Holy Coyote, Batman!

I'm in the middle of endless Excel files, with two looming work project deadlines, but I have to share this, because, well, holy coyote!

I stopped at Tim Horton's on the way to work this AM, to try their chai latté. Someone at work had told me, a couple of weeks ago, that Timmies has them. Ugh. Don't bother. It's a tea bag with frothed milk and however much sugar you want, not the lovely spiced chai liquid that makes wonderful lattés. Typical of Timmies, they can't do a decent hot drink.

Anyway.

I was walking to the office afterward, my usual route from that point, and as I was crossing into the parking lot behind the School of Computing I saw an animal skirting close to the building, zig-zagging a bit. And yep, it was a coyote! 

I came to a full stop, freaked out, wondering where it was going. I was quite some distance away, but there was a young woman walking in its direction and when she saw it she came to a sudden halt, turned around and started walking back the way she came. It detoured around her and she turned again, came toward me, the way she initially had been heading. I went right up to her, asked her if that was really a coyote, because I just couldn't believe my eyes. She said yes, and that she just hadn't known what to do!

Now, once in a while I'll hear coyotes early in the morning; there are lots of them in the city. But I've never, ever seen one in the downtown area. I fear for its safety, because if it stays out in the open today, it will be reported and police will track it down and kill it. Our city is known for killing animals that stray too close to human environs, though I can't fathom why they can't tranquilize the creatures and relocate them. Too much effort, perhaps. The killing is done under the pretense of protecting the public, of course, but other regions and cities of this country will tranquilize and release. So I said a little prayer to the Trickster Coyote God, to keep its "child" safe. Beats me where it was headed, but I'll be more alert walking to the office now now.

So just coming into work was more adventurous than my entire weekend!

Crappy iris snapshots from last week.  :-)
 
 
Back to the spreadsheets. My eyes already have glazed over....

Purrs from the boys and peace from me.

Comments

We don't have coyotes here but I read about them attacking pets and even humans. I'm so glad it just went on it's way and didn't bother anyone. Hopefully it'll stay away from public areas for it's own safety.
Rian said…
Usually the poor coyote is more afraid than you are. We have them here in our neighborhood once in a while. They generally aren't a threat to people (unless cornered or sick), but they are usually hungry and will go after small animals. It is one of the reasons we put up the 6ft wood fence around our yard to protect the ferals.
Old Kitty said…
Awwww noes!! Poor cayotes who stray too close. Oh dear. Awww now why can't all wild animals be tranquilised first and then relocated? I do remember watching this nature documentary (there's a bearded Canadian guy who does a lot of nature documentaries for the BBC and his passion is saving the bears before wild life police people get trigger happy and shoot them dead when they stray too close to someone's holiday home) and oh my gosh how I cried!! And here I am thinking oh wow!! You saw a cayote! How AMAZING!! I want to see one, albeit from far far away and behind the safety of thick concrete of course! LOL!!

Maybe not quite the same - but I did see a stray FOX (oh ok, they're sort of related to cayotes, right!??! LOL!) wandering around willy nilly along the grounds of the universities (I work in an area where the whole place is back to back universities with really nice little secluded parks in between) but NO-ONE batted an eyelid - just me with jaw wide and pointing! LOL!

Spreadsheets!?!? EW!. I am so sorry!! :-(

Chai latte? I like the one I buy from the supermarket - one I just add water too. I can't remember the brand but it's nice. I've never bought one made from a takeaway cafe. I'm guessing it'll be like my shop bought cappuccino of late - a great big disappointment for a lot of money! Yes I am talking to you Costa! LOL!

I hope your cayote's found its way out of your area and into the wilderness safely! Take care
x
ANGEL ABBYGRACE said…
We have all kinds of wild life around us. Still it is awesome to see them come out for a brief visit.
we have them here in Michigan and they scare the daylights out of me and I hate them. They killed a friend of mine's cat :(
John Bellen said…
We have coyotes in southern Alberta, of course, and on quiet nights they can be heard. They rarely come into town, or, rather, are rarely seen in town. I'd read recently that coyotes are one species that is increasing in range and population, probably because they've learned how to scavenge. I do fear for cats and small dogs when coyotes are roaming, but the latter are harmless to humans, as long as one doesn't poke them with sticks...