Twelve Years Ago Today...

Twelve years ago today I hoofed it over to our local humane society, just to see who was there, and ended up bringing Annie (then known as "Fleur") home in a cardboard carrier, in a taxi.

I won't rehash the story, as I've written it many times before.

I do wish I had lots of photos though! I didn't even think to take any the day I brought her home. I had only a little film camera then, have so few shots of those early years. Digital cameras have been the greatest thing since the wheel!

Scanned in from late summer/early fall 2001.
Most of you will have seen these two pics already, numerous times.
She was my escape artist then, and I harnessed
and tied her in the back space for a long time.
It's hard to believe it's a dozen years ago.
To me, it feels more like 20, so much has happened since then.
In spite of all that happened after her hyper-t diagnosis, and all the strife after I adopted Nicki, I wouldn't trade my time with Annie for the world. I wish only that it could have been longer, and healthier.

Purrs from the boys and peace from me.

Comments

Angel Simba said…
We hadn't seen those pics of Annie before,. You can see how much younger she was then, less floof and narrower young face. What a special girl.
Angel Simba said…
Oh, and to add, we absolutely agree regarding digital cameras. It is hard to imagine back to the days when it might be weeks fromthe taking of a picture until you found out if it looked any good!
Such a beautiful girl. Big hugs to you!
Annie Bear said…
Oh, Annie. She was so beautiful. Take care today, Kim, and enjoy all the good memories. I love her tail in that first shot!
Katnip Lounge said…
I agree with Annie Bear--look at the tail! Annie certainly grew into it well. What a lovely memory, how you brought your precious girl home.

xx Trish
The first thing that caught my eye was her tail. So beautiful!
A year after I had Whisky, I decided to blow a big portion of my salary on a digital camera (they were so expensive then, AND only 3.2MP). Best $$$ spent! :)
ANGEL ABBYGRACE said…
Awww look at that precious face. Kim I know that this is a bittersweet day for you. You did the best you could for Annie and she had a home where she was loved and adored. She couldn't have asked for more. As I have discovered it is never enough time whether we have them a day, 10 years or 20, it is never enough.
Anonymous said…
We never get over losing them. They never live long enough. My Bob was born August 8, and we lost him on his 8th birthday, 1990. He was my first cat as an adult; a rescue. I miss him still. Hug.
Old Kitty said…
I've never seen that first pic of beautiful Annie!! Awwww her furrs were not yet fully grown but LOOK AT THAT TAIL!!! How ADORABLE is that tail? And her eyes!! Her eyes are so Annie!! They see right through you!

Big big BIG hugs, Kim! Take care
x
Saku said…
I haven't been around long enough to have seen these pics of Annie before or to have heard her story. She was a gorgeous girl, I especially love the ruff. she looks like a grey lioness!

I agree, we never truly get past the loss of these cats who find their forever homes in our heart.

Hugs for you today as you remember your special girl.
Annie was such a gorgeous girl. I wish I had met you before she became ill. I had met you right as she was first diagnosed (I think)..or possibly even later. So beautiful. ((((hugs))))
Anonymous said…
What a beautiful girl!! She looks surprised that you are taking her picture lol
Poppy Q said…
Glad that you and your girl Annie got to share so many good years together. Thanks for sharing - we know you miss her so.

Julie and Poppy Q
xxx
John Bellen said…
There's never enough time, is there? It all gives by too fast, too fast.
Anonymous said…
Our furry friends stay in our heart for ever!
xo Catherine
Clooney said…
Beautiful post. Thinking of you Kim as you pay tribute to Annie and sending you good thoughts and purrs.
Janet NZ said…
She was lovely wasn't she Kim? How good that you found each other. XO