I knew it! Called for jury selection!

Well, hell's bells, I knew this would happen. 

I got home to find the docs in the mail--I've been called for jury selection on September 10th.

Should I forgo bathing for a few days to make me smell offensive to others?

I just called the courthouse to confirm this meant one day only, as Dad is arriving later that week. After going through their long voice mail spiel, the voice said that if I still wanted to leave a message I could do so and that someone would get back to me at their convenience.

So you can guess what came out of my mouth on the message I left.

A very snarky comment that I had expected a real person, but gee, shouldn't be surprised with the lack of service from the government. I asked for confirmation that this was the one day only, explained why, and left my work number (not my name, actually) and said they could call me back at that number, at their convenience (with heavy sarcasm). Oops. It just slipped out like that! What, is it a full moon again?

Not a happy camper here. If it were to be something that took only a couple of days, maybe, depending on what it is. But hello?! Single income earner, no family to take care of the fur kids.

Anyway, I have a month and a bit to practice being even more obnoxious than I already am. 

Comments

Old Kitty said…
Oh noes! What bad timing! :-(

I do hope they get back to you - at their convenience, of course! LOL!

Right, no baths for you - and practice picking your nose in public! LOL! But seriously!! What a bummer! :-(

Take care
x
Anonymous said…
Your work doesn't pay you for jury duty? That sucks!!

I was fortunate that Home Depot did when I worked for them. being my first time of course I got picked to be on a jury!! I loved it. It took a day and a half and then I found out I was the alternate!! So I took the rest of the day off lol

not sure my present job pays. I have only been called once, but I lived in the next county and was in the process of moving so they said no thanks lol
Kea said…
Robyn: Yes, they pay, though that's not typical. I just don't want to do something that's days on end or weeks, or god forbid, requires being sequestered. There's no one but me to look after the boys and I sure as heck can't afford a cat sitter.

Guess I'll find out what kind of a case it is when I go.

If it's something involving a s*x crime, I can tell you my response will be "cut off his b*lls and stop wasting our time."
Angel Simba said…
Coincidence, our Daddy goes on the 9th of Sept for "two days or one trial". It always seems to come up after renewing driver's license here. So is the solution to drive without a license??
Saku said…
It's simple really, just say you've already made up your mind, the guy is guilty and I suspect you won't get chosen! I've never been selected (oh please I hope that doesn't jinx me) and that would be my response so I really don't know if it would work.

Hope you hear back soon. Have a great long weekend!
Our country doesn't have a jury system. The judge is judge, jury and executor (of the ruling govt's will)! They have their b*lls in the govt vault. Which basically means any opposition politician will most likely get the guilty verdict even if all evidence points to not guilty.

John Bellen said…
I love that: 'at their convenience'. Our government, those who serve us so well. Maybe they'll get back to you when an administrator returns from his three-hour, eighteen martini lunch, or when a secretary stops playing video games on her computer.

If you want out of jury duty, just tell them you're glad of the opportunity because you've always wanted to stick it to someone like the defendant...
I swear, (and I don't mean it in a mean way at all) that sometimes your life is like Murphy's Law!
xoxoxo
ANGEL ABBYGRACE said…
There are so many ways to get yourself removed from jury service. The day you report you can go before the Judge (beleive me half the room will) and tell him that what you feel comfortable with -- heck you can even say you are a caregiver to your aging parents, he doesn't have to know they live in another city! :) There are a multitude of things that would work, it's not a problem they expect at least 50% to want to be excused right away and really they don't want anyone who doesn't want to be there.
The two suggestions for getting out of duty are both excellent. Always give an answer like you've already made up your mind. And whatever the crime - it's happened to you or someone in your family and you couldn't possibly give an unbiased verdict. And be extremely obnoxious. You'll never see any of those people again, so who cares, and you'll be home for dinner.