Welcome to winter

All I can say is that it’s TOO early for this white stuff!

Snapped yesterday around 8:10AM, waiting for a bus.
We have snow again today, though it was supposed to have rained. That’s not happening, at least not yet.

More of the same for much of the week, and of course I have to take Nicki to the vet tomorrow for his anal glands and blood work. Fun times.

BTW, the score is Nicki 247, Kim 0 re: the Aerokat mask. Well, almost. He’ll let me put it on for a few seconds, then pull away. He gets rewarded with a treat every single time he lets me do it, of course, so it’s going to be interesting to see who caves first. I’m a little discouraged, I admit. It’s easy to see why most people who have asthmatic cats don’t go this route, or so I’m guessing. Cost aside, it’s a huge challenge to train your cat to accept this. Entirely different if you’re wrapping him/her up or having an extra pair of hands and just doing it. I don’t want to go that route yet, today is “only” day 6. Still, if I’m a few weeks into this and am not ready to do the actual meds, I might have to rethink my strategy. Honestly, if I knew in advance that he was going to die in a couple of years from something else, I wouldn’t even attempt the Aerokat. (Liver disease comes to mind, as his numbers have been trending upward over the past few years and were above high normal at his check last fall, hence my desire to run blood work again tomorrow.) Anyway, for now I’ll persevere and try not to get too bummed out about it.

I am taking a vacation day tomorrow, have a few to use up, and since it's a 9:30AM appointment, I might as well use the afternoon for something more productive than sitting in front of spreadsheets.  :-)

Take care, everyone. BTW, I wouldn't object to some positive energy for the Aerokat training, or for Nicki's blood test results, if anyone should feel so inclined.

Peace.

Comments

John Bellen said…
I have no idea how I would train one of my cats to use a mask, and I know what you mean by not having an extra pair of hands. Perhaps holding the mask near but not against Nicki for the first little while would frighten him a little less. It's hard to get co-operation when he probably thinks he'll be smothered.
Kea said…
Already done that, marinated it in a treat bag for a couple of hours, rub treats on it, give him lots of kisses and scritches and praise (as well as the treats). It's too small for him to eat the treat out of it, I've tried that too. Guess it just takes time. I know this, but wonder if we'll ever get there.
ANGEL ABBYGRACE said…
Kim I truly sympathize. I can't even hold Annabelle long enough to trim her nails. So I get it. But sending positive vibes and hope with time Nicki will get accustomed to the mask.
for kittens I've been told to make a chamber for them out of a plastic shoe tote.. one woman told for even smaller cats she uses a plastic bag.. Maybe you can find a plastic box that is Nicki sized?

http://www.delmartian.com/null_pointers/2013/10/howto-build-a-nebulizer-chamber-for-your-asthmatic-pet/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfInZd_OKrY
wishing you the best of luck tomorrow! Tell me about this early winter, crazy! I just got home from Ft.Lauderdale yesterday and this is cruel and unusual punishment!
Saku said…
Poor Nicki and you too, it can't be easy. I hope he eventually you are trying to help him. Good luck at the vet's tomorrow!

We're getting our snow here too, though I would think from the photo you've got more. It would okay with me if you keep it, though I'm sure you're thinking the opposite.

Have a good rest of the day off!
Anonymous said…
I feel bad for you, regarding the mask situation. It is hard, I know. Each cat is different, just as each human is. I hope your vet can help find a solution soon. Hang in there. Hug.
Annie Bear said…
I also hope you're able to find a good solution. I wonder about Connie's idea. Also, maybe one of those links she provided will have something helpful for Nicki's situation. I hope all goes well tomorrow.
The Island Cats said…
Woke up to snow this morning, too. With more predicted in the next day or two. I agree...way too early for this weather! The leaves are still on the ground.

Hope all goes well with Nicky and the vet visit.

Island Cat Mom
The Cat Guy said…
When we had to administer some very nasty medicine to our last batch of foster kittens everyday for weeks, we created a ritual of giving them a little tuna first, then giving them the medicine, followed by more tuna. It didn't take long for them to see it as a positive experience. You might try adding a positive treat immediately prior to the mask application as well as directly after. Tuna or chicken or some such yumminess might make it more intriguing too.
meowmeowmans said…
Sending purrs and prayers that Nicki gets used to the Aerokat with time, patience and treats. Moosey gets nose drops every day, and actually goes to his "spot," lays down, and tilts his head. Very treat motivated...