"Whatcha Looking For?"

"Whatcah looking for?" Said by one of two somewhat scruffy middle-aged men to me early this morning, as I stepped off a path at Lemoine Point to let them pass. I had my Fuji camera with me.

"Anything that catches my eye," I replied.

"Like two good lookin' men?" the one asked.

Slight pause. "Hmm..." Another pause. "Anything four-legged or winged that catches my eye," I clarified, meanwhile thinking, asshole.

And off we all all went on our merry way, after he mentioned there were some large woodpeckers in a certain area of the Point. I hope that wasn't a euphemism. 

As an aside, a passenger on the bus this morning (known to the driver, obviously a regular) said that because I was a "pretty woman," I ought to be careful out in the woods and stick to the main paths. Apparently there must be perverts who hang out in that area, though I would think there are too many people jogging, bike-riding and walking their dogs for that. Now, the Rideau Trail between Front Road and Bath Road--yeah, I get that. BTW, the passenger is a school bus driver (there's a job for perverts) and also a photographer--the last time he was in the conservation area he got photos of some barred owls. Lucky man!

So what did catch my eye in Lemoine Point this morning?

Birds, mostly. A lot of geese and chickadees today. Snapped quite a few blue jay pics too, but kept only a few. A mourning dove. One grey squirrel and a red squirrel as well.

What I find remarkable is that I actually went to the conservation area this morning.

I went once last year, when Dad was visiting in June, and if memory serves, that was the only time. I really had no interest in anything last year at all. Looking back from this perspective, I can see how Annie's death touched me in so many ways. The grief has been slow to heal, but it is healing.

And it's really nice to be taking an interest in "normal" (for me) things again. Things I thought I never would take note of again or want to do again.

So all in all, a good Saturday, in spite of silly middle-aged men who think they're funny.

Universal Blessings, Light and Mercy to All Beings.

Comments

JC said…
Love your photos !!!

I can't wait to take Jodie for a long walk. That is when our odd weather improves.

Today, it is snowing .. again. So far we have three inches.

Hope it melts fast.
Karin Parker said…
I know what you mean about it taking a time to get outside again Somehow I can find the light and the sheer power of spring light almost physically painful, but once I've faced that pain it is worth it. I guess I am spending a lot of time photographing darkness and the gentle lights of the aurora, which feels very different and totally alien. And I miss the birds so seeing your pictures was great - especially the blue jays!

Have a good remainder of the weekend.
Katnip Lounge said…
ZOUNDS! I laughed about the woodpeckers remark. It makes me happy to hear you are feeling better, that's great! And thanks for the chickadee(-dee dee dee!)photo, I miss their silly antics out here.
Tracy said…
The photos are lovely...and don't men drive you nuts thinking all we want is their attention? UGH!!
Healing takes a lifetime, I do believe becuase there are so many layers of healing. Good for you that you noticed your progress-
Old Kitty said…
It's amazing the red AND grey squirrels living so close to each other! Wow!! Now why can't they live side by side here? There's a big drive to get rid of not native grey squirrels here in the UK (well they were "introduced" in the late 19th century so I'd say that's pretty native in my books! Ahem) as the tinier, shyer indigenous red squirrels are now endangered apparently because of these grey squirrels (I'd say more cos people keep chopping down their favourite conifer trees but then that's just my humble opinion. Ahem again!). Hmm!

Awww the bluejays, chikadee (love that name!!) and doves are STUNNING!!! Yay for you!

Who are these stupid men blighting your day - idiots! LOL! Ignore adversity is what I say!!

I'm glad you feel you are healing slowly. I'm so glad time exists.

Take care
x
Poppy Q said…
Thanks for the photos, we don't have cute blue birds like those or squirrels.

Enjoy your weekend Kim, we hope you get some sunshine too.

Julie and Poppy Q
xxx
Annie Bear said…
I love the photos. Yuck to the men.

The bluejays are beautiful. You really got a lot of great close-ups with wonderful lighting. It's wonderful that you're feeling better!
Pia K said…
lovely snaps, and more squirrels <3 :)

haha, those stupid men make me think of an episode in a pub many years ago, when i had a drink with a friend after a concert, it was a quiet evening and two VERY scruffy men walked in, ordered drinks and tried to engage us in a conversation. when we turned our backs on them one of the said "hey, i'm guessing a shag is out of the question?" - "well, yes" i replied and then continued talking to my friend. the guys left and we couldn't stop laughing, it still actually is a memorable and bizarre moment. what is it with (too many) men?