapped the paint on. LOL!!!! Anyway, we got a painter man to correct what I did eventually.
:-)
I really like your flower heading too!
Take care
x