Gadding About in Gananoque
Dad and I went to Gananoque yesterday, for a little jaunt. We go every year; it's a pretty spot and only 30 kms from home.
We took some donation items to the Gan. shelter first -- Toby's leftover food (the former stray), canned food the boys aren't eating now, bleach and paper towel, cat treats. It was after 10AM and they were supposed to be open--several cars were there, but the door was locked, so we left the donation items on their front step. Presumably they got them at some point. They actually have a sign out front indicating they have an adopt-a-thon on now, but with the door locked and no doorbell or knocker, they're not making it convenient for people to actually adopt.
We drove into town after that, parked and did our usual walk-about.
Dad in front of the clock tower
The town hall. Gananoque has about 5000 residents, so is a bit smaller than Perth.
The city park. I've taken pics here for what? Six or seven years now, I think!
These birds were in the park last year too, but they also have newer statues.
It's not a large park, but it, too, has the wonderful sound of rushing water.
The swans are still there, though I didn't see them at first, not until I saw Dad taking photos of something.
More birds
A very big bird. :-)
More birds, of a different feather.
Then we walked down to the waterfront for a bit before heading back to the main street and going for lunch.
Back of an old and now abandoned building.
Yet another gull.
Look closely on the boat's roof and you'll see another gull sunbathing.
The back of the Catholic church (from the water side) and manse--or whatever the attached home/office is called.
The two boats are a search and rescue one (the orange one) and a police boat. I joked to Dad that they had stopped for a beer (it was lunch time and they were docked at a hotel/restaurant).
One of the many B&Bs in town. I just liked their little front garden and sign.
We had lunch at the Panache Bakery and I even had a little piece of carrot cake for dessert. I stopped counting calories on Wednesday. LOL. It's seems impossible to keep my caloric intake down while Dad is here! :-)
So that was it for Gananoque for this trip.
Today we're off to the Ottawa area to visit friends of Dad's. Actually, it's someone from our Gaspé days, an elderly man now living with his daughter (who's about Dad's age), as he can no longer be on his own. (He's 103 and only now has developed heart problems.) Joe has been more a father figure to my dad than his own father was, and it's been a few years since Dad's seen him. Joe's only very recently moved from Gaspé, though he still owns two houses/properties there. I haven't seen Joe in 33 years, not since Mom and I moved away after she and Dad divorced. I'm not keen on another day-long jaunt or the highway driving, but this is more convenient for Dad and his schedule, so it's okay. Or, at least I hope it will be. :-)
Purrs from the boys and peace from me.
Comments
I had to enlarge the 17th pic as I couldn't work out if it was a real bird or not! LOL!! Wonderful!
I do like listening to the rush of water! I like that it drowns all else around it!
Gananoque sounds like my kind of holiday destination if I ever went there! It's small and perfectly formed and totally pretty!
Take care
x
I hope you and your dad enjoy visiting with his friend. 103! That is amazing!
I just have to say again that it is so pretty there!!
xoxoxo
We love that "very big bird" caption. Hey, where are your photos? ;)
Love the photos of Gananoque, the old buildings are lovely. I'm from a small town of 5000 originally...and we had nothing that nice!
The birds are gorgeous, especially the duck (?) with the blue feathers!
Sounds like you are having a wonderful time with your Dad!