I need another weekend

I need another weekend to just collapse and do nothing. How can someone who has no family here be so busy?

Friday's errands just rolled into Saturday, of course. I took the 6:20AM bus up to Wal-Mart (it's open 24/7 now, till Christmas) and spent two hours stocking up on litter, household items and getting half a month's supply of groceries. Cabbed home, with a full trunk and back seat. Whew.

Then it was out again for more running around, picking up a few things here and there, plus a couple more grocery items I couldn't get at Wal-Mart.

Home to laundry and more laundry, cooking and cleaning. It's a blur. Seriously.

Today I went back to Wal-Mart and Zellers...for myself. The boys magically did a little bit of Christmas shopping for me for a change, and all on sale, too--aren't you impressed? They even helped wrapped everything up and put it under the tree. I suppose that's superbly silly, but I did it so they could have the fun of the paper and boxes on Christmas Day. And so I could have the fun of watching them.

The best purchase I came home with was two pairs of Merrell winter boots, much needed. I have hikers, but not winter hikers. I saw these in SportChek, last year's boots, $150 down to $100. And it was buy one pair (any) and get the second (any) for 50% off. I bought two pairs of the same boots. And I suppose that also sounds silly, but when I wear the first pair out, I'll have a second pair. Years ago I had bought summer hikers from the same store and they were the most comfortable pair of shoes I've ever had. I wore them to death and ended up mentally kicking myself for not buying two pairs at the time.

And if anyone in my family sends  some Christmas money, I might be able to pay them off. LOL.

Now I have a beef stew in the oven, enough to feed about 6 people, so feel free to teleport over if you eat meat.  :-)

Usually I make stew in my crock pot, but Mom had emailed me this recipe, which I'm trying for the first time:

Oven Stew from one of Jean Paré's cookbooks:

2 lbs stewing beef
5 potatoes, quartered
2 onions, quartered
5 carrots, halved if large
28 ounce tin stewed or diced tomatoes
2 tsp beef stock powder
3 TBSP minute Tapioca
1 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp worcestershire sauce
1 tsp salt (can omit if using the beef stock powder, it's salty enough)
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp sugar

(Of course you can use whatever root vegetables you wish!)

Put the meat in a roasting pan. Sprinkle tapioca and other dry ingredients over the meat. Then sprinkle lemon juice and worcestershire over the meat and spices. Add veggies, pour tomatoes over all. 

Bake covered -- 250F for 3 hours or 225F for 4 hours, or whatever suits you best.

Covered in tomatoes and ready to cook!
Mom says it's the best stew she's ever made, so we'll see!

I hope everyone's had a great weekend, with some time for relaxing amid the season's craziness.

Universal Blessings, Light and Mercy to All Beings.

Comments

Katnip Lounge said…
The stew sounds WONDERFUL. I'd certainly have a bite just to taste it!
I also love Merrel shoes, they wear well and are so comfortable...have you ever had a pair of Keen shoes? Pricey but the same fit and quality. I've gotten mine from eBay reasonably by purchasing last years' models.
I have three day weekends all this month, what a treat!
Like I said, I don't know how working women do it. Thanks for the recipe. I'm ready to try a new beef stew.
Old Kitty said…
I love slow roast cooked recipes - one where you flavour potatoes (and meat) with all sorts and then leave to just cook all by itself! Yum!! It certainly sounds like the best stew!!!

Oh I'm envious of your hiking boots! I so need another pair - and am waiting for the bargains to start!!

Looks like Christmas is all set and ready to go in your home! Hooorah! I'm yet to put up my tree! LOL! Take care
x
Anonymous said…
Don't you wonder where the time goes? I had basically all last week off being sick and yet, I would love to have this week off to catch up on the things I couldn't do last week. Perhaps we need to be cloned. ;)
xo Catherine
Cory said…
My weekend was much the same.....tons of errands and cleaning and not much downtime! We too wrap gifts from the kitties!
Pia K said…
adore your header!

and i think it's very prudent to get two pairs of shoes (when you know they're great) at the same time, that rarely happens and i can totally relate to the feeling when they're worn out and you realise you can't find a new pair. so well done you!