Question #2 of 50 Questions to Foster Gratitude

The next question from the TinyBuddha article (http://tinybuddha.com/blog/50-questions-to-foster-gratitude-and-feel-good-about-life/) is:

2. Who is always there for you, and how do you feel about them?

I guess I would have multiple answers for this.

My cats, in their cat way, including my angels Chumley and Annie. They've seen me through a lot, even though we don't experience the world the same way. I love them dearly, I'm emotionally dependent on them, they're the source of my greatest stress and expense, but also my best daily companions. That they're my only daily (non-work) companions is irrelevant.

My oldest/dearest friend in New Brunswick. I was 18, I believe, when we met at college. That's a long time ago, and a lot of water under the bridge. She's always been an "ear" and "shoulder", a voice of compassion and reason. I love her dearly as well, and am grateful for her presence in my life.

My mom. I know she'll always be there for me, no matter what, unconditionally. Maybe that's a mother thing. I love her dearly too, though I don't think we could stand to live with each other--even if she didn't smoke heavily! The mother-daughter relationship can be challenging sometimes, though, as any family dynamic can be.

My dad. I think. In his own way. LOL. I do have a good relationship with him now, but it's also been challenging and sometimes still is -- that whole family dynamic thing again.

How about you? Who is always there for you? Are your feelings mixed? Or are they whole-heartedly one way or the other?

Peace.

A couple of snapshots from last weekend.
 
 

Comments

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said…
Both my parents are there for me, and no matter what happens they will stand by me. My greatest comfort is my kitties too. Abby will always be the one who truly was my comfort cat, she knew what tears were and pain and sorrow and she knew how to offer comfort. I miss that terribly. My current crop of kitties are all a good source of loving companions. My closest friend is a life long childhood friend. We share all of our histories with one another.
Cat Lover said…
My number one person who is always there for me is Chuck. He is the one of the people I can without a doubt say I love spending time with. As you know Kim I met Chuck when I was 17,he was 21 so we matured shall we say, together. He gets me and let's me be who I want to be. My Mum is always there for me too. I love spending time with her but it is more difficult now as health issues are plaguing her. I know my sister would drop everything to help me as I would for her. I do miss having a kitty for comfort. Maybe someday! Our friend Ernie is a great friend too. At our last house just about two years ago we had a bad wind storm. Our back fence blew down. I propped it up with some 2x4's. Ernie stopped by on his way home from work, took one look at the fence and said I will be here at 7:00a.m tomorrow. He spent a whole Saturday helping Chuck fix the fence. True friend.
John Bellen said…
That's a tough one. I've learned that there is no one human on whom I can count unconditionally. I can count on different friends for different things, but no one person for anything that may come up. Perhaps that's why I have cats.
Kea said…
Ah, I cannot disagree there. Even with the best of intentions and sincerity, we humans can and will fail others. Just as we fail them in turn from time to time.
Kea said…
I think it's very rare to grow together as you and Chuck have done, Robin. Most people I know are on their second or third marriage or live-in relationship, or seem unhappy together--staying for reasons of finances, children, etc. It's so wonderful that you have all these people in your life you can trust and rely upon...and they upon you!
Kea said…
I think I'll feel very bereft when my parents pass, assuming I outlive them. I'm glad you have yours, Debra! And a life-long friend too!
Oh boy, this is a loaded question today that's for sure! I have a handful of friends that I am blessed to have that are always there for me......of course Cody Dakota would have to be first, yes, even before my husband lol!
vic said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
vic said…
Well, my husband of course first and foremost. But often I hesitate to burden him with my worries and concerns since he does so many, many things for me when asked or just because it's something that needs to be done and I shouldn't have to do it.

My sister (ten years my senior) is my next person that I can always rely on. Sometimes a problem is a woman thing and she fills the bill when that a type of question or problem surfaces. She lives 13 hours away but always says, "If you need me I can get there in just a day." which is nice to know whether the need ever arises or not She's the eternal optimist and I am definitely a pessimist so we balance one another out nicely.
Kea said…
Yeah, I understand putting non-humans before humans, Caren. Our relationships with them are pure, not burdened with all the baggage we carry with human-to-human relationships.We also don't expect the same things from them as we do from other humans.
Kea said…
There's no "of course" about your husband, because a lot of people have spouses they *can't* rely upon or even trust. So if you have a husband who IS always there for you, you're lucky, I think. Ditto for having a sister (or any close sibling). I feel the burden of being an only child much more now, as I've gotten older, than I did when I was young. Once my parents pass, if I outlive them, I will have no one, no family, to rely upon at all. I think of that quite often.
Annie Bear said…
I enjoyed reading these comments almost as much as reading the comments to your last gratitude post (that one seemed a bit cheerier). I can say my husband for sure and also my parents. My dad is 81 and my mom 77, and although they're in great health, they're not getting any younger, which is a little scary
meowmeowmans said…
I know I am SO blessed to be able to say that is my wife, Tracey. I know she is always with me, every step of the way. And I hear you about the cats, Kim. Our cats, and yes, our angel kitties, have helped me through so, so much.
Saku said…
Good question, but easier for me to answer than the last one. My friend Cathy at work - she's been my mentor and friend for almost 18 years. My younger brother - I talk to him almost daily. My son who still lives with me. And like you, my cats.

And then there are those of you out in the blogging world. We may not have met face to face but when I find a comment to a post, or get an e-mail response to one I've made it truly makes my day.
The Cat Guy said…
By far my wife qualifies as my life companion and best friend. A\mazing woman she is. Also a handful of amazing friends who know how to navigate the complexities of the human heart with amazing tenderness and compassion. These people keep me afloat. The kitties sure help too and at one point in my life they (or past dogs) would have come first on the list. Grateful to have some amazing humans who i can fully trust. yah!
The Cat Guy said…
I was thinking in terms of flesh and blood, but I should add that God is very real for me and before anyone or any kitty, I can count on him loving me unconditionally, and for that I'm immensely grateful.
Poppy Q said…
I am lucky to have a great dad and brother - although both have their own interests I know they are always there when I need them. Along with an awesome sister in law and now almost grown up niece and nephew. We are a small family but close.

I have a couple of besties - three girlfriends who have known me for decades and who we share a lot of our lives. And another good friend and her partner who have been there in difficult times and always make time for me.

Miss Pops though shares all my secrets and is my most constant companion.

Julie Q
Kea said…
I love all the comments! Thanks for contributing--I'm glad you still have both parents. Definitely not something to be taken for granted. Ditto your husband!
Kea said…
Because no one in my family had good marriages, I marvel that there are people who truly do, not just appear to for the sake of the public. It's wonderful! I have trouble believing people can stay together and be happy with each other (lol), but it's wonderful!
Kea said…
Yes, I ought to have included the bloggers who post or email, that makes my day too!
Kea said…
It sounds like you have some truly wonderful people in your life! And I know you have a strong faith...I envy that very much in some ways.
Kea said…
I'm glad you have a close circle of both family and friends, Julie. That can make a huge difference in life! Thanks for stopping by!
BeadedTail said…
Of course my furbabies have always been there for me but also my husband. We've been together 32 years as of last week so we've been through a lot together including my parents' divorce. Once they each remarried their lives changed to be more for their new spouses and their families instead of me. At first it hurt me but I've come to deal with it.