Eggless Pumpkin Pie

I thought I'd post this easy recipe for anyone who likes pumpkin but wants to try making it up as a "pie" without using eggs.

  • 2 cups pure pumpkin (canned or fresh)
  • 2 cups milk (I used lactose-free skim and didn't put a full 2 cups in, it seemed like too much)
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar (or less if you prefer, as I do)
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 3 TBSP cornstarch
  • 2 tsp lemon extract (??? -- the directions didn't mention it, so I skipped it--I've never seen a pumpkin pie recipe that takes lemon extract, so thought it had been an error when being posted on-line)
  • pinch of salt
Add salt, cinnamon and cornstarch to pumpkin, stir well. Add sugar, then milk. Bake in an unbaked pie shell (I never make or use a crust--it's only the pumpkin I want), 450F for 10 minutes, then 350F for an hour.

Optional: Omit 1 cup of milk and the brown sugar and replace with 1 can of sweetened condensed milk.

I wasn't sure how this would come out, as the pumpkin "pie" I've always made is the traditional one with eggs and evaporated milk. But I actually liked the taste and texture of this even more than the usual recipe I make. I also liked that you can cook this up without eggs, as I'm eating enough of those as it is. It could be jazzed up with a bit more spice, though. Next time I make this, and I will use this recipe again, I'll add in some nutmeg and ginger too.

Image courtesy of Microsoft's free clipart/photo gallery. I don't do this kind of  "fancy" in anything. LOL.
I hope everyone has something particularly tasty today!

Universal Blessings and Light to All Beings.

Comments

Old Kitty said…
Awwww is it time for pumpkin pie!??! I feel so autumnal now!! I must have crust though! LOL!!!

Sounds good and so easy - got you baking! Yay!! Take care
x
Pumpkin pie? It must be Autumn already!
MTVA said…
I can't wait to try this! I imagine it might be like a pumpkin pudding, and it sounds delicious. Thanks for posting the recipe.
Ellen Whyte said…
My other half is allergic to egg white so this is interesting.
Anonymous said…
Mmmm... I love pumpkin pie!!
xo Catherine
Pia K said…
oh goodie, i have loads of frozen pumpkin in the freezer and i want to omit as much of eggs as possible, this sounds lovely, will try! when i get the baking urge, sadly doesn't happen that often these days, or maybe it was summer...