A thoughtful gesture

My birthday is next week, and I got a card in the mail yesterday from a friend in Montreal (actually my dad's second ex-wife). We always exchange b-day and Christmas cards, nothing unusual about that. But this time she had included a cheque for a small amount, so I could treat myself to some little thing. (She's the one who always takes her entire birthday week off to pamper herself and do whatever she wants--whether that's doing nothing or going to a spa or taking a trip, etc.)

Her gesture totally took me aback, as she's not done that before. I didn't know how to take it--was she taking pity on someone whose funds always end up being doled out on bills and vets? Part of me feels like a charity case and I've been wondering whether I should cash the cheque at all.

I called her and thanked her, of course. She meant it purely as a gift and told me it was for me (lunch or whathaveyou), not for the cats (lol), not even to put toward something for the new bed.

I feel odd, though, accepting. It doesn't sit well. It's not like it's gift money from a parent, which I have no problem accepting. LOL.

Maybe I should buy myself flowers and/or a nice dessert or even a good bottle of rye. I'll think about it.

It was a very kind gesture though; I know she meant well.

Potted crocuses that someone in our office suite has on their desk.
Purrs from the boys and peace from me.

Comments

John Bellen said…
I would be a bit uncomfortable with such a gift, I suppose, but it is a gift. If you feel a bit awkward about it, use it to buy something that will benefit both yourself and a good cause. I can't think of what that would be right now, so I'll leave that bit up to you...
Kea said…
Hmm, good idea. Maybe I could find a couple of spring/summer tops at Value Village, something like that.
I'm sure that your accepting her "gift" would make her really happy. :) Just remember to spend it on yourself and not on the boys! ;)
ANGEL ABBYGRACE said…
I am sure she meant it as a gift of kindness and I hope you will treat yourself and just enjoy. Perhaps you can pass on the kindness to someone else.
Katie Isabella said…
I feel it was a gift of care and kindness and it would be a shame not to use it. I think the spirit was good. Enjoy and have something nice. I would love something like that. :-)
Katnip Lounge said…
Sometimes, a cigar is just a CIGAR. Splurge a little and send photos...
Anonymous said…
She may have a bit of maternal feeling, even as a friend, knowing that you need to de-stress and pamper yourself. Let her do this for you; she cares.
The Cat Guy said…
I'm with K.L. -splurge and smoke a fat stogie!
meowmeowmans said…
I think you should just enjoy her kindness, and do something you enjoy. :)
I am 100% with Angel AbbyGrace. Just enjoy, don't over analyze it. After my father passed I NEVER heard from my stepmother again who I was "close" to. I say it was an extremely kind gesture
Saku said…
I agree with many of the comments, she obviously meant this gift in the kindest way. Enjoy it!


The Whiskeratti said…
I didn't even know you had a non-furry blog. :) I came here to tell you that the fountain I talked about really doesn't have any motor noise, just the water falling. It's very pretty. I'd read that was a problem with some of the less expensive options.

PS: Enjoy the gift. She's being kind. And none of get enough kindness in our lives as it is.
John Bellen said…
About my new telephone... There is a minority of men who feel about gadgets just the opposite to the majority. Rather than loving toys, we are the Luddites, who merely want to be left alone with our chalk and slates, horses and buggies. I'm not mechanical, but at least when something runs by gears and pulleys, a good whack on the side will get it working. Unfortunately, when the roads become unsafe for wagons, even we Luddites must look to internal combustion.