Good news for Toby...I hope.

I had emailed the president of the boys' shelter last night, asking about barn homes, naively thinking they'd have a list of people who take cats for barns. They do not and all the spaces at various barns are filled, he replied.

So I've been very discouraged all morning.

On a whim I called the clinic that neutered him in the first place, to ask if they happened to know of anyone who would take poor Toby for a barn. I chatted with the tech who is the daughter of the clinic owner, and she said she'd take him. They have a 20-horse barn and all their outdoor cats are rescues, as are all their indoor cats.

I chatted with her for a bit, told her about Toby and why I was trying to find a home for him (btw Nicki was fighting with him through the fence last night, I was stressed, Derry was stressed....), etc. I told her I could send her a few pics of Tobes, but she said she didn't care, it didn't matter what he looked like.

So.

Getting a hold of a carrier big enough for him, and somehow luring him in is next. The vet tech is at the clinic 5.5 days a week, all I have to do is call when I get him to alert them, and then bring him in.

Please, please send good vibes that this can be accomplished in short order, with a minimum of stress to Toby (and to me) and with no blood drawn, or other injuries either.

It's not my ideal solution, but at least he'd have excellent vet care (obviously) and would have food and shelter and feline company, as well as human company too, if he learns to trust another person.

I'll keep you all posted.

Comments

Janet NZ said…
We will miss him, but how lovely that he will have a home !
I'm sending all the good vibes I can summon. I'm totally sure he will behave like a complete sweetheart. XO
Kea said…
I appreciate the good vibes, Janet. I have mixed emotions, truth be told: relief, excitement, happiness, worry, guilt, sadness....But I can't see a better solution, because I can't bring him in and if/when I'm ever able to move, it's not likely I could take him with me, either.
Riffa said…
Wonderful news for Toby! I've been thinking about him. I hope you will get him in a cage and that he will enjoy his new home.

Maybe you can visit him sometimes in his new home? Sending a kiss to Toby from North Europe!
Rian said…
That's wonderful news! Does Toby let you handle him? I guess he must if you got him to the clinic to be neutered...
The Cat Guy said…
Yahoo for Toby!! I hope the getting him in the carrier goes smoothly. Can always try putting bits of chicken or something in the back of the carrier, waiting for him to go in and then just secure the door.

I can understand the mixed feelings. I'm right there with you.
MTVA said…
Hoping so much that it works out for Toby, and that you might be able to visit once in a while. The young lady sounds like the kind of person who will update you on Toby, knowing how much you care for him. All paws are crossed here, and hoping for the best for Toby!
we have our paws, fingers and toes crossed that Toby lets you put him in the carrier without any trouble and that he will LOVE his new home.
Random Felines said…
we got our paws crossed. please let them know if they have never relocated cats to keep him "confined" for a couple of weeks so he knows he lives there now and that is where he is getting fed and cared for (if they need it, email me and I can send you info). I know the mixed feeling, but knowing he is being cared for should make it a little easier
Anonymous said…
I am praying for Toby!!! And Scout is purring for him!!
That would be wonderful! We would miss hearing about him of course. And we know you would too. Paws crossed!
FIngers and paws crossed!!
ANGEL ABBYGRACE said…
Oh we hope hope hope that this is Toby's dream come true.

xoxox
I am (hopefully) happy for Toby too but am I the only one bothered by her saying "it doesn't matter what he looks like?" Maybe I am being overly sensitive but to me it wasn't personal enough, like she wouldn't take the time to get to know him :(
wildcatwoods said…
The only thing I worry is that do they know how to gradually acclimate him to the barn? If they just let him go once there he will run away. A group in NC relocates cats and they leave a large kennel with food and litter box in the barn and then let them get used to the new smells etc. After days or even weeks they let them out in the barn only and eventually they can go outside. I know from experience - Toby will not stay there unless they do this gradually. I would hate to see him run away and not be near anything he knows. Just make sure this girl knows how to do this. Hope it works out. BTW I use a small dog kennel to catch my hefty boy Snowball - he won't fit in most carriers. Email if you want more info!
I, too, hope they follow the Alley Cat Allies protocol for rehoming an outdoor or feral cat. I recently helped a friend move about 5 miles from her old home to her new one and we trapped the feral she had been caring for and kept her in a 4'w x 4'l x 2' h cage for 4 weeks and when she let her out, she disappeared for 24 hrs but has been sticking close for the past month...so a very succesful move!
Mr Puddy said…
I send my best purring to Toby and paw crossed as well.
About the way the lady said " it didn't matter what he looked like." May be she didn't mean in the bad way, May be it means she will take any cat who need help.