'Bye, Toby. Be Safe and Be Happy.
It's done, Toby's at the vet clinic now, will stay for a day or two to have tests run and be vaccinated.
Backing up a bit...
On Friday afternoon my co-worker left her dog cage on my front step, but it was so large and so unwieldy that I knew at a glance it just wouldn't suit. She had left a scribbled note for me saying in fit in her car with a millimeter or two to spare. But there's no way any taxi driver would have even made the attempt.
So on Saturday, while at PetSmart, I found a carrier for 15 - 25 pound dogs (above) on sale, and bought it. Hadn't wanted to spend money for a one-time use, but the size was right and the price was really good.
On Sunday I put it together in my garage, with Toby there to lend a paw. I spent a few minutes with a bag of Temptations, putting a few inside. He got his head and front paws in, and I left it at that.
Sunday evening I lit a votive candle for him and prayed, in my way, to the Source, the Universe, the gods/goddesses, whatever there is that is nameless and unknowable. Asked that if it had a better solution for Toby, now was the time to act.
Today I got up and dithered, went to work at my usual 6AM time. Fussed at the office all day, not able to focus. Lit a candle for Toby on Gratefulness.org, asking for guidance for his Highest Good.
This afternoon I got home to find Toby curled up in his "house" on my step. He hasn't been around at that time of day for quite some time; usually he would come later, after dusk.
So. I seized the opportunity. Gave him some Fancy Feast with a capsule of Zylkene in it, of which he ate about two-thirds. Opened up the garage, where the carrier was, put the blanket I kept on top of his "house" into it, put in some catnip buds and Temptation treats. He wasn't inclined to actually go inside, wanted my attention, but when he stuck his head in the carrier I just pushed him the rest of the way in, no problem. Easy peasy.
Off we went in a taxi, with him singing the most god-awful "warrior song." But once he was inside and turned around to face out, instead of having his view blocked, he settled down, as you can see from the snapshot. He didn't even fuss when a chocolate lab pup came up to sniff him. I'm not sure whether Toby was just in shock/trauma or if it was the Zylkene or just his usually laid back nature. Maybe a bit of all three.
I left the carrier with Meghan, and of course Toby's house too. She was glad for the house. They keep new cats in an empty stall when they first get to the farm, but didn't have anything else set up. I'll retrieve the carrier in a few days, once she doesn't need it, as they don't have one large enough at the clinic to transport Toby.
So, if Toby is healthy he'll go to his new home in a couple of days. If not...Well, if not, then I suppose they would euthanize him. I don't want to think about that. Though if he's not reasonably healthy, that probably would be kinder than letting him slowly decline and suffer.
I'm going to call in a few days, to check on him, and probably will call once or twice after that. I told her I wanted to, but was afraid she'd tell me he was flattened on the road, trying to get back to his home territory. She said there weren't any worries about that, because they're a half-mile off any road, but of course there are coyotes around. (There are here, too, across a busy boulevard.)
I figure I was damned if I do and damned if I don't, but it's a done deal now. I hope and pray he'll be safe, be healthy and be content. Meghan stuck her finger in and rubbed his nose a couple of times and he didn't fuss one single bit...He's such a good boy.
No tears, though I feel wrung out.
I hope it's the start of a wonderful new life for him.
Bless you all for caring and for sending good vibes. Please keep him in your thoughts, for his health and well-being going forward.
Comments
You'll get lots of gold stars for all the attention and care you have lavished on him.
However, if I hear from Meghan that he settles in well and seems content, I'll be easier in my mind, at peace with this path I've forced upon him.
We all hope he will be happy and content in his new home. His laid back attitude will be a benefit I'm sure.
Eileen (Sasha, Sami, & Saku)
Julie and Poppy Q
xxx
No one can be certain of a cat's future. The most coddled pet may escape from a house and be run over. The wildest cat in the world may live to old age and die in his sleep. We can do only our best and hope that's enough. You've done tour best for Toby; that's enough.
Big Purrs,
Cory and family
I wonder, if Toby is that friendly with Meghan, maybe he could be adopted into a home and resume his regular indoor life before some jerk dumped him on the street. That would be awesome!
I know you explained everything to him and made him know you were doing this in his best interest.
Can't lie, we will miss hearing about Toby, but we too want what is best for him.
Am glad it all went so well, and that Toby safely adapts to his new forever home.
Xoxox
It was kind of you to care at all...I am also reading this with tears in my eyes and am praying for a good outcome for precious Toby.
I think he took a particular liking to you......with good reason
xoxoxo
If you do not have need of the big carrier maybe you could donate it to the vet so they can loan it out if need be. I needed to borrow one from Scout's vet when he freaked out last year and all I had was his leash.