Don't get stuck, Derry!

This was Derry last night, as I was starting to move things around.  :-)
 
He couldn't make it all the way (there's not a lot of room between the chair and the floor and let's face it, he's fat), but managed to extricate himself without assistance.

BTW, I'm feeling rather overwhelmed by all the "stuff" I have to move. I've always said there's no such thing as too many baskets (and decorative storage boxes), but yeah, there is. All filled with little bits of things, with no particular organization.

And do I really need six spare pillows for a once-a-year-guest?

A very small part of the crap I've got is in one of the spare rooms right now (below). The rest of the room is piled high, out of camera view, and the other room isn't far behind. Once this is all done and I'm starting at the top of the house to clean, I'll be doing another big clear-out for donation (just did that when Dad was here!) and making an attempt to get better organized. I'm tidy--really--but I'm not organized, if that makes sense. I have the same sorts of items tucked away here and there, all over the house.

I might need help. Volunteers? LOL.

BTW, I intend to put the boys in separate rooms because Nicki will be yeowling to get out and creating a ruckus. The rooms are quite small and I just don't think Nicki's wildness will help Derry. There's no closet in the room below, but I'm making a little nook on the lower shelf for Derry to curl up. He'll likely wedge himself elsewhere, though.

Originally I had thought to put him in the room with the closet, so he could go inside and hide, but this one is slightly further away from the noise, so it's a trade off.
The  night before last I was awake from about 2:45AM onward, for no particular reason. Last night, with the upcoming reno on my mind, I woke at 2:20 and didn't sleep again. I think I'm running on pure nerves, this being the first time I've ever had anything "big" done.

Oh, I put a note on the neighbour's mailbox when I got home from work, advising them of the upcoming noise and disruption...then snapped a pic as proof, so they can't claim that I didn't let them know. And of course our property management company is in the loop on all of this, including the snapshot. Not that I'm paranoid.
Now I'd better try and get something done at the office, though frankly, I can't hold a work thought in my head for more than two seconds right now, if that.  :-p

Purrs from the boys and peace (quiet) for and from me. LOL.

Comments

The Cat Guy said…
You could ask the construction crew to be extra loud banging on the wall just to annoy the neighbors, but then again it would frighten your boys too.
Random Felines said…
sounds like you have a plan. and love Derry under the chair :)
Katie Isabella said…
I am working backwards to see how you three are.
Anonymous said…
Poor Derry
I know just how he feels. I hide under things too.
John Bellen said…
It sounds exciting. As you may recall, I just had new flooring put in down in my basement. I'm sure my cats, especially the two boys, were scared a-plenty at first, but when I came home each day (it took three days), they surprised me by coming out to greet me, which they don't do if something has spooked them.

I don't know if recordings of harp music would help Derry or simply ad to the noise. Mary Anne at Feral Cat Behaviour has always found it soothed her stressful cats, though she didn't have noise of construction going on in the background. Sounds of running water may help, too.

Don't worry too much about accepting money from your father. I would dislike taking money from a parent, too (and have in the past) but they seem to find joy in helping their children. Go figure.
Anonymous said…
I would hide, too. Hope all goes well.
Annie Bear said…
Hee hee. Derry's so cute. It feels so good to purge of stuff but we've probably taken that to an extreme with all the moves we've done in the past few years.

This is so exciting (I totally understand the stress)!
John Bellen said…
I should mention that I was lucky enough to have a locking door to my ground floor, to keep anyone working in the basement from intruding. Is there anyway you can apply a lock to the doors behind which your boys will be sheltering during the renovations?

By the bye, I accidentally deleted your most recent comment from my blog, then tried to re-publish it. I didn't want you to think I'd taken offence at anything.
the 6 pillow thing made me laugh, I do the same :)
Hoping all goes well and I'm right with ya on the note, but then again, I'm paranoid too
xoxo
ANGEL ABBYGRACE said…
Any kind of reno causes a lot of messes. But after it's done you'll be so glad and you'll forget all the hiccups that happen, and they will. The boys will be fine!

Xoxox
vic said…
Hooray for your Dad for offering to help with the expense and for you for accepting. I'm so glad you are doing something that will mitigate all the caterwauling from next door.
Old Kitty said…
I would so volunteer to help you! Good luck with all the preparations for the renovations! You're doing great! All that moving and decluttering etc- they're good positive steps to regaining your space and life back from external disruptions!

Awww Derry! LOL!!! Take care
x
I'm so excited that you're going have peace and quiet again. Just a few days / weeks of stress and that's it! :)
Now, if there's a way to explain that to Derry so he'll understand.