Could you give it all up? Would you?

I was checking one of my favourite sites over lunch (Mother Nature Network) and saw this article about a Belgian man who quit his regular job and life and, with his dog Lana, now is living in the woods:

http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/wilderness-resources/blogs/he-quit-his-normal-life-go-live-woods

I admit it's tempting, the idea of chucking it all and starting a new life away from the absurdities we've created for ourselves in our consumer-driven, corporate-climbing world. Not that I have a passion for (or knowledge of) living in the bush, of course.

But I do feel a real pull right now to declutter and downsize, feel very strongly that all my "stuff" and responsibilities are a burden. (So if you're reading this, Mom, for god's sake, don't give me any craft or decor or other impractical items this Christmas; I can promise you they will go directly to Value Village and you will have wasted your money.) 

Every weekend I go through a bookcase or dresser or closet in the house and ask myself what I'd take if I were moving into a 500 square foot home. The answer: Not much.

I'll never be a minimalist, but I would like to have only things that are useful or that I truly don't want to be without.

What about you? Could you do something that drastic like chucking it all? Would you even want to? Are you attached to your "stuff" or do you find it all a burden?

Peace.

Comments

John Bellen said…
I wouldn't have a problem with living in a tiny house away from it all. I'd need my books, my cats and...some means of livelihood. That's what keeps me tied to where I am, really.
Poppy Q said…
That is how I feel too Kim. I am tired of getting presents that I then have to take to the charity shop. I have asked my friends that rather than do Christmas presents we spend the money renting a house for a weekend away. For birthdays I would rather we shared a dinner out together or go to a show or concert.

When I moved a year ago I gave away about half of my stuff. All my books, 90% of my dvds and cds and kept only what I loved. I didn't need 20 mugs when I lived alone and don't drink hot drinks.

julieq
Kea said…
I don't want to do a tiny house, but a small house with awesome outdoor space that's private and quiet. Even though I keep getting rid of stuff, I still have too much stuff!
Kea said…
Yes, better to spend money on an *experience* rather than on material things no one really needs.

I have only a few hardcover books left, I got rid of every paperback, something I couldn't have imagined a year ago. Now all my fiction is on my ereader or stored in the cloud.

As for CDs and DVDs, I donated at least half... But not 90%. That's fantastic, good for you. But I remember that you had to move and downsize. You seem to have made it work for you, Julie.
Saku said…
Some days, absolutely! Especially when I'm cleaning my house and on days when I'm super annoyed at work.

I've started the process of purging, and have a mental list of what I will take with me when I retire. The problem is everything ends up in the garage and I've yet to take it any further. When things slow down....

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said…
I am still partial to my personal things, clothing and jewelry.
But I too have been removing things and giving them away. I would like less space to care for and am consciously thinking about that and what I would take and what I would leave.
Barbara said…
There's a book written by Marie Kondo currently being mentioned in blogland. The focus is tidying up, but also seems to be about de-cluttering. Might be of interest.
Katnip Lounge said…
When we moved to Nevada we downsized to about a fifth if the floorspace. We only got rid of one thing we regret, Scott's Weber grill! It was so nice to start fresh with hardly anything.
Katnip Lounge said…
When we moved to Nevada we downsized to about a fifth if the floorspace. We only got rid of one thing we regret, Scott's Weber grill! It was so nice to start fresh with hardly anything.
Anonymous said…
I am constantly getting rid of stuff. I am so very tired of stuff. It is just..."stuff".
Cat Lover said…
Your home is very uncluttered Kim. I didn't see lots of extra stuff.
As you know I inherited some things when Mum moved in with my brother. I have to deal with the guilt of getting rid of any of it! We do make regular runs to Bibles For Missions and drop off stuff.
I do love Peace Pilgrim. I have her book! Aaahhh, more stuff!
See you tomorrow.
Fuzzy Tales said…
The funny thing is, my office cubicle is SO cluttered! Maybe because it's so small, and I have all the needed supplies around me, plus files, etc., etc.

Everything migrates to my garage too, until I get around to calling for pick up. :-)
Fuzzy Tales said…
Even when you love having lots of stuff around you, I think it's a great exercise to consider what you would take when moving. Helps pinpoint what's really important!
Fuzzy Tales said…
I'll Google and check it out, thanks! :-)
Fuzzy Tales said…
Downsizing that much would have taken a lot of purging--and forethought! Too bad about the grill -- lol. I've gotten rid of stuff in the past that I then wanted 6 months later, but oh well...!
Fuzzy Tales said…
We're inundated with advertising telling us that we won't be happy until we have such-and-such, and yes, it does get very tiresome after a certain point. We can't take it with us when we die, so unless it means a lot, is beautiful or useful, what's the point?
Fuzzy Tales said…
I feel like the downstairs is SO cluttered! Probably partly because of missing kitchen cupboard doors and all the cat stuff around. Upstairs there's really not so much, but the rooms are so small (master bedroom being the only exception) that there's no way to comfortably cram things in. I like "white space," visually. On a web site and in my home -- i.e. clear space for my eye to rest. Very cluttered homes, and I've been in a few, make me feel uneasy, I can't relax in them when walls and floors are jam packed.
Janet NZ said…
We are in the process of 'downsizing'. Plotting a move from our 3 bedroom home of 30 years that has always been too big for just the two of us. I have been anguishing over which books to keep and which to donate. I CANNOT believe that I didn't think to kindle them !!! Face palm... SIGH
Thank you for the suggestion - it has made me feel very much better. Now, to deal with my stash of fabric...
XO
Kea said…
Janet, it's nice to see you out there in cyber space, I'm glad you're still around -- okay, I hope? Other than the stress of preparing for a move, that is!

I would say if you will reread a book, take it with you. If you'll never open it again, don't bother. I've gone from hundreds and hundreds of books to only a few hardcover ones, but that process has taken many years. I had favourite authors and had collected entire series of books...and finally, years later, they really didn't that much to me anymore. So you can't let go of anything until you're ready. :-)
meowmeowmans said…
Our place isn't that big, so we're always asking, "do we really need this?" It is a great exercise to think about what you REALLY need, isn't it?