OMG: Labels, labels, labels!

Friday I spent a good chunk of time reading up on hypercalcemia in cats, because you all know Nicki's borderline. (BTW, as an FYI, the lab--IDEXX--changed its reference values for calcium sometime after late 2013, from then 2.0 - 2.9 to now 2.2 - 2.7. I asked the vet about it and he explained that it could be better testing and/or better knowledge of calcium as relates to cat health, etc.)

So yesterday and today I've spent a huge amount of time checking out 100+ pet food brands, only to come up with five that I can get here and that seem suitable. (None of which the boys probably will eat!)

If anyone really is desperate to read up on their pet's food, you can check for recall and other info at Truth About Pet Food: http://truthaboutpetfood.com/

Or Google for pet food recalls.

You'll get plenty to read.

I found this independent pet food store in the U.S. helpful (though keep in mind they have their own agenda too):

http://www.animalnature.net/unnaproved-product-and-maufacturere-listing.html

Most of the foods they do approve of aren't available to me and one, Stella and Chewy's (dog food) had a voluntarily recall this year.

It's really, really hard to find good pet food. Even the supposed better brands, like Wellness for instance (and its parent company) have been involved in multiple recalls and even law suits.

Or the "good" foods are filled with things like peas and carrots or blueberries, cranberries, etc., all things cats do not need. They're marketed as healthy to we humans who have the four food groups in mind, but really they're fillers to cut costs. (Grain-free brands either use fat or veggies as fillers.)

Several "premium" brands list "natural flavors" as their third or fourth ingredient. What exactly does that mean?

Bottom line: Unless you're making your own cat food, tailored for his/her health needs, you're screwed.

And the bottom line for Nicki: See if I can get him to eat a few more better brands, because really, I'm not feeding anything great right now except occasionally Weruva (which IS one of the good brands, no recalls), and see if I can somehow get more water into him, to help flush his system. (Maybe a pet fountain? I've tried two in the past, neither of which the cats would go near. Motor too noisy, I think.)

Beyond that, there's not much I can do, short of making my own cat food and trying to get them to eat it--two cats that don't recognize human food as, well, food.

Peace.

Comments

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said…
It's tough with food and water, I know. And sometimes I wonder if it really makes that much difference, because even in human food there are known issues.
Kea said…
Yes, our own food has a host of issues, whether we're consuming it ourselves or making pet food with it.

Just to show that every pet is individual and genetics must play a significant role: Derry, who eats the same food (and eats more of the crap Whiskas that I don't let Nicki have much of), had a calcium level of 2.3 when he was tested in March prior to his dental. (Range 2.2 to 2.7)

In other words, he's eating the same or worse, but he leans to, if anything, the lower end of acidity in his urine. So for him, those added acidifiers don't matter, like they do for Nick.
Angel Simba said…
We have emailed you some info we found
Saku said…
You've certainly done your due diligence in the hopes of finding something good for Nicki. I hope you find a food that will resolve the issues and that he will eat. Good luck!
Cat Lover said…
Kim, you are such a good pet parent! We went through a similar search for good cat food with Sam too. You get different opinions on the same food. And the food at the vet was so expensive. Of course Sam turned her nose up at it! I wish you luck and send lots of purrs and prayers.
John Bellen said…
We can do only our best, and know that we are doing our best. You take care of your cats better than you do yourself, and you have no reason to upbraid yourself about it. The boys have the best possible care.
Rian said…
Kim, we use a Petco automatic fountain for cats. It' wasn't expensive (maybe $30), isn't noisy, and our cats love it. I throw ice-cubes in it in the summer. And the best thing about it, it has lasted several years now without the motor running out...