Cripes, I need a cigarette now

No, not because of the neighbours. LOL.

Because I had a leak under the kitchen sink this morning--whereupon my heart sank. However, it turned out to be an easy fix, even for me. Though it did take two trips up to Rona, because the first length of hose I got was a bit too long. And no, I hadn't thought to measure, even though I did think to snap pics with the Elph to show to the guy in the plumbing section.

The old and very short bit of hose, below. I had snapped this before heading up the second time. The guy who helped me in both instances said that the pin hole leak (which he'd never seen happen before) might have been caused by stress on the hose/pipe, from being too short. That those hoses are supposed to be longer to loop, to alleviate said stress.
The only "hard" part of replacing the hose was loosening the top nut thingie--and figuring out which way to turn them both to remove them. LOL.

The old hose is gone.
And the new is on, below, and pretty tight. I left a towel on the bottom of the cupboard, though, in case I didn't tighten the nuts enough. But all is well, at least for the moment, knock on wood.
Honestly, I was working myself up into a panic (hence the need for a cigarette, even though I've never smoked), imagining having to call a plumber for something simple. I'm glad I didn't have to, and hope that remains the case, no further problems.

No alcohol in the house, for stress-relief, but I do have chocolate now.  :-)

Have a leak-free Sunday, folks.

Another desktop wallpaper image, from Googling.

Comments

Annie Bear said…
Thank goodness you didn't have to call a plumber! Thank goodness for the chocolate too. You're amazing that you did this!

p.s. Great score at PetSmart. I need to go next weekend.
Damn am I ever impressed! I could NEVER have fixed that! I have a dear girlfriend who is like you, she comes to fix sinks and all because my husband and I are beyond ignorant in trying to figure those things out!
You are one independent lady!
Old Kitty said…
Kim! I am in super awe!! Glad you got the leak sorted AND had some chocolate spare at home!! Never ever not have chocolate with you wherever!
:-)
Take care
x
vic said…
WOW! You've got more self confidence than I do----I'd never attempt anything to do with plumbing no matter how simple it looked to be.

How nice to avoid the plumber----they make out like bandits! Not only do you get a huge bill but then go around feeling totally stupid because it was such an easy fix!
E. Smith said…
Great! An easy fix!
Oh noes...I had a leak from a rusted out disposal and had to call an ex-manfriend to fix it...of course, he wanted payback, which he didn't get, hahameow!
Saku said…
Great job! I'm the "call the plumber" kind of person because I'm always afraid I'll just make things worse.

No wine here either, but the SIL brought over chocolate last night.

Have a great week! (I know you're looking for to the Christmas lunch on Tuesday, lol!)
Anonymous said…
Hooray to it only being something little! One less headache!
xo Catherine
JC said…
No drinks in the house, what are you thinking. That's what they are for .. is the before for strength and the after for, I did it.

Glad it was a sort of easy fix.

Love your Holiday pics at the end.

XO,
JC
Janet NZ said…
Clever girl! It's very satisfying to 'do it yourself' isn't it? XO