Nicki survived his trip to the dreaded vet

I had to take Nicki in today for his anal glands. I had them take a blood sample for his T4 (not checked for a year), but didn't do the ionized calcium test for possible hypercalcemia. (He wasn't fasting, which is necessary.). I also had his weight rechecked, as he had been down slightly (about half a pound) in August, and it was that weight loss, coupled with the at-top-normal calcium level that put me into a such a state of worry and fuss.

Well, his weight is back up again, to 5.8 kg (12.76 pounds), so I guess I can stop stuffing his face with as much canned food as he wants.  :-D

Anyway, he survived, though he made his unhappiness known VERY, VERY loudly and nastily when the anal glands were being done. Half of me wanted to cry for him, the other half wanted to crawl into a hole out of embarrassment. LOL.

Now he's alternately chowing down on his favourite Weruva and cleaning off the vet stink. I'll get the T4 results next week, and hope that will be normal (no reason to suspect otherwise). I also hope that's it for another three months!

Nicki says he trusts your afternoon hasn't involved squeezing anything painful on or in your body!

Peace.

Comments

Cat Lover said…
Oh poor Nicki! I can only imagine what that feels like!
Glad his weight is back up. He looks great in the photo.
Take care and have a great evening.
Kea said…
I don't want to imagine. LOL. I asked the tech and vet, when they brought him out, if he had drawn blood. Nope, but it sure sounded like kitty rage back there!

BTW, at one point (probably after the blood sample) he managed to escape and ran into the lobby area, in between their file shelving units behind the counter. The tech had to rush out and collar him. LOL.
Cat Lover said…
Oh goodness, what a day both of you have had.
I remember one time at the vet with our first cat Linus. He wasn't felling well at all and normally he was a lovable gentle kitty but not that day. The vet tech ended up wearing gloves and a leather apron to handle him. I think it is all the awful smells in the vet too. Give Nicki and Derry a snuggle for me ,would you Kim?
ZOOLATRY said…
Ignore the human in the house for at least the next week, Nicki ... she'll think twice about putting you through that again!
Kea said…
Never mind Nicki ignoring me...I'm not getting too close to him right now! :-D

P.S. How I wish, on so many levels, that he didn't need to go every 3 months!
Annie Bear said…
Oh, you poor thing, Nicki! Pierrot has had that particular procedure done twice now and he doesn't like it either (who would?!). I'm glad to hear his weight is up and seems to be healthy overall. Now, the human must grovel to get back in his good graces. Treats always work. :)
Kea said…
Nicki's been going for years, unfortunately.

He'll get his treats after I do the Flovent...Are the asthma meds insult to injury today? :-)
Angel Simba said…
Nicki, the INDIGNITY! I had to go the other day to have mats removed and it was really much more of an ordeal than expected - a heavy sedative so I came home staggering and eyes dilated etc. The humans are "ok" now, but it took a couple of days before I would even be on the same level of the house as those traitors!
Annie Bear said…
Yes, but now he needs treats for the vet squeezing AND the asthma meds. :)
Hugs to Nicki!
Kea said…
Oh, Simba, you have all our sympathies! No amount of treats could make up for that, but we hope your humans gave it a darned good try!

Purrs from the boys!
Poor Nicki!!! Ohhhh Cody knows how that expressing goes, but thankfully he only had that once. Last winter as you know, Cody at first tested high (when he became ill) on the calcium, then they ran a more thorough (and much more expensive test) and it was normal. When he was sick and had those numbers it turned out to be his food :(
meowmeowmans said…
Poor Nicki! That CAN'T be pleasant.

I'm glad to know he survived the ordeal, and that his weight is back to normal. Big hugs to you all, and purrs that Nicki's T4 numbers come back "good."
The Island Cats said…
Nicki, we know how you feel...we don't like going to the vet either. Aren'tcha glad that's over with?? Purrs that your test results come back good.
ANGEL ABBYGRACE said…
Nicki we know hoe horrid that ordeal was. Glad it is all over and that your weight is back up! All good signs.
Kea said…
It's good it was only Cody's food, Caren -- that was easily fixed. Though the suggestion is that in cats who tend toward high calcium, all the acidifiers in cat food are leading to this. Trouble is, you can't find a commercial cat food WITHOUT an acidifier of some sort.
Kea said…
Oh, he still was at a good weight after the half-pound loss, I was just thinking he might be ill. Glad to know he's fine...I hope! :-)
Kea said…
Thanks! We might try the one for hypercalcemia in February, when he goes back again for the glands. "Might" being the operative word. Or I might try not to fuss so much. LOL.
Kea said…
Thanks, I think it's a good sign too. And yeah, Nicki's glad it's over with for another 3 months! :-)
Poor Nicki! We cannot imagine how much that has to HURT! Poor little mancat.
BeadedTail said…
Poor Nicki! We're sending purrs that everything checks out okay and that you don't have to go back for a very long time!
John Bellen said…
Good news for Nicki! You must feel relieved. He must, too, in a different way, but even so, I certainly sympathise with him. He can't know that it's all for his good. I wish we could explain it to them.
The Cat Guy said…
I'm grateful to not have had to deal with the anal gland thing yet. (Knock on wood) I hope his T4 is stable.