Another Monday Rolls Around

Yep, another Monday has rolled around already. I'm debating taking Friday off, as next Monday is a holiday. Maybe. If I'm actually going to do something productive like paint. Otherwise, no.

Saturday morning through Sunday evening was spent in blissful peace and quiet in the house, with the family away. I had the TV tuned to one of the jazz radio stations I now get, and spent my house time puttering in the garden, reading and knitting, plus doing the usual chores and errands. It was heavenly.

I sat outside yesterday in my little back space and marvelled that there are people who actually live in quiet neighbourhoods, in detached homes. Without heavy traffic noise from a major thoroughfare within spitting distance, without all the neighbourhood screaming kids playing right by your fence, without adjoining families creating chaos. That seems like a complete fantasy to me, something utterly unattainable. So I really, really appreciated the calm I did have over the weekend.

Collage of a mixed bouquet one of my co-workers received on Friday. Enlarge to view.
Oh, Toby was on my fence again this morning, walking around the entire perimeter on the outside of the sheeting. Meowing his fool head off, wanting in. The boys were inside at the time, eating breakfast. I chased Toby off, then took some catnip buds and regular catnip to him out front, left him rolling around in kitty drug heaven. He was quiet after that. LOL.

I planted some catnip yesterday too, in my little garden. I'm not sure if what I planted last year is actually coming up. It's in the right spot, but it doesn't look like the catnip I just bought. Are there varieties of catnip, as there are with mint?

I also planted some lettuce, just one bunch to see if will take and survive the boys. And some curly parsley. And I added a couple of perennials that will not survive the boys' attention. Nicki was eating one of them yesterday afternoon. Ah, gardening with cats.  :-)

So May is rolling along and things are holding steady at the moment.

Wishing everyone a wonder-full start to the week!

Universal Blessings, Light and Mercy to All Beings.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Cats in the garden always make life interesting. It's more the neighbourhood cats here since Banjo doesn't get to go outside very often. About twice a year, with his harness and leash on.

I hope your boys stay out of your new plants! :)
xo Catherine
Karin Parker said…
Sounds like a fantastic weekend! Luring a kitty away with high power drugs though........

Apparently there are different varieties of catnip. I hve just planted some nepeta over the last couple of years and the gang liked it but didn't go nuts for it. I have just put that down to the fact that the growing season here is not long enough to let the flowers come. However this year I have been given some catnip that I am assured is really hot stuff - it's still too cold to plant the seeds out though. I'm not a good gardener at all so it's pot luck whether it'll grow anyway :)
Old Kitty said…
Oh wow!! Glad you made the most of a blissfully quiet and calm weekend! And you've planted some lettuce too! Yay!

Awwww hopefully gorgeous Toby will get it into his head to come to the front door in the future after his nipfest! Yay!

Charlie ate my first attempt at planting catnip but luckily it's re-grown!

I never knew too that there were different types of catnip! How wonderful! take care
x
so glad you had a QUIET and relaxing weekend. Maybe you will luck out and the neighbors will go away often.

I just saw what Puna said...I never knew there were different varieties of catnip either.

I grew lettuce on our balcony last year, it was fun, only bad thing is once it grows that's it. You get your lettuce and it is done, it doesn't keep growing but it sure was fun eating it directly from the garden.

Smart move to quiet Toby down with catnip lol
ANGEL ABBYGRACE said…
I understand your sentiment completely. It was something I considered when looking for a home. The one we chose sits back off the main street, and we have no children in our nearby area. (yay -- does that sound terrible to say?) I love the peacefulness and when I sit out on the catio all I hear are chirping birds. I do like living close by to neighbors but not close enough to be able to hear them.

xoxoxo
Janet NZ said…
Awake last night - listening to 'other people's children' yahooing at 2am... wishing for land... lots of land... with a moat... and gunboats... and ALLIGATORS... :-)
MTVA said…
It really is bliss to have a quiet place to live. My next move is to a few acres in the country, away from the shouting kids, traffic noise and auditory assaults (all varieties of LOUD boom boxes, etc).
Just about every afternoon boys playing basketball a few hundred feet away have their rap "music" blasting - even with all the windows shut it still thuds & thumps thru my whole house. Sigh. So glad you had a lovely quiet weekend. I often wonder if the noise bothers our cats and dogs? They don't seem affected, but I still wonder...