Family Visit Pics 3 and Happy Birthday to Nicki!
First, a happy 9th birthday to Nicki!
Peace.
I can see his age creeping up in his body, but he still seems healthy (please, gods, let that be so), and he still gets into trouble, as he always has. I hope he'll be with me for many years yet, fates and gods willing. Happy birthday, Mr. PurrBug!
Now for the slew of photos from Tuesday, when we drove to Prince Edward County. I pulled a "Robin" and snapped quite a few pics from the car, as we were zooming by. LOL.
Heading out, passing by Collins Bay Marina.
All traffic came to a standstill for this. Something to do with the power generating station that's being built up ahead.
We were stuck for 20 minutes or so.
Why do farmers leave hay in their fields?
The colours were starting, more so than in town.
At the ferry terminal, waiting for the next ferry.
Here it comes!
An extra passenger? (No, s/he flew off after I snapped the pic.)
I liked the wave pattern the ferry was making. It was a very calm day!
The Claramount Inn and Spa, on the way into Picton. Built in the early 1900s.
The old wives tale, growing up, was that if the mountain ash trees had a lot of berries, there would be a lot of snow through the winter. Looks like the County will get a lot of snow!
One of the old churches in Picton.
Statue of Sir John A MacDonald outside the public library. He was Canada's first prime minister and practiced law and lived in the area, as well as in my city. I'm not sure if Hélène is the accused or a witness! :-)
Dad's turn.
Then it was up to Lake on the Mountain for lunch.
The fire had been roaring; I ought to have taken a pic then.
Outside the restaurant/inn and looking at the Lake. No one really knows how it was formed, there's no apparent source for the water and the depth has never been determined. Theory is a crater formed it, I think.
Across the road from the inn and looking toward the ferry, on the side we came from.
The Inn has another, newer restaurant across the street.
They also rent lots of little cabins during the tourist season.
Then it was up to the Cider Company, where Dad and I go every time he's here. LOL.
They've added the chairs.
After that, went to a new-to-us winery, the Devil's Wishbone. It was built in an old dairy barn. I loved the old barn, it harkened back to childhood days and really made me long for simpler living, away from an urban environment.
I'd never seen swan gourds before! Aren't they cool?
They had a number of old Ontario license plates. This was the oldest.
Heading back on the ferry. 'Bye, lovely house! (My favourite home, it used to be painted an orange sherbet colour.)
And guess what? We got stuck again at the same construction site! Only for a few minutes, though.
So that was our day in the County. I got left behind in a couple of shops--I had just settled in to browse and off Hélène went, with Dad following. She's zoom, zoom, zoom, no poking around or taking one's time!
That's also the end of the family visit pics, since it was such a short stay for them.
I have pics from my day trip on Thursday, to visit friends in Trenton, and then that's it. However, it's our Thanksgiving weekend, and while today I'm heading off to see if there are any good bargains at Value Village, I hope to get to the Cemetery for a walk either tomorrow or Monday.
Take care everyone.
Peace.
Comments
Wonderful photos of the day in the County.If you stopped every time to take a photo of something beautiful you would never get to where you are going especially in the County. It is so lovely down there.
Next time you visit us we will have a long snoop in the shops!
Hope you find some bargains at Value Village.
Talk soon.
Oh my gosh, all these pictures are wonderful! It's so beautiful there!! I am wondering if this is Prince Edward Island. I remember reading about it in Anne of Green Gables and I've always wanted to go there even though I know that was a long time ago.
I love to poke in shops!
I would love to have a long snoop in the shops!
No, not PEI, a different province. I think every part of the country has its beauty. :-)
LOVE that yellow house.......it is gorgeous!!!
xoxo
Love the photos. The trip looked fun.
It's strange but I had just been wondering about that child grave you photographed in the past. I still light candles for Abby & Grace and I wonder if my Grief will remain like the Mom or Dad of this child. The story behind that would be nice to know.
Looks like you had a wonderful visit with your Dad and Helene. It's unfortunate she needs to be on the move all the time....slowing down and enjoying the moment is so much nicer.
Have a Happy Thanksgiving!
Happy birthday to Nicki! We hope it was a day filled with happiness and light. And snacks. Definitely snacks.
Happy Thanksgiving! We are thankful for YOU, dear friends.
Great pictures. It looks like you had a nice visit.
Did you ever try to get the story behind some of those graves? You probably could. Keep us posted.
As usual, I envy you your countryside. It looks like you had a wonderful time with your dad and Helene. What a great trip.
Great photos. Looks like you had a beautiful outing.