What does "dressing up" mean to you?

The celebration of life service for my coworker's mom is this afternoon, out of town. A few of us from our original group are going, and I'm getting a lift with one of them. I don't have a suit or any "dressy" clothes, am just wearing my usual outfit of black slacks and a sweater. 

But I just laughed to myself, thinking that these days "dressing up" for me means putting on a bra! So I guess I will "dress up" for the occasion!

How about you? What does "dressing up" mean for you? Once upon a time it used to mean suits and (low) heels, pantyhose, matching accessories, etc. Now I figure if my clothes are clean and colour-coordinated, and yeah, I'm sporting a bra for the sake of decency, I'm good. 

Peace.

Comments

wildcatwoods said…
I had to dress up for work in the art gallery so it did "dress up" but now it just means putting on clothes and not wearing sweats! Thank you for the kind words for Minnie and for coming to our Gotcha day party.
Cat Lover said…
Hi Kim. Not working outside our home, I tend to dress for everyday in jeans and tshirt, blouse or sweater depending on the season. So when I have to dress up I guess I still go the traditional route and wear a dress or skirt and blouse.
Take care and talk soon.
Saku said…
I dress "up" for work everyday, though it's been years since I've worn a skirt or dress. My everyday work clothes are dress pants, a blouse or pretty sleeveless top (damned hot flashes) and a blazer. Even on casual day, I only switch out the dress pants for a dark pair of jeans.

When we cruise I definitely dress up in the evening, usually in a long skirt or palazzo pants, with a dressy top and sweater or pashmina, a pair of low heels and jewelry. No hose though as it generally hot and I hate nylons and pantyhose!

Since my son has been living with me I haven't gone bra-less a lot, but when neither of my kids were living at home I hardly ever wore one.

Have a good weekend.
Annie Bear said…
I love that comic, LOL! I've mainly worked from home for the last several years and haven't even wore a skirt or dress in a very long time. I have some nicer clothes still, all zipped up in covers in the back of the closet. I had an occasion a few weeks ago where I had to dress up and it took me a long time to find something that looked decent and contemporary. I wear jeans everywhere. Even when I do go in the office, it's casual so I wear either jeans or black pants. I just wear a nicer top than I do on the weekends or at home.
I don't even own a dress or skirt, so for me it's black slacks and a nice blouse. I live in t-shirts, sweatshirts and jeans.

Peggy
ZOOLATRY said…
College roomie and me, on our way for an afternoon in Central Park (NYC) ... pausing at Rock Center ... stranger shoots a photo of us with my "brownie" (black and white, of course) ... we are both wearing: hose, heels, little suits, hats and white gloves!
IMAGINE! Can you even picture a college student in that today? Of course, I am surely giving away my age here ...
Rian said…
I found your post interesting, Kim, as I didn't realize that many other women don't wear dresses anymore. I haven't worn a dress in... I don't know how long. Mostly I wear jeans and t-shirts.... occasionally a nice blouse if we're going out to eat. But my original thought when you asked what dressing up meant to me was... *not wearing my Reeboks*.
Depends on the occasion. I still enjoy dressing up when I feel like it, but I refuse to where pantyhose ever again, people can just deal with my bare legs.
John Bellen said…
Dressing up to me still means a shirt and tie. I think the last time I dressed up was for a funeral. I think I do it as a sign of respect.
meowmeowmans said…
I suppose I "dress up" every day for work. I'm actually wearing a coat and tie right now, on the train back from an overnight business trip. Left to my own devices, however, I'd much rather wear shorts, a shirt, and no shoes. ;)