"Don't Sweat the Small Stuff"

Remember that book title?

And the ending to it -- "and it's all small stuff." At least that's how I think it went.

There was a woman on the bus going home yesterday, whom I'd not seen in quite some months. She lives in the townhouse complex below mine, is retired, has grown kids.

I asked if she was getting ready for the holidays (she had a shopping bag in hand) and she said she wasn't sure what she'd be doing this year, because her husband died suddenly in the spring. She took him to the hospital on April 30th and five hours later he was dead, utterly unexpectedly. They had just bought a trailer (to camp, for the summer) and he was looking forward to enjoying their retirement together.

You know, she calls me by name, but I can't for the life of me think what her name is, if I ever knew it at all.

She said she had been at the hospital, getting the paperwork in order to volunteer, because she didn't want to sit home all winter long.

We chatted for a while, because though I've not lost a spouse to death, I've had my own losses, including the split with the ex, and my own emotional struggles. Her daughter is telling her to bake and do all the things she normally would and I told her to do what feels right, each day, and not to put pressure on herself to do a darned thing, if she doesn't feel up to it.

Work issues (assuming one has a decent job, of course) is small stuff.

And Judi from SASS, one of the long-time and beloved cat bloggers, finally died late yesterday afternoon. She had been in hospice care for many, many months with pancreatic cancer--something I wouldn't even wish on anyone I loathed, let alone anyone who seemed to be as caring as she was. And though it's a mercy she's free of her suffering, my heart is heavy for her family and friends.

So unless it's life and death, it's all small stuff, isn't it.

******
Also "small stuff", check out this little 6-week old girl, a Great Pyrenees x Lab. She's the new fur companion of my oldest/dearest friend, and the pics were taken on the 27th (her first night home) and sent to me yesterday morning.

Meet Kailey
 My favourite of the three pics!
Peace.

Comments

Old Kitty said…
Oh my gosh - I've just finished my writing (that's IT- NO MORE!!) and sent it off and got my "you did it!" badge so was all excited and then checked my email and had such a shock when I clicked on Ann's email. I was like, what!??!?!? So am feeling all over the place. :-(

Oh your poor neighbour! You gave her wise advise though. It's always good to take things one at a time and not to be pressured into anything, not while one is emotionally fragile!

Awwww Kailey!! What a beauty!! She looks so content and happy - a good place to be!!

Take care
x
Random Felines said…
we hope your advice helped that woman - sometimes just having someone tell you that is it ok just "to be" is a good thing. we know how you feel about Judi - it is terrible that she is gone, but I can't imagine that kind of suffering.

And OMC is the puppy cute!
vic said…
Well, yes Death with a capital D does put things in perspective, doesn't it. Just yesterday I attended the funeral of the wife of one of my husband's colleages. An inoperable brain tumor----fortunately (if one can say that in cases like this) it was fast moving and not long and drawn out but still difficult for the family .
squeeeeee about the puppy!!! What a snow baby!!! Sooo adorable!

I am so sorry about Judi. I really didn't know her but I share in wishing to convey my deepest sympathy
Kailey is adorable. I have a soft spot for Great Pyrenees mixes. I wonder if she is going to have the Great Pyrenees tail, Fenris does.

I keep telling myself Judi is in a better place, but I know this has been very hard on her family. My uncle died from cancer and it takes a toll on the whole family. ~Alasandra

Saku said…
Even though I didn't find Judi's blog until after she was quite ill, my heart goes to her family. It's an awful.

You are so correct, when someone leaves this world, it reminds me that the little worries I have are mere blips in comparison.

The puppy is absolutely adorable. I was given a Great Pyrenes dog many years ago...he wasn't a pup but full grown, but was an absolute love. He used to love to jump up and put his paws on my shoulders and kiss my face. I think they are the prettiest dogs and way smarter than some other breeds!
You got that right - don't sweat the small stuff. Just got an email from a good friend. Her sister was diagnosed a few days ago with ovarian cancer. She's now in a coma and has about 12 hours left. Geez, you really don't ever know! Enjoy every minute of every single day.
Janet NZ said…
It's such a hard lesson to learn... that it's all small stuff... and too often... it's the people who 'shouldn't' who are the ones from whom you learn this lesson. Little babies... puppies, kittens, whatever make everything better XXXOOO
(thanks for your support Kim - SO much appreciated)
Cory said…
Thanks for the reminder about what's important and what's small stuff.

What an adorable puppy!
Rian said…
Kim, I'm sorry for your friend who's facing her first Christmas without her husband. I can't imagine... (oh,I can I guess, but don't want to). Maybe you can give her a little bit of your time (invite her over for tea?)this holiday season.

As for the puppy, he/she is absolutely adorable! Yellow labs have always been a favorite, but this puppy breed is precious. (I'd love a puppy. However, DH and cats wouldn't.)
ANGEL ABBYGRACE said…
One thing it shows you that you can never judge the outer exterior of someone to understand what heartaches may lie right below the surface.

Death is a way I feel we all face our immortality and those we care for.

A neighbor who foolishly avoided going to the DR was told she had stage 4 breast cancer. SHE knew she had a problem. She lived a few weeks.

It's hard at any time of the year, but with the advent of such a "happy" time, it's doubly hard for those suffering a loss of a friend or family member.

xoxoxo
Annie Bear said…
That is so sad for that poor woman. It's inevitable that Christmas and the holidays are such difficult times, especially for someone having such a profound and recent loss. I feel so blessed that Lucy is still with me and my parents are healthy. There really is so much to be thankful for. I'm so sad about Judi too and for her family.

On a much happier note, Kailey is adorable. What a little joy. :)