It won't be "ho ho ho" till I can get at my decorations!

I finally bit the bullet and went to Kijiji to look for someone who picks up junk, because I really need my garage cleaned out. I can't easily get to my Christmas decorations right now, tucked into a back corner as they are. Oops. It's not like I have a ton of stuff, but there are a lot of little things, and a few large items, that need to be cleared out.

So I saw an add listing $x per load, all in, no added disposal fees or hidden costs and emailed the fellow yesterday. Supposedly he'll come by after work tomorrow (he has a "full size long box pick up truck"). And he will take a personal cheque--I asked. I could pay him cash, but prefer cheque because there will be a record of my payment.

Of course I tried to find this fellow's address via Canada 411 and via a postal code look-up. (The ad has a postal code associated with it.) It's an address in the west end of the city. I also Googled his name, with the only local reference being to a 2011 news article with a police constable of the same name. Surely not the same person, I thought.

However, I was mentioning this to someone at work this morning, telling her the postal code listed it as "Y" Street in town, and she said yes, he's a constable, or was. She doesn't know him personally, but knows of the family, as she lives in the area.

I'm not sure why, if he's still working for our local police department, he'd want to pick up junk, but maybe to make Christmas money for presents for his kids or some such. In any event, if it is the same person, he probably can be trusted to (a) show up and (b) charge me what he wrote he would, not try to cheat me.

I admit to being a bit wary of contacting anyone via Kijiji, after the handyman experience several years ago.

Fingers crossed, though, because it will feel so good to get rid of the crap. You know, to get at the holiday decorations...and make room for more crap!

Another sunset shot from Tuesday...because I have nothing else.
BTW, it's just occurred to me that if he is this (former?) constable, he might have done a search on my number/address to check who lives there. Ha! I would, were I in his shoes. But then, I can be paranoid. (No, really? I hear you respond, with poorly veiled sarcasm.)

Peace.

Comments

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said…
Um if he is a police officer I wonder if you could just call and see if he is indeed working there? I think you are smart to check because truly you never know about someone and what may be their motives.
Kea said…
I think odds are good it's the same person, though he might not be working there anymore. Plus they might not know he moonlights, if is working. So I wouldn't call and they'd probably ask me a zillion questions anyway, inquiring as to why *I* was asking!
Saku said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Saku said…
It's really not (oops missed that the first time) that uncommon for police and firefighters especially to have sideline businesses - at least here in Saskatchewan. They tend to work shifts, with breaks of 3 or 4 days between. Working for themselves, they can pick and choose the jobs they take and the amount of hours they work. So between having the time for the work, they also create jobs for themselves when they do retire. Not bad if you can make it work!

Christmas decorations already? Oh, I am so not ready to go there yet!
noodlecat said…
Oh no! Not Christmas decorations...it's still 2 weeks until Thanksgiving! Eek!

Panicky Noodle
meowmeowmans said…
It's smart (as opposed to paranoid) to do a little digging to see if you can get some background. Hopefully, he really is a constable. :)