But...It's not even a full moon!
Yep, I did it again, but at least this time it was by phone, and to a questionable company.
Back story: I've owned this townhouse for 13 years. It was empty for a year or more before my ex and I bought the place, and it was a rental before that. (All the units in the complex were rentals.) The person who rented this unit, 14+ years ago, obviously didn't pay any bills, because for all these years I've been sending back first bills, and then collection notices, with "unknown, no such person here for X years" scrawled across the envelopes.
More recently (the past year or so), I've been getting constant, almost daily, calls for this person from a U.S.-based collections agency. It's gotten to the point that I now keep my answering machine turned off, because I can't stand it. Of course they call because my phone number is associated with his last known address. Never mind that I've had this phone number for 17 years, ever since moving to this city, and never mind that I haven't a clue who this person is.
So last night I saw that there was a call from a "Probeit Inc." around 7:30PM. I had been up in the shower at the time, never even heard the phone ring. I wouldn't have answered anyway, frankly. But all I could think was that it was an investigation company, trying to find out the whereabouts of this person.
When I got home from errands this afternoon, I saw that the same company had called again. So I dialed the number, got an English/French voice mail message, and then proceeded to vent/rant/froth at the mouth for almost 3 minutes, how I was tired of this shit (my actual word), that for 13 years I've been sending back his mail, that I'm sick of the collections calls, that they should do their research because it's a matter of public record as to who owns this unit, that I'd be quite happy to swear in a court of law that I have no idea who this person is. And on and on. I could hear my voice shaking, but couldn't stop myself. (It was a bit too much like the whacko neighbour mother, actually.)
After I hung up, I Googled the number. Now, last night I had deleted the caller ID and so didn't have the number, but I really ought to have Googled it before calling and doing my very best crazy, hormonal, middle-aged lady impression.
Because when you Google the actual number, you get a forum for comments. And you discover that it's not a private investigation company at all, but a (possible) scam or spam company that supposedly makes calls on behalf of a Canadian research firm. (I doubt that.) In fact, Probeit Inc. has been making annoying calls to many people across the country. Noting at all to do with Mr. S. M. W., former resident at this address.
So I managed to stick my foot in it again. But at least this time it might have the desired results, as I'll be very surprised if they call my number again.
No, I won't be answering the phone if they do!
BTW, if I'm running off at the mouth like this at 49, what am I going to be like at 79, if I'm blessed to live that long? It's a bit scary to contemplate!
Wild roses snapped today, while on errands.
Purrs from the boys and peace from me.
Comments
You don't need them to keep ringing you! What an unwelcome intrusion!
Take care
x
lately I have been getting calls from this lady who insists I have been calling her (I haven't). Not sure what is going on there lol
I sure hope they quit calling you, so screening all your calls is your only option. Hey, if you have call blocking on your phone, you can program it to not accept calls from that number - if they call from the same number.
Wishing you an annoying call free week. :)
xo Catherine