The upshot of it all
I'm writing this on Thursday, but scheduling for early Friday morning, because no one needs a second post in one day.
The repair company guy, J., came out to take a look at both my window and the sub-floor.
The upshot:
Yes, the entire window will be replaced, he said all three panes are gone, not just the one. It'll be a month or so, as I've said here already.
With regard to the water-stained sub-floor: He said that after Sunday's rain (and it was absolutely torrential, off and on all day) there's no way the floor would be completely dry (as it is) if it were a current leak. He thinks it's old damage and while we were talking I did recall that the original window had been replaced 13 - 14 years ago with this one, because of water leakage. I remember the then-property manager (who lived next door to me) coming up to take a look, because I was having a problem with the drywall right under the window. And I do remember that at the time the window was replaced (poorly), I had drywall under the window cut out and replaced too. I had completely forgotten that part, it was so long ago.
J. also said if it were his house he'd go ahead with the new carpet, that the wood is only stained, not rotted, and doesn't need replacing. (The window sub-contractor echoed that.) He said of course it was up to me, but given his level of expertise (more on that in a sec), I'm going to trust his judgment and proceed.
As for this man's expertise: He mentioned something regarding water damage and I told him yes, I knew that because I watch a lot of HGTV (thinking Holmes Inspection and Holmes on Homes in particular). It turns out that HGTV contacted J. to do an episode of Castle Hunters last year (which I've never seen), because of his expertise in the field of restoration of old (very old!) homes. He downplayed it, but said it was on YouTube. I watched it a bit earlier and all I could think was OMG, this man (who with his wife was in France, pretending to hunt for a castle), was standing in my little sh*t box townhouse in sock feet! Cripes, his socks probably run more than half my monthly income. It just boggled my mind! (And also made me wonder if any of those House Hunter programs is real!)
He also asked if I run a humidifier and so I confessed I'd had that whole-house one installed in the fall, but that it was sitting at 30%. He told me to shut it off and explained why, etc. He's also written government documents on indoor air quality.
Okay, so I shut it off! I don't quite believe him on this one, but I'm willing to see if keeping it off for a while helps. We've been having a damp winter anyway this year.
So barring unforeseen circumstances, all systems will be a go for the carpet next week, and the window should be replaced in the latter part of February or perhaps early March.
I admit I've had enough of house issues and repair for the moment!
Peace.
Comments
I have to tell you that I watch Holmes on Homes (and I adore him - even though he is blond (blondes get dirty faster))
They freak over mould in that us Kiwis just wipe clean with bleach... sigh
Yeah, I never was into blondes. Except for Rupert Penry Jones (British actor). Ha!
Take care!
However -- if I hadn't had it turned up too high for the past couple of months, I never would have had anyone come in to check the window, let alone replace it.
So it's all good!
BTW I have bragging rights in that Rupert Penry-Jones' (who I agree is a dish!) mother has a home near here and I have seen her around - not him, though, sadly!! She is an actress called Angela Thorne and has been in many TV series over the years! Brag over MOL xx
I am in agreement with you about blondes!
Take care.
I hope you've been able to talk to your mum by now!
I think things are going well right now, and repairs seem to be progressing faster and better than you may have feared. Onwards and upwards!
So I'm glad you know that everything is going to sort itself out!
And yes, I wondered since he's apparently so renowned in the area of restoration, what the heck is he doing living in our little backwater city? Sure he's the owner or co-owner, and sure it's a big company, but even so.
As for your neighbours (or anyone else): I've learned that people can truly be sincere and well-intentioned, but that you can't rely upon them to help -- other things will come up in their lives. Heck, you can't even rely upon tradespeople in general, unless you find the good ones!
So glad the floor was dry and you seem tohave gotten good advice. New carpet will be yummy, we are sure!
Purrs to the boys too.
Now, were I a city bus driver, I've have an exciting day on a regular basis! (Previous post)
Nice to see you back!
Sounds like you are making good choices about the repairs. Weird the window didn't last that long and needs replacing again.
sounds like your home repairs are in good hands.