He makes my heart ache, just a tiny bit

I took the afternoon off yesterday, after my dental, so headed home early. The driver was a fairly new one, not someone I see often, though we have chatted, as passengers and drivers often do, over the Christmas holidays when he was filling in on my usual run.

I suppose he's a nice enough looking man, around my age, though I'm not attracted to him, don't even know his name or current marital status. Nor do I want to know. I do know he was divorced several years ago, that he has two daughters (and fur kids), that one of his daughters went with the mom, the other stayed with him. I also know that the mother passed away a year ago this past spring--cancer--and that the girls have had a tough time since, understandably. I do know that he got choked up telling me something one of his daughter's said shortly after the mom died, scared that he (her dad) would leave them too.

The idea of what he represents--a male who has known deep loss and suffering, who actually isn't shallow and self-centered--makes my heart ache just a tiny bit. Because I've never actually met one who, ultimately, wasn't completely self-absorbed. I guess that even after a decade on my own, there's still a small kernel within me that would have liked to have had a good partner/mate, someone with integrity, with faithfulness, with honour. None of those things may apply to this person, you understand--and it's not about him.

Of course, I long ago gave up on the idea of lasting, real love between partners. I don't think it's possible, except in very rare cases. I know full well that almost any man (and many women, let's be fair) eventually will cheat on his partner, if he thinks he can get away with it. And I know it has nothing to do with love for his spouse/mate. (And anyone who doesn't think that's the case is out in la-la land and could be in for a rude awakening, IMO. An honest man, a baldly honest man, will admit this.)

I wouldn't change my life now, I don't date and haven't been involved in any way with someone in over nine years. I don't sit at home and pine for a partner--I sit at home and do other things. LOL.

But once in a long while, as it is with this particular bus driver, something will remind me that I still am human, with the basic human need to love and be loved, not until someone better comes along, but for the long haul.

More garden blooms
Universal Blessings and Light to All Beings.

Comments

Barbara said…
Hi Kim, what a touching post and such lovely flower pics.

Just to let you know I'm emailing you the pumpkin recipe and I'll delete your email from my page. Barbara x
Katnip Lounge said…
My heart aches a little bit, too, for both you and the bus driver. I've accepted that hurt is something inescapable and I must live with it. I may hate it, I'll be upset, depressed and lonely, but I have to have it to point out to me how wonderful the good moments are. Something that is consistently wonderful is just more than my soul can stand...like chasing a high after that first buzz...it's just ain't as good after a while.
Two summers ago Scott had a major manic episode and disassociated from reality for about four months...probably one of the most immediately horrible times in my life, but I have to say, while it was happening I felt excruciatingly ALIVE, an in the moment. We lived through it, and we're still going strong. Terrible things are like a crucible; you need extreme fire to become a new compound sometimes. At least I do.
Thanks for a wonderful post.
ANGEL ABBYGRACE said…
I do believe that if you love something or someone they will or it will hurt you at some point. Because life is all about ups and downs, sadness and happiness, good times and bad. I like the middle road, I really feel most comfortable there, and I have settled for things because of the comfort. I may never blaze a trail but I will always be there bringing up the rear! It is a universal feeling to want to love and be loved, and perhaps that is a part of why we are so attached to our furbabies.

xoxoxox
Janet NZ said…
Abby is very wise.
Loving and partnership are not easy. And not always good.
But when they work - it's very nice.
That said, if it all went pear-shaped on me tomorrow - I would probably do the rest of my life exactly the way you are doing yours. Which would not be a bad thing. xxx
Beautiful post. I agree with all the comments. I used to think I could not survive without a husband, or male figure in my life. But I know now I make bad choices in mates. I learned there are some things worse than being alone. I also learned we are all human, very human, mistakes, hurts, joys and all. We have to be kind to ourselves. The world "out there" is cruel enough. And love connects us all, furred and not, the sharng of it, the want of it, even the need of it.
Old Kitty said…
Awwww Kim!! I love that you know so much about the bus driver! I'm the very nosey type but the type who will sit behind you as you and the bus driver talk and I'll be taking notes too! LOL!

But seriously!! Relationships should never be so complicated but in reality they are, they are!! (This is where I think the rest of the animal kingdom got it sussed. They don't have time for complications - their genetic need is to survive, evolve, mate and breed. The end!LOL!) I think the beauty of a true partnership is how two individuals are able to deal with such complexities. There will always be pain and sorrow, hurt and anger but these emotions have opposites too - yin and yang and all that.

The romantic in me would like to think that there are individuals out there who are emotionally mature enough, experienced and intelligent enough to be able to do things with another for the long haul!

Is that your hosta in your blog header?!?! Beautiful!!! Take care
x
Boom Nisanart said…
Kim,

Believe it or not ? I used to think like you and intend to be Alone for the rest of my life. And with the thought " I still am human, with the basic human need to love and be loved " I chose to be love by friends and love all of them instead choosing someone to have a long commitment , Just because I was scared to get heart aches ! Life circle is like Abby said. I even scared one day, in the old age if the person who I love dead, what I'm going to do ! To chop up of all hurt, I did chose to live alone ( and at that time,and I got no clue about cats )

But in some how, My life turns funny, when I denied it. They sent my husband to my life. And he is a broken one. He been divorced ! we didn't think about long relationship at that time. I learn from my past, every one come, and go even whoever you think is yours ! One day, All will be the same..dead. What I want to do ? Keep my love with myself for the rest of my life ? I did ask this question to myself. And I decide I need to love. I do love him without expecting ( It wasn't easy though ), and after 3 years later we got married . But it wasn't easy ! I didn't think I will survive ! I am a hardcore being myself and so does him. And plus on top of Culture Issue ( I'm asian, He is Western ).

Took both of us 8 years to adjust ourself to each others, and now we survive ! We love each other and we are great friend !

Life is complicated, Kim but don't you completely shut your door, Open some gaps to let yourself breath, You never known what your life is going to be.

xoxo
Puddy's Mom
Poppy Q said…
Kim we are all touched by your post. Just me and Poppy on the couch tonight and I wonder if that is the way it will be for the rest of my life. However, I like having my house the way I want it, and not having to pick up smelly socks or cleaning up anyone else mess or sharing the remote control. But the door is always open - just a little bit.

Julie Q
xxxx
Anonymous said…
Such a touching post. I think in the end, we can always count on ourselves, so that is why it's always so important to love ourselves.

Sending you a big hug!
xo Catherine
Mr Puddy said…
I just back to read others, OMC ! Poppy Q' Mom make a point..MOL... That's what I'm up too and Lots of time, I miss my single life : ) You could end up dead you know ? when you have to pick up those socks !
xox
Very touching post and very honest take on life and relationships.
I have to agree with what Puddy said:

"Life is complicated, Kim but don't you completely shut your door, Open some gaps to let yourself breath, You never known what your life is going to be."

I have been hurt by men more often than not in my life and I also come from an abusive household (growing up my mother was beyond verbally and physically abusive). Trust me I have issues out the ying-yang.
I never trusted ANYONE man or woman completely.
I started to change in the past 10 years, I started to think more positively and act more positive and that in turn brought more positive things into my life.
I have been with men who cheated, but there ARE good ones out there.
My husband was also married before, (so was I, but very briefly). We have our issues but we have a desire to make it work.
We aren't perfect, there is no perfect marriage or union and anyone who says theirs is perfect is lying.
Try and keep an open heart/mind, that is the only way that ANYONE can get in.

xoxoxo
Pia K said…
a beautiful, sad post and i will leave it at that, as so many wise and good words have already been said above.