Music to my ears

3:03PM EDT and the sound of my washing machine on its rinse cycle is music to my ears.

Yesterday I called the appliance repair shop I used the last time the washer died (November 2012), 98% sure no one would be there on a holiday Monday. But no, they were open till 1PM. Yippee! So I was able to make an appointment for today, and the repair guy showed up just after 10AM, earlier than expected. Not the same guy who came in November 2012, but he told me the same thing: It's a good (mechanical) machine, worth rebuilding when the motor goes.

Fortunately it wasn't the motor this time, it was something that sounded like "capacitor," the doohickie that gives the machine its initial shot of "juice." A starter of sorts, I guess. A $25 part, plus $40 to show up and $40 for the labour, plus tax. Came out to $118.65 and I thought that was pretty darned good.

Sunday's load is finishing up now, rewashed, and I've a second load to go in shortly. (Found microfibre sheets on sale at Canadian Tire, of all places, for $17 for the double set. Not my colour--a dark taupe--but they were the only ones left and who I am to quibble for $17? They're next to be washed.)

Ooh, this staycation is going into the record books for excitement so far!

At least I have a beer. Stopped by the LCBO as one of my errands after the repair fellow left. Haven't had a beer in quite a while and am enjoying it. Nice to enjoy something on my days off.
***
After being essentially plant-less for the past several years or more, save for two big "trees" currently outside, I'm rooting cat-safe plants now. (Printed the ASPCA list last week while at work-- all 23 pages, double-sided of course.)

I'm going to experiment with growing them in water only, have been reading up on that. Mom used to do hydroponics, but the clay pebbles are not necessary. I have some pretty coloured glass stones, though, from the dollar store. And I've picked up a few pots that will accommodate the jars--apparently to avoid algae you can either use opaque glass or put the clear glass jars in something opaque, like another planter or vase, basket, whatever. I don't know that every plant will do well without soil, but the soil is merely a vehicle for the nutrients (and to hold the plant up), so I figure it's worth a shot.

The reason I got rid of all but two of my plants (took them to the office) wasn't that the boys were into them, but that they were scattered through the house and I would forget about them. This time I'm having a collection in one spot, so I won't forget to care for them. (That's probably why my plants at work are thriving, because they're all right there in my little space and I water them regularly.)

I've been missing green!
The peperomia and spider plant clippings are from plants I used to have here and now are in my cubicle. I bought the rosemary, the prayer plant and the aluminum plant over the weekend. I'd like a cast iron plant too, if I can find one. Cat-safe and good in low light, which is a factor for me, as the living room is north-facing and doesn't get any direct sunlight.

If these clippings don't survive, I'll try something else. Easy come, easy go. But if they do thrive, so much the better. I'd like an African violet too, but I'm not sure it would do well with this light. The peperomia you can't kill, at least when in soil. It will thrive in bright sun as well as in more indirect light.

I'd like to bring a bit of the "jungle" I have in the garden inside, on a micro-scale. Essentially a haphazard collection; contained "wildness." 

Hmm, maybe deep in my psyche I have hidden "wildness" too.  ;-P

Peace.

Comments

meowmeowmans said…
Well, we think getting your washer fixed IS pretty darned exciting! :)

Here's wishing you a continued good staycation. Beer, plants, working appliances and cats ... sounds great to us.

Hugs!
John Bellen said…
I love greenery and gardens but have neither the skill nor patience for them, unfortunately. That's one of the many reasons why I should be rich: so that I can employ a gardener who has skill, patience and inclination.
possumlady said…
I would think these should help you get through the gray winter months!
ANGEL ABBYGRACE said…
Glad you were able to get the washer fixed and are back in business. The green always looks wonderful!!
Good thing it was a relatively easy fix to get your washer going again. I am very familiar with the capacitor as our air conditioner capacitor died on us THREE times in 5 years. ;)

Your little indoor jungle is doing really well in your office! Good thing they are next to a window and have access to natural sunlight.
Kea said…
The indoor "jungle" in the pic is at home. :-)