Well, I can't answer question #3
http://tinybuddha.com/blog/50-questions-to-foster-gratitude-and-feel-good-about-life/
3. Who has helped you become the person you are today, and what’s the top thing you’d thank them for?
I find I'm very resistant to this question. The things that come to mind are almost entirely negative, and that defeats the purpose of the question. I do think almost everyone with whom we come in contact can impact us in various ways and "help" us become the people we are today, both in good and not-so-good ways.
- I got my manners from Mom and from the church ladies I grew up around!
- Chumley taught me to be a better cat mom, though he paid the price for my ignorance. All my cats have taught me a life of
servitudeservice and to put others before myself (which isn't always a good thing to do). - My co-worker (the one whose mom just died) has taught me to be less judgmental and more open in some ways.
- Depression, my biggest "instructor," has taught me compassion and understanding.
I'm sure there are other people/things, but I'm drawing a blank at the moment. Probably because I don't want to dwell on the question.
What about you? Is this a difficult question for you to answer? Does it push any buttons or can you easily answer this with love and joy?
Peace.
I like this quote. I sent it to Mom today, because she really needs to take some deep breaths and just focus on what she can do at the moment. (((Hugs))), Mom.

Comments
My dad instilled in me the thinking that we are put on this earth to help others any way we can.
My love of all things antique comes mostly from my Mum.
My Oma taught me to appreciate all the work that goes into making a house a home. She loved being an at home wife and so do I.
My Opa's life was full of hard work and I think he instilled in all of his grandchildren that to get anywhere in life requires plenty of hard work.
Chuck is the worrier in this family and if I had a dollar for every time I said "Don't worry, everything will work out" I would have a tidy stash of money! Love the quote!
It makes me smile that Chuck is the worrier, because usually it's the woman (in my experience) who worries and frets, and the man who lets it all roll off his back. Obviously a generalization!
And definitely, our four-legged companions have MUCH to teach us!
Just for giggles, I might try to compile a list, but I would guess it would be in the hundreds, as random people have had huge impact not to mention all the amazingly meaningful relationships - the random dude who cut my hair back in February shared his passion for horses, which planted a seed that led to an amazing life changing experience. And then of course there are all the people associated with that experience that each blessed me in incredible ways... As I think about it, most of the experiences happen because I work hard at being present to the moment and see each relationship, whether large or small has the power to impact someone's life in ways we can't even fathom.
Sometime in the early 2000's I was taking the train from New Jersey to Southern Vermont. There were people at the train station that I interacted with, people at a tiny lunch counter in the city, even, a lady on the train that I struck up a conversation with - each of these people gave me bits of meaningful interaction that have helped me grow more fully into life.
Last week I had lunch with an old co-worker, he caught me up on the happenings of his family, and then it was my turn to fill him in. I told him about the challenges that are stirring within me as I wrestle with the reality of losing a dear friend to cancer and how I can't imagine how my friend's husband and young son will cope with losing their wife and mother. Then I remembered that this man lost his first wife to cancer when they still had two small children. Hearing the happenings of his kids and now grandkids reminded me that as painful as the impending death of my friend is, loved ones will grieve and life will continue, just as it has for my former co-worker, his kids, and others. I left that conversation feeling less anxiety, more peace. My friend has given me a gift. All these gifts add up.
Gosh, even the people in the elevator on the way out of work today, a bunch of random strangers, but the laughter and playfulness of the group lightened my soul after an intense heavy day of work. Ok, so, as I think about it, I think my list would be in the thousands. It's sad to think of people who I would want on the list but wouldn't be (a lot of family) or people who would be on the list because how they helped me see how I don't want to be in life (again a lot of family, former work supervisor, etc).