What, winter again? And other randomness.

We have winter again (crazy concept for February in Ontario). A few centimeters of snow; that's nothing. It's the freakin' minus 25 Celcius windchill we had today and will have tomorrow. I refused to venture out at all today--almost unheard of for me, for a Saturday--except for quickly clearing the driveway. Coffee with a friend tomorrow morning, but at least he'll pick me up, no waiting at a bus stop or trundling off on foot.

Snapped around 5PM this afternoon. Even Nicki's not impressed with the temps or snow.
Our City's greenhouse is open Sunday afternoons now, starting tomorrow. I won't be going right away. Maybe next weekend or the weekend after. Next weekend's the cat show, though.

One of last year's greenhouse snapshots.
I finished kitty blanket #11, which really is #10, this morning. The one I had on the go last weekend still is on the go. I put it aside to see how the remnant "unknown fibre" wool from Wal-Mart would knit up. Quickly and easily. I suspect the thing will fall apart during the first washing.

Nicki appeared to be less than impressed with it. It didn't pass the kneading test--or he wasn't in the mood to try. Or maybe it's just too garish for him.
I'm back to working on #10, which now is #11.

The (former) neighbour was back yesterday and again today, still doing work in the house. I have no idea what would need finishing up and am surprised the new owners haven't yet taken possession of the unit. Yet thankful for another quiet weekend. It's like waiting for the other shoe to drop though. LOL.

I "won" a pendant in a recent Cat Blogosphere auction; it's on the way to me and I'm looking forward to getting it, if someone at Customs doesn't help themselves. You never know...Occasionally a Canada Post letter-carrier is caught with years of undelivered letters and parcels in his/her home. Probably a similar thing happens with Customs officials from time to time. I've also got some "silvervine" on the way to me (looks like it could be more potent than catnip, from the cat pics I've seen on various blogs). Now that could be confiscated by Canada Customs.

If the silvervine does make it, I'll be curious to see Derry's reaction. (Pic snapped this afternoon.)
I can't believe I'm going to write this, but I'm actually considering saving for an e-reader. A new book in seconds. Easy storage. I'd love a Kindle Fire, but it doesn't ship to Canada. The Kobo Vox has less-than-stellar reviews. I like Amazon.ca and order all my books/CDs/DVDs from them, but a Kindle means I can only buy from Amazon, whereas a Kobo is open-source. I want something that gives me colour, for magazines. Maybe I ought to consider a tablet instead, though they're larger than I would prefer. No rush, I won't be getting one any time soon. But I would be interested to get feedback from anyone out there who has one: Which one and why you chose it, if you'd choose the same again, any customer service problems, etc. (I've read that Kobo's customer service is crappy.)

And that's enough "randomness" for one day. The boys are asleep, lulled by the oscillating heater I have going in the living room (did I mention it's freezing out?) and I have knitting to get back to and plenty of "old-fashioned" books to read.

I hope everyone's having a lovely weekend.

Universal Blessings, Light and Mercy to All Beings.

Comments

Old Kitty said…
Oh noes!! You've gone over to the Dark eSide! Next you'll be tweeting and facebooking (are those even proper adverbs?!?!?)!! LOL!!

Oh but good for you!! The only reason I like other e-readers not Kindle is that most of the others look like pocket books with a front cover you can flip open! Kindle is just a thin screen. That's the only thing I can think to add to what e-reader to get and why! LOL!

Awww your kitty blanket looks gorgeous - not garish at all!! Nicki is just awestruck!!! I hope you get your silvervine (I keep calling it silverine as in X-Men Silverine - for some reason...!!). I hope sweet Derry likes it too!

I'm taking your former neighbour sold her house before she did any maintenance to it and is now feverishly doing it up before the new owners arrive?? LOL! Oh dear! Oh fingers crossed you get nice people next door!

Minus 25 is so so wrong! :-( It's minus 2 here and I find that freezing so I can only imagine what minus 25 is! Yuck! OH but I do like the pics of frozen waterfalls (happening all over Europe and the UK) - wonderful!! Have you seen the winners of the World Press Photo comp?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-16979784

Absolutely stunning shots!!!

Cat show next week!?!? How lovely! Roll on spring!! Take care
x
ANGEL ABBYGRACE said…
2 Xmas ago I thought I wanted a Kindle, but was talked into an iPad. I am so happy that I chose that. It is me e reader and everything else.love it, am using it right now. I love "books" in less than 5 sec! Plus less mess.

