Excuse me, I look *how* old?!

So I found out today why the McDonald's in WalMart charges me 93 cents for a small cup of coffee, whereas the downtown McDonald's I sometimes stop in before work charges me $1.25 for the same.

They're giving me the senior's discount.

Seriously.

This morning...

Me, to the clerk behind the counter: "How come I pay only $0.93 here and I pay $1.25 downtown?"

The young girl replies that she doesn't want to say, because she doesn't want to insult me. Then she tells me anyway, that she's giving me the senior's discount. She says I look like I'm in my 40s, and trails off....

I admit to her that I'm in my late 40s. "What age qualifies for a senior's discount?" I ask, stunned that I qualify (sort of) for a senior's discount of any kind. Just how old do I look, anyway?!

"Fifty," she says.

Well, that means I must look like I'm in my fifties then, if she's giving me the freaking discount.

By the way, this is the third time in recent weeks that I've ordered a cup of coffee from the WalMart McDonald's and been charged only $0.93 Actually, last week I had a small coffee and a fairly decent muffin for $1.46. ("Is that all?" I remember asking. I thought it was a special. No, no, it's just the senior's discount!)

OMG, I need Botox or collagen injections!!!

And I'm only slightly mollified by the fact that the staff at the downtown location apparently don't think I'm in my dotage quite yet.

Geez...!

Comments

vic said…
I don't think it's you----it's those really young clerks. Anybody over the age of 35 or so looks old to them and the are afraid (with some justification---I'm sure some people get upset with them no matter which way they guess) to ask whether you want the discount or not and so just give it to you anyway.

I'd just look at it as a nice, little, undeserved perk (little pun there) and take the discount!

Janet NZ said…
What Vic said... :-)
I started dying my hair again after letting it go natural (about 50% grey for awhile). It's amazing how different people treat me now. I won't hazard a guess about how old they thought I was before?
Old Kitty said…
Now why can't they do the same for wine and chocolate?!!? Us senior people need such basics!

Ahem.

Actually you get a free bus pass when you reach 50 here! LOL!

:-)

Take care
x
Katnip Lounge said…
So, I'll get a discount in 3 months?

SWEET!
Katie Isabella said…
I remember when I got my first one. I was highly perturbed. It took awhile to "get over it". It's disconcerting and somewhat embarrassing but..you get sued to it.
wildcatwoods said…
Kids cannot tell how old anyone is so don't get too upset. One of my work colleagues thought I was in my 4os - loved it but it is so not true!
Be careful....I'm 57!!!!!!!!! lol!!

But...I have never been offered the Senior Discount :)
Fuzzy Tales said…
No, not too upset, mostly stunned! BTW, my hair is high-lighted, so the grey is mostly covered. LOL. Can't cover the crow's feet, though, and sagging chin. :-p

Anyway, I think most places here give senior discounts at 60 or 65, to be given one at 48.5 was *not* expected!

Barbara said…
I have a friend who, though not quite a senior at the time, would go into a store on Senior Day, ask if it WAS that day, and got the discount. If course, she never SAID she was a senior!
Yeah, it's not you. It's the 16 year old work force. Is it just coffee people get discounts on? I don't drink coffee and nobody ever asks or gives me a discount - and I'm 62. I did get 10% off movie tickets a year ago. I remember when my grandma turned 60. I wondered how much longer she'd be with us on this earth (28 years). We should all look half as good as Trish's mom. That woman is incredible.
Bella said…
Enjoy the discount!!!!!! Age is just a number. There are days I feel 70 and there are days I feel 30 so at 65 I just go with the flow!!
The first few times it happened to me (being nowhere near the senior discount age) I was very insulted and upset, but then I realized it was hitting my pocketbook in a good way, so after that, I always asked for the senior discount.
ANGEL ABBYGRACE said…
It definitely is the person who cant even fathom being 30 who's perspective is off. I haven't had anyone offer me that discount yet...YET! But I'm waiting.

xoxoxo
Poppy Q said…
Oh my gosh - I'd take the cheaper prices.

I told a patient the other day that it must have been a tough year for him, getting sick and turning 40. He told me that I had a few years to enjoy before I got there being 27 or so (I'm 44 this week). I did almost tell him he should get his eyes checked as well.

Have a good week.

Julie Q

Annie Bear said…
I totally agree with vic and Abby about these young whipper-snappers being clueless about age. Seriously. Plus, I've seen pictures of you and I think you look great. I'm just turned 47 so I'm sure it's going to happen to me and soon. Several years ago, we had to have an ambulance pick up my husband to take him to the hospital because his back went out. One of the drivers asked me if I was his mother! I'd much rather have the senior discount.