Update on Annie

I was out shopping till late morning, got home to find a message from the vet. Looks like Annie has a bladder infection, not kidney failure. He said he'd left antibiotics for her (pills -- she can't be pilled) and I could pick them up before they closed at noon.

I called right away, about 11:20AM, said Annie can't be pilled -- how many times have I told the vets this?

But gee, they didn't have any liquid Clavamox, for crying out loud. Wouldn't get any in until mid-week. What kind of clinic is this? The receptionist suggested I bring her in for a Convenia shot, but I balked at that because it can cause anemia and death in a small percentage of cats. So she asked the on-duty vet (not the one who looked at Annie's test results) if I could wait till mid-week, but the vet didn't feel I should. So off I rushed via taxi, with Annie in the carrier, for her Convenia shot. And I hope to high heaven I haven't killed her with it, though she was fine after the dental surgery in Feburary -- she'd had the shot then, before I knew about its possible side effects.

The girls at the front desk don't much like me because I don't take their word as gospel and prefer to research what my cats get. I made it very clear I was worried about the Convenia and boy, did one of them give me the cold shoulder as she was giving me my copies of the UA and bloodwork as I was leaving. Yeah, you can stuff it where the sun don't shine, lady. I wouldn't take my doctor's word as gospel, why should I trust a vet or vet tech to any higher degree?

Anyway, Dr. Ross wants to see her back for a re-test in two weeks. Fingers crossed the shot does the trick, but I think that antibiotic is meant more for soft tissue infections. If she needs more, I'll hold out for the liquid Clavamox.

I'm pissed off about the clinic right now and not feeling kindly toward some of the staff, but I'll take a bladder infection over kidney failure any day.

Maybe later I'll be in the mood to do a "happy new year" post. Maybe after a shot of rye!

Photobucket

Comments

Marg said…
Sure glad it was just a bladder infection. Hope the shot works too and doesn't hurt her. Anyway, Happy New year. Just think tomorrow will be a whole New year.
Jacqueline said…
So glad Annie's illness is not too serious and she will be fine after meds...Hang in there, Kim=you are a great Mom and I'm sure you have done the best for her...Fingers crossed you see improvement over the weekend...Have a drink or two :) and enjoy the rest of your day with your beautiful babies...Big hugs, sweet friend; wishing you a wonderful New Year filled with great health and tremendous joy for you, your gorgeous babies and extended family.
Katnip Lounge said…
Well I am SO happy it's nothing life-threatening! Several of my crew have had that shot with no ill effects...spoil that lil' girl and feed her up with treats and kitty junk food this weekend. Of course Derry and Nicki need some too!

Happy New Year! I'm sure I'll be fast asleep by 9 PM surrounded by Cats. What a party animal...NOT!
ANGEL ABBYGRACE said…
Kim
I am SO relieved that it is a bladder infection VS something like CRF! I am in total agreement with you about taking ANY medical person's word on treatment. I have had the same type of treatment from the staff too. Not so much the Vet, but the staffers. The last time I had Abby in they wanted to give her all types of shots and I wouldn't let them, as it turns out I did allow them to do the rabies (it's the law and they have to comply) but I really didn't even want her to have that. They tried to make me feel guilty about NOT doing flea treatment and really put a great deal of emphasis on heart worms...(we do have a lot of mosquitoes here)...but the odds of her getting heartworms from a mosquito bite is so remote. But you would have thought I was subjecting her to extremely risky circumstances from the way the Vet tech talked to me. I know it's upsetting but YOU know what's best for Annie. And you know what? She probably would have been OK until mid-week. Although it would be worrisome until you got the medicine for her.
Still I am greatly relieved.
IT is GOOD news and you will see much improvement with her now that you know that is what it is.
Now pass that glass of rye...
Happy New Year!
Admiral Hestorb said…
Oh man, what great news! Bladder infection over kidney disease...I'll take it any day of the week!!! Annie, I love you..please drink lots to help your urinary tract and give mommy some love. Happy New Year to you kitties and mommy.
xoxox
Old Kitty said…
Oh Annie, sweet and lovely and gorgeous crabilitated Annie!! She is so lucky to have you fighting her corner, Kim!!! Someone has to!! I think I'm not liking your vets too - they're the ones who say not to take adorable Annie over the weekend right cos they can't handle her or some rubbish like that?!!?! Pish and posh and nonsense!!! Unbelievable!!!

Anyway!! :-) I have everything crossed that the shot and the meds will work for Annie - hopefully she'll respond really well so in two weeks time there won't be anymore need to see the vets for a while!! Good luck Annie, good luck Kim!!! I hope the shot of rye helps too!! Yay for Annie and for you! Take care

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!
x