Electrical was an easy fix
Cost $70 for his time and the new outlet, but worth it.
I was worried there had been a small fire behind the wall, because last night I could see a smokey grey mark above the outlet, but P said it was just the smoke itself and should scrub off. He removed the old outlet and then showed me how far the up the wire the insulation had melted (not far). He said it happened because of the heating and contracting of the wire when using things like my hairdryer and my electric heater (to warm up the freezing bathroom when I shower). Over time all that expanding and contracting just melted the cover on two of the wires. So it wasn't a faulty wiring (during building) issue. I had asked him if he would test all my outlets for shorts and he said he could, though felt it would be a waste of money. That was before he took out the old outlet and showed me the problem. Now that I've seen what was wrong, I'm less inclined to panic about the rest of the outlets.
He did change it to a GFC (or whatever it is), which has been required by code for years of course (but apparently wasn't when the units were built). And I'll get him to replace the kitchen outlet by the sink with a GFC one too, when he does the counter.
Speaking of....You see my ugly green "island" in the pic below from November 2013 (during the drywall reno). Well, it was an equally ugly speckled grey laminate originally, and on the far side of the post (which has the plumbing pipes going upstairs) there are two seams, because the "handy"man who put it in when we were buying the place had to patch it in. Personally, I don't care that there's a little extra piece that had to be put in and that you can see the seams, but P seems to care very much and really doesn't want to do that. He's suggesting I could go with a bamboo butcher-block type counter for the island, which he could make appear seamless.
I was worried there had been a small fire behind the wall, because last night I could see a smokey grey mark above the outlet, but P said it was just the smoke itself and should scrub off. He removed the old outlet and then showed me how far the up the wire the insulation had melted (not far). He said it happened because of the heating and contracting of the wire when using things like my hairdryer and my electric heater (to warm up the freezing bathroom when I shower). Over time all that expanding and contracting just melted the cover on two of the wires. So it wasn't a faulty wiring (during building) issue. I had asked him if he would test all my outlets for shorts and he said he could, though felt it would be a waste of money. That was before he took out the old outlet and showed me the problem. Now that I've seen what was wrong, I'm less inclined to panic about the rest of the outlets.
He did change it to a GFC (or whatever it is), which has been required by code for years of course (but apparently wasn't when the units were built). And I'll get him to replace the kitchen outlet by the sink with a GFC one too, when he does the counter.
Speaking of....You see my ugly green "island" in the pic below from November 2013 (during the drywall reno). Well, it was an equally ugly speckled grey laminate originally, and on the far side of the post (which has the plumbing pipes going upstairs) there are two seams, because the "handy"man who put it in when we were buying the place had to patch it in. Personally, I don't care that there's a little extra piece that had to be put in and that you can see the seams, but P seems to care very much and really doesn't want to do that. He's suggesting I could go with a bamboo butcher-block type counter for the island, which he could make appear seamless.
I've been Googling bamboo counter tops and see that both Rona and Lowe's carry them, but for the width I think I'd need, about $200 -- double the $100 P was telling me. I also see that they do require oiling initially and some care and maintenance. Ugh. He suggested he take me out to Lowes to see what's available, though I think I'll pop out this weekend on my own, with my island measurements, and get a better idea of cost. He knows I have a small budget, but "small" for him and "small" for me are two different things. It's a tiny area to fit, yes, but still....Anyway, this counter top business has been dragging on since last fall and looks to be dragging on much longer. Whatever. It's tempting to give up, but I still need it replaced, so on we plod.
Anyway, right now I'm sticking with my original choice of laminate for the main part of the counter (which also is tiny) and will consider the bamboo for the "island". I'm not keen on something that needs maintaining, but I can just imagine him not doing the counter at all, rather than cut a little piece of laminate to fit around that post! Oy. I do trust him to do a good job, though, and because I already know him (and of course his wife), don't want to hunt around for anyone else for this. For other things, maybe--someone else who also could get the work done properly, just faster.
Peace.

Comments
Glad that was all there was wrong with the plug. Good to know. Very good to know.
Dad.....
I am like you with not wanting something I have to maintain, but I bet it would look great.
A GFC if I remember correctly has a built-in circuit breaker, right at the plug-in. There should be a re-set button in the plug in, should the plug stop working. They are safer apparently wherever there is water nearby, like a bathroom or kitchen.
I'm like you...I like the look of the butcher block but I wouldn't want to have to maintain it. I do know if you spill something like red wine it can really stain it. I chose a laminate when I re-did my counters...the only issue I have with it is when someone uses a sharp knife with no cutting board...drives me crazy!
I am having a wonderful month here on the island. Honestly, the cost of living up-island as they say here isn't as bad as one would think. There are certain items that are more expensive but housing really isn't more expensive than Regina. If you get a chance, check it out!
I too have a small budget. My boss, who is essentially in charge of my small budget, was going on the other day about all the improvements I am lucky enough to do as a house-owner. I laughed and told him I'd be lucky to afford a tenth of what he suggested, and all with the cheapest materials. He didn't understand why I had to do it that way. Oh well.