The BS around here is incredible
[Work rant, feel free to skip/ignore.]
Hell of a work week so far. My boss has been off, of course, because of the death of his mother.
Monday AM our senior analyst came in and told us that he found out last week that our boss's boss has decided that because he does a fair bit of work for their unit (technically we're three units combined into one now), he's being physically moved as of May 1st, to an empty office downstairs with them. So they don't have to walk up one flight of stairs or call him or send him an email, presumably. Never mind the huge amount of work he still does for our unit and the number of times a day we're in and out of his office. He found out last Tuesday afternoon. Surprise! And surprise, 20% of his job will be given over to another department entirely, to do data reporting for them. And another surprise, this other department hadn't even been told yet, or told that they'd be paying for 20% of his salary!
This is all at the apparent whim of our director's boss, who shall remain gender-less and name-less, of course.
In fact, from the doo-doo that's been dropping all week, the reality is our boss really has no say or power whatsoever and that we all work for this other person, period.
Ah, there's nothing like going from a laid-back, flexible supervisor to someone who's the complete opposite, who wields so much power around our university that s/he can snap her/his fingers and get whatever s/he wants, no matter the consequences or long term effects, and with no respect or regard for the human beings doing the work. The human beings who have been together as a unit for over 12 years.
And I'd like to point out that we're all supposed to move into one big effin' happy space together this year anyway, so there's nothing like moving our staff piecemeal, on a temporary basis.
Two people upstairs (not our unit) are moving down to this floor, one will get our analyst's office and that will mean that very likely another of our staff will have to vacate an office too, unless they want to find room for all the confidential files (cabinets and bookcases) we have stored in the lone empty office down here.
I can't believe this shit.
You know what the two current buzz words from the high level people are? "Accountability" and "transparency".
Neither exist in practice.
I'm wildly pissed off, of course, but I also know there's nothing to be done: either stay and shut up or leave.
But I'll tell you this: My boss has known that you get more work and definitely more loyalty from your staff when you treat them as equals and when you give them freedom and flexibility. The fact that we've all stayed together for over a dozen years speaks volumes, especially in this day and age of position and company-hopping.
My boss's boss seems to have no grasp of this whatsoever, and I can promise you that s/he won't garner the same loyalty at all.
Comments
Mom says FACULTY are way better than administrators anyway! Universities are supposed to be made to educate students, and administration gets a life of its own that is independent of the purpose of the university. With crazy personalities to go along! (though some faculty are crazy too).
You can tell Mom is on the faculty side of things.
The words our management is using is communication and leadership....both of which are sadly lacking. The cone of silence and lack of decisions is painful and frustrating. Like you, it's either suck it up or leave, though I'm down to six years, four months, and 10 days until retirement!
Hang in there and take care!
we hear you. My work is frustrating me lately. Too many managers interfering.
You asked about critters getting in through the catdoor. We don't have any critters in NZ, no racoons or snakes or anything nasty. Just cats and dogs.
The neighbourhood cats were figuring out that the biscuits were in the kitchen and coming into the house while Pops was asleep.
Now they are in the bedroom, and although they haven't found them, Miss Pops thinks she can meow at me at any time of the morning to get fed.
I think I am going to have to break this habit.
Julie and Poppy Q
xxx
I'm lucky I no longer have to deal with such crap as I am happily employed by my kids. :)
Hope your Friday is better!
xo Catherine
Remember the old kid's game I think it was called Gossip. With a group of people someone starts a message of a couple of sentences, it was whispered from person to person and then the last person gave out the message and so many times it was totally different from the original.