Oh, I have the perfect *tactful* way to address integration

I'm going to borrow my co-worker's dog crate next week, since there will be lots of room and I might be able to entice Toby into it with nip and silver vine more easily.

And the perfect, tactful way of addressing integration just popped into my head: When (please let it be "when" and not "if") I get Toby to the clinic, I'll ask her if she'd like to borrow the crate for a couple of weeks to keep Toby confined, to give him time to adjust to his new home. My co-worker is fine with that, as she doesn't use the crate anyway.

I think that's a much better solution than calling this woman up and asking if she knows how to integrate a feral cat, something that easily could put her on the defensive and make her wish she hadn't offered to take Toby in the first place.

Sometimes--just sometimes--I have a "brilliant" idea.

No more posts today, I promise. And no more posts about Toby until it's a done deal, however long that takes.

Comments

John Bellen said…
That sounds like an excellent idea. It's always a good plan to couch advice as a suggestion that is already half-accepted. Then it can be continued (if the advice is taken) or declined politely (if not taken).

I had just caught up with Toby's situation this morning. You are a kind person to be doing this. Toby will have the opportunity to be sheltered and fed but also as free as he wants, interacting with people only when he wishes.

And write about Toby as much as you like. Strangely, those of us with cat-blogs can't hear or read about cats enough.
Kea said…
For all I know, they might already have a set up whereby they keep incoming cats contained. I'll find out.

There is an expression, though: Beggars can't be choosers. It's more than I hoped, that he'd go to a place where he'd have terrific vet care, looked after by knowledgeable people.

If I can get him. LOL.
E. Smith said…
How exciting for dear Toby! While all the advice in the world may be well meaning, it is still you that is dealing with the situation and the solution seems to be a good one with people who are willing to take him as he is. I hope it all works out! I'll miss the updates though! :(
post about him as much as you like! I love hearing about him!
JC said…
I guess my question is where do they live. Is far from you ? He has picked you after all.

He might just leave the barn or get picked on since the other cats don't know him.

I wish there were a way that someone could give him an indoor home or at least a lot of love.

I had a feral cat. She gave me a lot of love. Was actually very sweet after she got to know me.

Hope things work out for him. Keep us posted ...

xo,
JC
Anonymous said…
Sounds like you are getting things all figured out. Now for sweet Toby to hurry up and cooperate! Good luck!
xo Catherine
Old Kitty said…
Kim!!!! I have everything crossed that you get Toby in his crate and off to his new home asap!!!!

GOOD LUCK!! And Toby - you have one amazing guardian angel there looking out for you! Take care
x
Random Felines said…
that is a great idea!!! we know you are doing the best for him that you can - don't let anyone tell you otherwise.....