I've fallen (into an alternate reality) and I can't get up

So you know my morning, at the vet with Nicki. Oh, that reminds me, one the values that was a bit high was his ALT--liver--value. The top value is either 125 or 130 and he was one or the other. So either at high normal or just above high normal--I think just above high normal. That can happen with fatty liver disease, which he doesn't have, hyper-t (not likely as he's only 5), with liver cancer, ingesting some meds (none) and some other liver disease. The vet noted it and said we probably should follow up in a year, but didn't seem overly concerned. I don't have a copy of the blood work yet, but if anyone knows of a "normal" (i.e. non-life-threatening) reason for that, do let me know.

How many things I can I be paranoid about? I'm still measuring Derry's pee clumps, so one thing at a time.

Anyway, that was the morning.

This afternoon I was at my desk when the former co-worker showed up and stopped in front of my cubicle. (Do I have to explain who the former co-worker is? No, I don't think so.) I told her that B. was in his office, as last week she popped up looking for him, presumably not realizing I was in the office. She wasn't looking for him, apparently. She smiled and asked me how everyone was doing.

I truly have fallen into an alternate reality.

After not saying one. single. word. to me in 33 weeks and 2 days she comes up and asks how everyone (meaning the cats) is doing?

I was floored. 

I didn't respond well.

While I can't recall verbatim what I said, I do know it was to ask why was she bothering now when she hadn't said a word to me in eight months. And I did say that I wasn't going to talk to her about anything that wasn't work-related. She seemed taken aback (!) by that--I can't remember what she said and what I said in response, but I was a bit intense. Finally I said that this (i.e. work) wasn't the place for this, to which she agreed and left.

Let me tell you, the gods are crazy, and the universe has a bizarre sense of humour.

Comments

Old Kitty said…
Better out than in, is what I say!
:-)

I can't see any other way for you to respond really to this work colleague. I think you were honest and hey if she couldn't take it then she can go and be passive aggressive elsewhere.

I think she so knows she hurt you deeply when you were at your most vulnerable.

As for lovely Nicki, I'm purely guessing, purely guessing! But would diet come into this? Then maybe once he gets used to the Derry diet too maybe his ALT results will improve?

Take care
x
Admiral Hestorb said…
I agree with Old Kitty. Every word. I would have said the same except I stopped tyo read her comment forst.

xoxox
Pia K said…
for all the times one never says what one thinks and feels, whenever one really does, it makes one very proud of oneself, don't you think? well done! and if she had said something like sorry, i know i probably hurt your feelings when i spoke like that and it wasn't really appropriate, things would have been different, eh? but she didn't and well well done, for speaking up for yourself like that!! it's crazy how some people think they can get away with anything and with enough time passed the other person feels it's to awkward to mention it again. little did she now;)

as i couldn't say anything helpful regarding nicki's tests i will just send hopes of him feeling better soon. take care of eachother and have a lovely weekend.