Dodged the Dental Bullet!

I'm very happy to say that while Derry is in between stage 1 and stage 2 periodontal disease, he doesn't need a cleaning at this time...because there's very little tartar to actually clean (just a little bit on the left upper jaw at the back, on a couple of his few remaining teeth).

He's also down to 4.89 kg (just a shade under 11 pounds), down about a pound from his fall check.

Of course, as soon as he got put in the carrier he started to sing his warrior song, which isn't nearly as loud as Nicki's and sounds rather plaintive and desperate to me.

Then, when we got home after the "ordeal," he zoomed out of the carrier, and lay down on the floor in a sauve and debonair pose (rather akin to Clooney's), as if it was nothing at all. Never mind that he had been shaking like a leaf on the exam table.  :-P

So, I'll keep rubbing his gums with the pet toothpaste I have, and see how things go. The vet surmised Derry might need a dental in a year or two (unless problems develop in the meantime), but not now.

Yay! That was $83 well spent, IMO. Thanks so much for the good vibes, they must have worked!

I'm not sure Smoochy Boy would agree though.

I wonder if he thinks he's hidden behind those old stalks.
Snapped yesterday after work.
Universal Blessings, Light and Mercy to All Beings.

Comments

Josie said…
Hooray for dodging the dental bullet! I hope Figgy's prognosis is good after his antibiotics.
Old Kitty said…
OH Derry!! Awwwww the thought of him shaking on the table at the vet's!! That's so sad in a really cute awwwwwww type way! Dontcha just want to cuddle him big time!??! He's adorable!!

GREAT NEWS about his teeth!! Well done you Kim!! He's in great hands!!

Love how afterwards, he goes about like nothing's happened! LOL! Of course he's a very chic and most handsome boy!

p.s. Charlie insists on lodging himself on the windowsill at the vet's place and adopts this "I am looking out of the window and I don't want to know what is happening behind me so be so kind as to not disturb me" type of thing, prompting a few vets to ask if he's affectionate in any way. It's such a very weird question. At first I got upset when they asked me that but after the third time, I just shrug and say "meh, he's his own cat". I guess it's because he's not purring or wanting to be close to me when he gets examined (as he stays on the windowsill! LOL!) but I just think it's his way of dealing with trauma!

Hugs to you and Derry and Nicki!

Take care
x
JC said…
That is just a cool photo. Glad dental isn't needed now.

We did Maddy Jean, our dog, a while ago and she had a bit of trouble with the recovery. She's eight now and needed an extra day to get back to who she normally is.

Hopefully we won't need to do that for a long while.
How wonderful that Derry didn't need a cleaning. Now you two can both relax. Not in the same way, of course, unless you really DO want to stretch out on the floor. Up to you.
Admiral Hestorb said…
Derry darling, you are just so gorgeous. I know what you're thiking.."Mom Carole, time for a new baby!!"
ANGEL ABBYGRACE said…
Glad things worked out so well at the Vet's for Derry.,oh what a cutie pie he is!
Xoxox
Anonymous said…
Such a cute photo! Glad the dentist was avoided this time!
xo Catherine
Purrfect Haven said…
what an ordeal.. but at least not much actual dental work... fingers crossed.... happy new year.. Love Helen, Darcy and Bingley xxx
Ellen Whyte said…
Hooray for dodging the dental bullet! My your vets are expensive! May you be vet-free this year :-)