We dodged the winter bullet

Thank goodness we dodged this latest winter bullet. We got only a bit of freezing rain, or maybe ice pellets, then a dusting of snow, no real accumulation at all. Not even worth scraping the driveway for, as far as I'm concerned. (My driveway faces south anyway, so the sun will melt whatever is there quickly enough.)

Both boys outside yesterday after work,
then Derry perched on a bit of bare stone.
The contracting company called me this morning to tell me that the window installer's gall bladder surgery has been put off until April and that the window can be installed this week. So I've okayed Friday as a vacation day and it will be done that morning. I have an early morning appointment on Saturday, so it couldn't be that day.

I'll be glad to have it done, and it's the last window replacement needed for the unit.

Also, my upper hall laminate will be installed on Saturday the 12th and I'm quite excited about it. Things are moving along! Dad and his brother will be making a quick visit in June (my uncle will be flying to Montreal from his home in Italy to visit his son and family, and Dad will be flying out to spend time with his brother, with both coming here for just a day or two to see me) and I'd like to get as much done before then as possible. It'll be a treat to have something finished in the house, for a change. (Dad is intending to come here for a week in the fall as well, which will be great, I missed that time with him last year, as he and his wife came for only a few days.)

The other reason for getting this done as quickly as possible is that my trim people (gracious and kind friends who offered to help) will be moving away this spring. That's certainly giving me a big prod to get as much accomplished as possible, while the offer to help still stands. LOL.

So that's the status update regarding the house.

My girlfriend is working through her grief at losing her beloved heart horse, Exile, and trying to adjust to a new daily routine. Thank you all for your prayers and good thoughts.

Sadly, my co-worker, who just lost her second heart dog a couple of weeks ago, has had to let another dog go this morning. Jesse was 12, with a severe heart murmur and other issues, and was suffering greatly. She (Jesse) actually was my co-worker's husband's dog, I believe. My co-worker said that when her mom died last October they still had four dogs (originally eight or nine dogs and two cats), now they have only one. So much death for her in such a short time. Crazy, messy life.

Anyway, to end on a more positive note, here's an image from FB that I'd saved, for inspiration:
Peace.

Comments

Cat Lover said…
Hi Kim, I should check your blog before I email you! Disregard the email.
That's great your window is coming shortly. I think the weather is supposed to be decent then.
Also wonderful you will see your Dad twice this year.
I thought about Jennifer on Monday. So sad.
How heart breaking for your co-worker (Sarah?). She must be a very strong lady.
Take care and have a good evening.
Kea said…
Yes, very hard for my coworker, all those losses. Can't escape it, though, none of us can.

I'm delighted to be able to see Dad twice in one year,and I don't take it for granted. We're none of us young anymore, and Dad is 76 now, will be 77 in October. I'm aware that the number of years ahead to spend time together is dwindling.

I have my fingers crossed regarding the window! :-)

Take care and have a great evening.
Saku said…
Happy to hear you managed to miss the winter weather. I bet Nicki and Derry are happy too! We're forecast for +10C this weekend so hopefully we can send it your way the next week.

Your home is going to be truly lovely. It's so good you're doing the work now so you can enjoy it. So many people wait until they are planning to move (like I did with the old house) and someone else reaps the benefits.

Sorry to hear about your friend and co-worker's losses.
meowmeowmans said…
Thank goodness you missed that latest winter blast. Spring is coming (and hopefully soon)!

It's so exciting that everything is coming together in your house. It will be nice to show your dad and uncle the progress when they visit.

We are purring and praying for your friend, and for your co-worker. How heartbreaking, all the loss they are dealing with right now.
Kea said…
Yes, please send the warmer temps, we're so ready for them! Bitterly cold this morning, but at least the sun is shining, and today is supposedly the last crazy cold day for the foreseeable future. Plus 7C next week if we're lucky!

Frankly, if I could do all the renos and sell the place this year I would, and not look back.
Kea said…
Thanks for the purrs and purrayers, they ARE appreciated by my friend and co-worker.

Yes, I'm looking forward to Dad, especially, seeing some changes. Nothing major, but things slowly getting done properly (for a change).
ANGEL ABBYGRACE said…
Good news on less winter and also good news about your Dad & Uncle visiting you. Yes, the years are fewer for our aging parents, but I hope you still have quite a few more on the horizon with your Dad.
I know you will be glad to get one more thing ticked off your to-do list on the homefront. Glad you will get that window replacement done and over with, and I know you'll enjoy the new flooring.
John Bellen said…
The trouble with having so many loved ones - family or pets - is that there are more loved ones to lose. Three of my cats are ten to twelve years old, the fourth is eight. I expect to be hit hard some day. It's terrible for your co-worker to lose so many so quickly. I hope your friend feels better soon; I know it's pointless to say 'heals' because no one heals completely from such a loss.
John Bellen said…
And I had a chuckle over Derry on his bit of snowless stone. He could be in the ballet with that balance.