OMG, she was just over again!

Geezus, she rang my door bell a short time ago, still upset about my judging her kids and her parenting, wanting resolution. I wouldn't say it started out that well, with her trying to insist I was the one who brought up social services and that her husband heard me mention them (WTF?). I corrected her, said it never even occurred to me, that she was the one who asked me. I don't know if she heard me or not. Whackadoodle all right.

She said I'm the only neighbour they've ever had a problem with, that no one else she talked to across our little street had an issue with their noise, nor do the other adjoining people. Well, as for the ones across the street...they're across the street. Hello? Whether she actually spoke with their other adjoining neighbours is questionable, since they're around so seldom and given that not everything she says is quite on the up-and-up.

She wanted to figure out a way to live peacefully because they can't sell. (No, they're not renters. They bought the place in haste, so she has admitted.) Interestingly, a similar thing apparently happened with her sister-in-law: She overheard the woman say something about either the son or daughter or both and/or their parenting and was upset about that. Actually, she told me she felt "violated," listening to what I said to my mom. My reply to that (thank you, guys) was that this is my house and my phone and I'm free to talk to whomever I wish, about whatever I wish--as she is as well. I said I couldn't see her out on her deck (true) but that if the situation were reversed, I would have gotten up and gone inside (instead of listening). She said she didn't care if I talked about her, she just didn't want to hear it. I didn't say anything to that, what can I say? Because she could have gotten up and gone inside.

We talked for a while...She seems to need a plan of action. (Whereas I like a plan of avoidance.) Was upset that every time they come into the back space I go inside. Which isn't true. I told her that gee, I have pots on the stove, litter boxes to scoop, laundry on the go, and a painting project too (finally, that pine buffet), that I have a difficulty sitting still for any length of time (very true) and that if I was jumping up and going in and out it's because I had things to do. That I keep a different schedule, am up very early and go to bed very early. Duh. What, is everything about her?

Anyway, it went on for a long time, or felt like it, with me insisting I wasn't going to create problems for them, that I'd not ever had a problem with any other neighbour and that I don't like confrontation, etc. I apologized again and again for losing my temper on Sunday and then upsetting her, though she said she knew they were the problem, that she doesn't hear me (though Lucas claimed he could--ha, as if) and that she didn't want an apology.

I said it's a great opportunity for me to learn about autism, that we can learn from everyone we meet. And with respect to that, she said there's an autism "scale" and that unless you have x number of points on the scale, you can't get help. I don't know if that's really the case. In any event, I really don't want to her to be upset, she has enough in her life to be upset about. I just want to get along, as does she. Until they move. Which won't be soon enough.

I told her to use her back space, not to tiptoe around, that I don't want to tiptoe around either.That this isn't life and death.

But boy, she sure does make excuses for her son, ones I've heard before. Whatever. And btw, after the son's melt-down that one Friday night back in early April (or was it March?), she said they were going to move the son's room to other side of the unit. So I assumed they had, but no they haven't.

Man, I've had enough of this drama. Let this be a lesson. Don't lose your cool and throw a temper tantrum of your own when you're 48 years old, and don't be passive aggressive.

I'd really just like her to let it go. I'd like to avoid them as much as possible, be friendly and civil and courteous when I see them...and have some freaking peace and quiet.

Whew.


Comments

Katie Isabella said…
Oh Kim. And in my thought, you said everything that was civil and courteous to her when she came back seeking confromtation. I am so so so sorry.
ANGEL ABBYGRACE said…
Kim
This conversation had red flags all over it. She is trying to make YOU the problem. YOUR the only neighbor that she's ever had a problem with? With a child like that? I don't think so. I imagine having him out in public is a problem all the time. There is something more to all of this. She is afraid you're going to "make trouble" and what get them thrown out of their condo? Like maybe that has happened before? I mean why were they in such a hurry to buy what where they in such a hurry to leave?

Where there's smoke signals there is fire.
I hope she can keep some peace, but since they've only been there a short time I just can't see that a truce with the boy is going to last long.

Time to think long term.

xoxoxo
Karin Parker said…
Keep a journal - times, dates events. Every little thing. This is now sounding like harrassment.
The Cat Guy said…
So sorry to hear all this is unfolding. It sounds just miserable. Home is suppose to be a safe place to rest and rejuvenate from dealing with the world and yet for you right now, the annoying neighbor's crap keeps invading your private sanctuary. I hope you can find ways of finding peace within yourself even if the neighbors carry on.

I also echo the words of those who commented previous. Documenting is always helpful in case the situation gets elevated to another level. And it sounds like someone has a bad case of denial by blaming you. YOU are NOT the problem. The one making the excuses is the problem.

Were you able to find any stipulations in the condo association agreement about noise levels?

I bought some wireless noise cancellation headphones a while back and I'm very impressed with how well they work. No one should have to wear headphones just to be in their own home, but it might be something to help tune out the crazy for a short period of time. Just an idea.
Janet NZ said…
The others are right - document everything!
You have every right to say whatever you want, to whomever you want, in YOUR OWN HOME!
Something strange is happening here... and it is NOT you!
Do your own thing, in your own space. Play your music if you want, quietly, respectfully (of course you would)... weed your garden, spend time with your boys there too. If she is next door, being upset,... well... sad... but, not your responsibility...
Turn your music a little louder if their noise gets too bad - for you... not for them.
Headphones are a great idea... you shouldn't HAVE to wear them, but if it works???...
Breathe deep Kim.
OPC's here are on the roof... drunk... shouting at the world... I hope they don't fall off... (hah)
Old Kitty said…
Oh Kim. This family is so not worth this hassle. I am so so sorry they are next door to you! I only hope that they disappear soon - find another place. You only reacted the way you did because they were stressing you out to beyond your patience threshold. They weren't being good neighbours. They could have told you first - instead of introducing the shocking (and autism is pretty out there to the uninitiated) way her kids are. They (mum AND dad) could have met you half way and prepared you. You were willing to be a good neighbour to them but they were coming from the outside in and something as drastic as their kids' behaviours should have been explained - not excused - just enough to inform you what to expect.

I'm so sorry. At least you had your say and at least now they know how you feel. I hope they calm down now. Fingers crossed they find somewhere else asap!

Take care and good luck!
x
Pia K said…
i haven't been reading any blogs at all for ages, so i'm doing a bit of catch up. i remember your new and annoying neighbours, this sounds quite bad indeed on many levels ( i will now go and read through your older posts to grasp it all) but it sounds like you're behaving like a lady, like any decent neighbour would. and that's that:)