Aha! Adult Separation Anxiety Disorder!

Wow, there really is such a thing, not to be confused with other anxiety disorders like agoraphobia. I've been wondering if there is something that would fit with my fear of leaving the fur kids.


Interesting how this is a relatively new mental illness, perhaps created for the purpose of selling more drugs. (That's my cynical viewpoint.) On the other hand, while I don't think I qualify for an extreme case, it seems to fit quite well with how I feel about leaving the fur kids to travel, even for a day. With no offense or upset intended to my mom, I'm dreading going away in the fall to visit, dreading both the air travel and leaving the boys. I do get anxious to get home to them at the end of a work day, do get anxious to be back home with them after a handful of hours on the weekend spent doing errands.

Naturally, this co-occurs with other mood disorders/mental illness (copied from the same site's info):

Mood Disorders
Major depressive disorders: 40.8 percent
Dysthymia: 8.9 percent
Bipolar disorder: 19.4 percent
Any mood disorder: 61.7 percent
Any mental disorder (includes substance abuse): 88.5 percent

Nice to know that the older I get, the crazier I get. LOL.

Gee, I wonder what other "disorders" I have that I have yet to find a name for. Hmm, think I'll pass on doing any more research, thanks, and go home and have a cold beer.

Have an anxiety-free day, everyone.

Universal Blessings and Light to All Beings.

Comments

Random Felines said…
My college roommate was a psych major - can't imagine what she tried to diagnose me as....and how bad it would be now. :) Love the pics - the boys get cuter all the time!!
That picture of Nicki is precious. Derry is always such a cutie. I know I have that adult separation anxiety thing, and a healthy dose of the agoraphobia. Honestly, along with some other things I'm too insecure to ever discuss. Just don't beat yourself up. For me, trying to not be the way others (even my mom) think I need to be helps a lot. For whatever reasons we have them, we all have our limitations of many kinds. For me, accepting myself as I am, and learning I can be happy being me is a daily process. I may miss some events. But I find, here at home, I'm ok with that. Actually, here at home, I find I'm ok.
Old Kitty said…
How interesting!!

You know a couple of days ago I posted a cute clip on my blog of a doggie who went berserk when her human daddy returned from afghanistan? Well there was another clip - a news follow up on that clip where the family were interviewed and the soldier guy actually said he suspected something like an "anxiety separation" with Rosie the dog when he left from the letters he received from his wife. How Rosie was playing up, acting out of sorts, being extremely needy etc. And her very emotional explosion at his return was the embodiment of her very real depression. Very very interesting!! This psychological behaviour is so so so real!!!!

Awwww look at lovely Derry and sweet Nicki!!! I hope the article clarifies things a little bit for you. I just think understanding one's illnesses always helps. It does me anyway. It's like the past two years, I've been unable to shake off this stupid virus and have had no explanation as to what's causing this when previously I was quite healthy and robust. It doesn't help that I'm in a fog about all this and that docs have treated me as some kind of whingeing minnie! I know what I feel is real and is depleting me physically and emotionally but the docs are all dismissive. I'd love to come across an article like the ASAD one that just gives a name to what you are feeling!!!

Anyway, I am rambling on now and it's near midnight!! LOL!! Hugs to your gorgeous furr babies!! Take care
x
ANGEL ABBYGRACE said…
Since we've had the cats in 2005 I have left them once. So that means only one vacation. They did alright without me, I did take Abby with me, but she had such a bad time adapting to my relatives house I think I would leave her home if (IF!!!) we go again. I think I would. *sigh* I probably would be freaking out worried out of my mind without her.
*sigh* I wonder what neurosis that is all about.
:-)

xoxoxox
Janet NZ said…
I hate being away from my darlings. The best thing about our last two holidays is there have been cats who adopted us while we were there.
I would love to travel to Europe or America, but it's not going to happen, because it would be crazy to go all that way for a short time. But, if we go for a long time I WOULD be crazy with anxiety...
Crazyness abounds! I'm glad I'm not alone in this :-)
Cory said…
Since we adopted Grete, we have not spent one night away from her. We are planning our first away vacation in years later this year and I'm a mess thinking about it.

We've only left the kitties a couple of nights at a time since we adopted Cory. I hate being away from them.

Cory's mom,

Lori
Anonymous said…
LOL ~ I like to say "if you know you have a problem... then it's not as much of a problem.." haha!

I think we all have our quirks and I for one know I have lots of mood disorders. Anxiety, Panic Attacks, Worry... oh yes... I know them well...

Happy Stress Free Weekend friend!
xo Catherine
Ellen Whyte said…
it's unacceptable today to feel anger, pain, etc. Yet it's part of life. I don't get this obsession with "soma" pills.

We've got a new kitten. Come and take a look?
I am exactly the same.

When I had my Bobo (who I had for 18 yrs) I barely took ANY trips at all because I didn't want to leave him. Of course I took a few in 18 yrs but nothing compared to what others take.

Both Cody and Dakota are 4 (going on 5 yrs old) and do you know my husband and I have NEVER been away over night since we have had them?

I am going to BlogPaws in August and while I am looking forward to meeting everyone and learning, my heart breaks at the thought of leaving my boys. I also worry if my husband is as capable as caring for them as I am. He IS, but I can't get myself to believe that.
((((hugs))))