We are going into the 20's the next two days freezing for us but probably balmy for others.
Enjoy your at home weekend!
Xoxox
Karin Parker said…
Good morning, chilly Canadian dudes. We hope Nicki and Derry are well out of that windchill. Äiti was talking to a guy from Winipeg about the Canadian winds, and we are very glad we are in relatively windless Finland. Brrrr. -4'C here and snowing today - we might run around the catio a bit later. Over to Äiti for ebook thingy stuff.

I wanted a Kindle fire but they were only available in the US at Christmas time, and the import taxes were a put off to me, so I opted for a 7" tablet PC (an Acer). I have an android phone and love it as I can surf and use so many apps for maps, weather, northern lights updates, and of course checking blogs and fb. I didn't want an iPad or bigger tablet PC as I didn't want it to become 'another computer'. Also I like the smaller, more portable size. There was only one 7" tablet available here, so I opted for that. I love paper and books but am a real hoarder so keep everything, and frankly have little space now for more books. So I decided to get an ebook reader. The Acer is great as I can use amazon books, pdfs and other formats. The screen can be a bit tiring, and I would say this is the only disadvantage for me and frankly it's not that bad. But it is so great to just switch the bedside light off and hold the tablet PC and then not have to use two hands to change the page of a book - usually one hand is under a cat. I am very pleased I did not buy a dedicated ebook reader, but I would be very interested to see the Kindle Fire.
I do find I have to be careful with what I buy as I could easily download everything from amazon and that would be too expensive. I look out for free offers and try to be selective about what I pay for.
HOpe this helps - good luck :)
Smudge said…
Oh, we so don't miss that white stuff down here!! On the kindle- my mom and dad love the heft and feel of a book. Stay warm!!
Katnip Lounge said…
I have a regular kindle and a Fire...and I have to say I like the regular one better. It's lighter and the battery lasts 20x longer. That said, it's nice to have color and be able to watch movies and surf, etc all on one gadget.
You know you can read books on your computer via Amazon Cloud, right?
Also, check out Google Books--the selection is good and sometimes there's nice deals.
Mr Puddy said…
Sound like you may love iPad !!!!
cause you can have kindle, iBook and Kobo, and so on !
and you can view magazine in color !!!

I didn't do blog much because my mom is addicted to free e-books from kindle ! lots of lots of download everyday ( more than 20 books a day ! )
I'm on my second Kindle. I have the 3G with keyboard. I love it, but the K-touch wasn't out when I got mine, so I don't know how it works.

You need to know how you want to use an e-reader to know which one to get. If you want to surf the web, do email, watch movies, you need one in color that's going to weigh more and have a very short battery life. If you just want to read books, like I do, the lighter ones are the way to go. John's Nook weighs three times what my Kindle does. I got carpal tunnel from holding paperbacks open to read. If I can rest the K against a pillow or something even part of the time, I don't have that.

I turn my K off about every three months, just because John said I should. Otherwise, it's on all the time. I charge it about every three weeks or so. I get lots of the free books from Amazon. I was also running out of bookshelves and love saving trees by not using paper.

If I leave the house, my K is in my purse. I always make sure I have half a dozen unread books loaded. I even keep a notebook of printed booklists of my favorite authors so I read their series' in order, and check them off when read.

My only complaint is that the background of the page isn't light enough. They say it's just like reading a book, but it's not. It's a light gray. Make it white. I want more contrast.
Nicki Elson said…
Ohhh, pretty kittye! (And pretty name for her too, hehe)

Old Kitty said you were looking for advice on e-Readers, and I'm totally new to that game, but I got a Nook. I didn't want to go Amazon because I don't like some of the things they've been doing w/ exclusivity - they want authors selling only through them and they want readers stuck buying only from them. And how dare they not ship the Kindle to Canada! *hmphf*
Anonymous said…
Boooooo to winter coming back!! :(
xo Catherine
I'd suggest you come to Australia, but even though it's summer we've had so much rain it feels like winter!

Derry is gorgeous.
Rene said…
I've had a nook (black and white) for a year and love it. You have the option to "side load" books from other sources and borrow library books (in the US, but I would guess Canada would have a similar system). There are pages on Facebook that have many freebies and cheapies/deals too.

Oh, and just because I have a nook, I still buy and read paper books too.