Riveted to Chilean Miners' Rescue

I've had live-streaming video playing all day here at the office, from our CBC news site. No commentary, just audio/visual, no translation. Would that I had a translator! Every time they bring up a miner, I've stopped my work and watched. Miner #18 has just come up, as I type.

I'm sure much of the world is riveted to this incredible drama.

It's beyond my imagining, to fathom what it's like to be trapped almost 700 metres below ground. Even with rescue on the way, the physical and psychological toll would be heavy. Especially the psychological.

And what happens to all these men when the elation wears off? Can any of them actually live a normal life again? How do they readjust? How do they go on when their "hero" status fades in the months to come? I'm sure some will have PTSD, post-traumatic stress disorder. What of the miner whose wife and girlfriend found out about each other at the site? I jokingly thought perhaps he might not want to come back up--or that his wife and/or girlfriend might not want him to, either. Life won't be all happy happy, joy joy for at least some of them, or for their families.

But right now it's about their rescue, the triumph of overcoming immense odds, the sense of community, of working together for the Highest Good of these men.

I don't believe in a personal deity, but even I find myself wanting to say, "Thank you, God. Thank you, Goddess."

Photobucket

Comments

Old Kitty said…
I remember when the story of these trapped miners first broke and it was like they won't be rescued until Christmas?!?! And I was like - what?!?!

So this is just incredible!! The live streaming at the BBC has commentary from BBC reporters and they all are pondering these mens' futures. I think I agree when they say life will definitely not be the same for these guys and their families to say the least!!!

It's an incredible story - I'm just glad that they're safe now and out of that underground prison!!

23 miners now rescued, 10 more to go!! yay!!!

Take care
x
Anonymous said…
We have been following the news too. Actually Crazy has and he has been reporting them back to me while I kept on reading things that does not require paying much attention.

Hayfever can cause serious attention deficit... not even kidding :P