Thursday Update
So. Physio and Geriatrics have seen Harry, today in fact. He'll be in the hospital through the weekend, at least, and when he's able to get around enough, will move to a rehab centre. Geriatrics noted a deterioration in Harry's cognitive abilities/memory from two years ago, when he his first assessment done, and he's been told not to drive anymore. Which I think is a bit odd, considering he's not likely to get out of a care facility for quite some time. Perhaps not ever. They want to reassess him in September, when he's recovered from the surgery. I am presuming, perhaps erroneously, that he'll remain in the rehab centre for the duration.
Physio did have him up and taking about half a dozen steps today, to sit in a chair, but that's it. Is this the norm/average recovery time and process for a 79-year old, post-hip surgery?
I think there's a lesson in here somewhere, something about being proactive in our own lives and making preparations for our care, what we want done if we are in a situation where we can't care for ourselves. Not letting life all come crashing down on us at once, if we can help it, even in small ways. And not letting the burden of our care fall to one person.
Most of us don't, though, do we?
I guess we don't want to face the inevitable in life. Human nature.
Anyway.
No interesting pics today, just a couple of snapshots from the garden, as I could use plant identification. This stuff is good ground cover, as it spreads very well and seems to thrive in shade. Anyone know what it is?
P.S. Yes, Jacqueline, I do have a Friday Eye Candy post scheduled; I did it last weekend. :-)
Physio did have him up and taking about half a dozen steps today, to sit in a chair, but that's it. Is this the norm/average recovery time and process for a 79-year old, post-hip surgery?
I think there's a lesson in here somewhere, something about being proactive in our own lives and making preparations for our care, what we want done if we are in a situation where we can't care for ourselves. Not letting life all come crashing down on us at once, if we can help it, even in small ways. And not letting the burden of our care fall to one person.
Most of us don't, though, do we?
I guess we don't want to face the inevitable in life. Human nature.
Anyway.
No interesting pics today, just a couple of snapshots from the garden, as I could use plant identification. This stuff is good ground cover, as it spreads very well and seems to thrive in shade. Anyone know what it is?
P.S. Yes, Jacqueline, I do have a Friday Eye Candy post scheduled; I did it last weekend. :-)


Comments
Hope Harry improves greatly with the in-house care, I know my own Dad did and he came home after 40+ days in a hospital and "dying" in the hospital and being resuscitated. So I have seen miracles.
Thanks for the update on Harry. It's good to hear that he is being given physio and being assessed. I hope he continues to get stronger and that his aftercare will be thorough with all posibilities covered. I really hope so!
I'm also assuming that he'll be kept in the rehab centre until September at least? I hope so again! I'm assuming he will need a lot of nursing? I'm hoping it won't fall on your mum to do this? Oh dear.
How is your mum coping with all this btw? It must be so awful for her too. I'm sending her tons of virtual hugs!
Oh I'm one of those who live on a day by day basis solely because I'm not very organised or focused!! But there really is a lesson to be learned here isn't there? Oh dear again!
I shall continue to keep the candles in my heart burning for Harry and your mum!
Take care
x
Yaay for FEC!!! It's Friday midday here already, the eye candy should be here soon too!