A few sandwiches short of a picnic

Okay, so in my last post I alluded to a woman who had volunteered for us for a short time, but who had "issues" and who wasn't qualified to do the work. My old boss had asked her to leave last Friday morning. She accosted someone in the department across the hall from us on her way out, asking if that person's name was "M" and what her role was at the university.

Well.

This afternoon I got a call from someone else over in that other department -- guess who had just walked in a short time ago and been skulking around again (for the 4th or 5th time)? They asked if they could help her and she said oh, no, she was just looking for "K," the person she seems to have fixated on as being able to help her, career-wise. They also asked if she (the former skulking volunteer) worked in the building and she replied not at this time. (Uh, never, lady.)

So, they're a bit freaked out. I'm a bit freaked out. 

This woman obviously has some serious problems, whether she's got something like Aspberger's or other high functioning autism-spectrum disorder, or is just plain nuts.

I emailed both my old boss and one of the staff at the other department, to suggest they consider the possibility of keeping their suite door locked (and ours) for the time being. That might be over-reacting, but it's worth considering, IMO.

Because if this keeps happening across the hall, I can see Security having to get involved.

Oy!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Oh my goodness. I'd be scared for sure. Seriously, people are crazy and there's no telling what they'll do. Luckily, when people leave my employer they never want to set foot on the property again! **sigh**
Just be careful, OK? Don't let her approach you.
Be careful! You can never be too cautious nowdays. We had a situation years ago with an employee we were concerned about doing the same thing. We did have a plan but luckily he never came back. Just took us to court.
John Bellen said…
It's likely that nothing will come of this, but I can well understand your caution. There is always the tiny percentage of crazy people who will actually do something. Locking doors is not unreasonable, and will probably deter any unwarranted attempts at intrusion. Let's hope the woman grows tired of whatever game she thinks she's involved in.
ANGEL ABBYGRACE said…
Yes everyone needs to be kept on vigil. She's probably harmless but everyone's safety must be of the highest importance.
Anonymous said…
We have a neighbour like this, who does this at neighbourhood meetings. It is scary when someone is aggressive in this manner. One cannot be too careful anymore. Yikes.
Saku said…
Apparently she lives in her own special world. Hopefully nothing comes of it, but I agree it's best to be cautious.

Nope, I'm definitely not as bat-shit crazy as this woman though I swear my workplace is trying to push me there! :p

The bad day was yesterday....I still wasn't over it by the morning.
meowmeowmans said…
Wow, that's disturbing. Can security do anything to keep her out of the building (or is it an open access type situation)? Be safe.