Duct-cleaning is a very noisy business!

The boys survived, Derry had to move a couple of times, Nicki too, but I had no problem with that, thank you, Universe. It's a very noisy business, though!

There's no entry from the garage into the house, so he had to run the hoses from the basement up the stairs and out the hall to the truck.
 
It's also a very cold business in winter. That tarp didn't do much to prevent the cold wind from blowing in. I was the one who taped it up with painter's tape, as he really wasn't prepared with anything to hold the tarp in place. After he dicked around it with for too long, I told him I'd fiddle around with it while he started the ducts, as it was just wasting his time (and my heat).
 A snap of his vacuum bags from my bedroom window.
I turned the heat off, of course, and it got down to 51F before he was done and I could turn the furnace back on. Brrrr. (If only it were 51F outside, though!)
He said there wasn't anything "heavy" in the ducts, but they were all filled with drywall dust. So poor Nicki has been breathing all that in (Derry and me too) for the past four months. Stupid me. I ought to have had this done right after the reno. I'm glad it's done now, though, it was worth the $300+ it cost.

I cleaned up after he left, then went to the mattress store for the refund on the headboard, then to pick up a few things at Costco.

Now I'm home and watching my favourite daytime show (Steven & Chris), while the boys crash from the day's adventure.  
Purrs from them and peace from me.

Comments

Ahhhhhhhhh maybe THAT is what was causing their problems????
Thank goodness it is all clean and the boys fared well! (all factors considered)
Kea said…
Caren: Originally I thought it was that with Nicki, but if that were the case, Derry would not have caught it too. So definitely a bad URI for them both, but probably exacerbated in Nick's case by the dust, given he has ongoing asthma/bronchial issues.
Saku said…
I'm glad the work got done, but I'm really surprised the guy wasn't prepared to deal with sealing off the front door.

If we were to have a 51F temperature we'd all be running around happy outdoors...not so much indoors! Glad the boys made it through without too much stress.
meowmeowmans said…
What an ordeal -- it all sounds exhausting! But we are glad the duct cleaning is done, and hope it helps you all breathe easier (pun sort of intended). Big hugs to you all.
Whew. It sure is good to know the duct cleaning is done with. You must all breath so much better now. :)
Anonymous said…
Glad you were able to get that done!
John Bellen said…
Things are getting done! I think that, even if the ducts weren't the cause of the boys' problems, everyone will be breathing easier now. It makes me wonder when my house's ducts were last cleaned. I may be breathing air that was in the house when Diefenbaker was prime minister...
Clooney said…
Glad that's all over with for you and the boys...I've had it done two times and yes, it is very noisy and the cats were very scared both times. Hope that it will help all to feel better.