A "stellar" week so far

With sarcasm.

My past personal issues with the former co-worker (over what she had said to me almost three years ago re: Annie) already got me in "trouble" on Monday. The first day. Mind you, I didn't say anything to that person at all, she had been speaking loudly, in her strident, grating way, at me about something. (In my books that's ranting.) I told my boss I wasn't going to tolerate it and things kind of went downhill from there.

Long story short, after a chat with my boss yesterday, at his request (both she and I having to meet in the middle--me not to take things so personally and she to tone it down), I emailed her and sorted things out, told her how hurt and angry I had been, that Annie had died the next day, etc.

So we have a peace on that, I guess, and are moving forward, new start, blah blah.

But I can tell you that hate it here. I'm right in the middle of the suite, people coming and going, more open than I was. I hate, absolutely detest being part of this group--a large part of the reason I've stayed so long has been the dynamic in our small original group. Not always great, ups and downs like any group together for a long time. But miles above this. I sure as hell haven't stayed for the work itself. (The main reason I've stayed, of course, is that I have to support myself and need a full time job with decent pay, benefits and pension.)

My knee jerk reaction is that it's time to pack up and go, but I'm telling myself to take a deep breath, calm down, and see what happens. While keeping an eye on other positions both here on campus and at our local college. I feel that at my age, with my lack of university degree, my options are pretty limited. 

Some days I just don't want to be the adult, you know? Some days I just want to lay it all down and have someone else pick up the slack.

Too bad Dad, who was in the U.S. yesterday for gas and beer, hadn't thought to pick up a Powerball ticket. He'd at least have had a chance. I heard two tickets won, not sure how many ticket-holders for each ticket. It'll be a Merry Christmas for them, I think.

Hey, I have chocolate in my desk, though. Dark chocolate. Time for a pick-me-up!

I hope you have something to give you a boost today.

Purrs from the boys and peace from me.

Comments

Saku said…
I feel for you, dealing with difficult people is a pain...in you know what!

Here`s hoping you can find some coping mechanisms...noise reducing headphones perhaps and a picture of the boys nearby to calm the nerves. Oh and chocolate too!
ANGEL ABBYGRACE said…
One thing that helped me sometimes in a difficult situation is ask myself in a year would any of ---- fill in the blank---- matter? Trying to give myself some perspective. This may not be of any help but it might. I know myself working day by day next to someone I had to pretend not to detest was very hard.

Keeping good thoughts for you,
Xoxox
Gosh, this reminds me of when I had to sit in my little cubicle between the 2 gossipiest, spiteful women. The horror when they would pop up like gophers to spy on what I was doing to fill their gossip fodder. AWFUL.
Janet NZ said…
Are you allowed an ipod at work?
Or a hip flask? ;-)
They would tide you over...
Is it possible to get an inter-department transfer?
Office politics are awful, so is change -and you have both going on. And it is the silly season. AND winter!
Love, peace and light being beamed at you from here. XO
John Bellen said…
I can empathise with you. I detest my job and loathe my boss. If you can imagine a stereotypical bad boss, that's mine. But at least you have benefits and a pension, if you manage to last that long. My boss thinks that making him money is its own reward.

Unfortunately, these days, a university degree, unless it is in the exact job one is applying for, means little, so you're not missing much. The only thing that bosses consider these days, it seems, is how much a prospective employee can contribute to profit.

Still, I have my cats and though they are draining me of most of my earnings - they and some unwise financial decisions - they are worth it.
meowmeowmans said…
That sounds really dreadful, Kim. I'm so sorry, and hope that some light finds its way into your workplace situation soon. Hugs!