No one will ever read my blog for my DIY ability

I had seen pics online of an easy and inexpensive way to perk up old bookcases (the Target or Ikea kind) with some fabric, poster board and double-sided tape, so today I made it my mission to find material on sale for my own two Target bookcases. (I'm not committed to keeping them, I'm waiting to see how I'll arrange the living space once the sofa gets here.)

New fabric = a spot for a tussle!
 
 
 
 
 
All I did was measure, cut and tape the poster board to fit the back of the two bookcases, then use double-sided tape to attach the fabric to the poster board and then more tape to attach the poster board to the existing back of the bookcase.

You don't want to look too closely, though, as it's not a perfect fit, and in fact the second one is every so slightly too long for the back, so is bunched up a bit. Way to go, Kim. LOL. That's okay, by using the poster boards, I can just just pull them off and have the original backings again.
 
The fabric was $42 per meter (outrageous, IMO), on sale for $15 per meter. I bought two meters and had enough to cover four pieces of craft board for a little overhead cupboard in my "kitchen." (Two on each side, to replace the old yellowed plain craft board I had put up 16 years ago...as a temporary measure.)
If I knew what I was doing, I'd have paid attention to to the placement of the pattern. Oops. Ultimately I want to get rid of that cupboard, though, because it's dangerous (easy to hit your head on the corner of it), so this will do for now. At least it's better than what was there before. Just don't look inside. LOL.

BTW, I had the brilliant idea today of simply replacing my bathroom vanity doors with more modern ones, rather than replacing the entire vanity. With that in mind, I went into Home Depot and determined that two white doors, with a contemporary square inset design, will cost $100 taxes in. Very doable! Rather than trust my measurements, I'll take off one of the vanity doors and take it into Home Depot, so THEY can measure it. If they screw up, it's their responsibility.

I'm also thinking that I'll be able to get away with doing the same thing for my upper kitchen cabinets. The lower cabinets pose more of a problem, specifically the drawers. But I certainly could save some money by just getting upper doors in a modern design. That's for down the road, though.

So that was the day: five hours of errands and four hours of DIYing (who knew it would take so long), plus some of the usual weekend chores. Lots of pics of the boys too, both inside and outside.
 
Tomorrow I'd like to start on painting the baseboards, but I do have a morning errand to run, and might decide to take the vanity door to Home Depot. If I don't do that tomorrow, I'll do it next weekend, as I have to be out that way anyway, for a hair appointment.

The excitement never ends!  :-D

Peace.

Comments

Cat Lover said…
Kim, I love your choice of fabric. It looks very pretty. The bookcases and cupboards look great.
Very adorable photos of the boys tussling on the fabric.
It was such a lovely day yesterday. Glad the boys enjoyed the sunshine.
Good luck today if you start painting the trim. Did you purchase the paint guards at Home Depot? If not let me know and we will pick some up and bring them in two weeks.
Have a good day!
Everything looks great and what great ideas! Glad the boys approve of the fabric you chose. What cute little clowns they are!
ANGEL ABBYGRACE said…
I think that was a great idea you found to DIY. The bookcases and cabinets look great and I'm sure it's an update fresh look. The first time we do anything we learn from our mistakes so if you do this again you'll know best how to attack it! The boys are so cute playing!!!
Rian said…
Kim, I think you're on a DIY binge! Enjoy! And it's so great to see the boys outside in sunshine. I'm guessing the snow is gone for a while, yes?
BeadedTail said…
Clever way to dress up the bookcase and cabinet! It turned out very nice!
Kea said…
I got paint guards, thanks. Did the bathroom today, but used painter's tape and the guards, both. I'm a very messy painter! :-D
Kea said…
Trying those ideas...I wouldn't say the results look "great." But hey, it was a first time at that for me. :-D
Kea said…
Yes, that's my thought: If I do something like this again I'll know what to do and do it better!
Kea said…
Not quite a DIY binge, but there's so much to do, and the budget is very limited.

Yes, happily the snow has been gone for a while! It's cold again this weekend and into the week, i.e. low 40s. I'll take that over freezing temps, though!
Kea said…
Thanks. Not quite as nice in person. LOL. But with practice I could improve. If I wanted to do it again. Big if. :-D
Anonymous said…
I really like this idea! I think you did a nice job, too. The boys little wrestling match was adorable. George would right at home there! Hugs!
It looks great to me. I really love the fabric you found.
John Bellen said…
It's a good idea, and well executed, despite what you think. Not my choice of pattern, but then, I would have selected something much more manly, like explosions - or leaves, whichever - but I think it works. I also think that everyone who does it themselves, including me, 'bunches it up' a bit. Only mastercraftsmen don't do that, and for them to DIY is cheating.

By the way, are businesses never worried that running something on sale at two thirds off shows how little they really need to charge for a product?
meowmeowmans said…
I love the spirit in which you are tackling all of these DIY projects, Kim! The bookshelf project is really cool, and how nice of the boys to give their blessing to it with a nice tussle. :)

Hugs!
Kea said…
George definitely would fit right in the with the boys, but I shudder to think what he and Nicki would get into. LOL.
Kea said…
I would prefer more colourful fabric, but I needed something neutral in keeping with the rest of the house right now. I liked it the best of what I saw, though there was a plain, "textured" one that could have worked too.
Kea said…
I'd have liked leaves! There were a lot of wild and colourful patterns, many of which I did like but which wouldn't have suited in the space.

I double-checked my receipt; yes, that fabric originally sold for $42 per meter! :-O
Kea said…
Oh, yes, the boys gave their "blessing" all right. LOL.

Well, I might as well try my hand at a few things, until I decide what I want to do, decor-wise, longer term.

I find it a challenge trying to decide how much and what to do in the short to medium term, given that I want to move. Do I invest in items I want now or do I wait till I'm in my new home? What if that new home is longer down the road than I hope? The balancing act is difficult!

First World issues! :-)
doodz.....total lee grate actshunz shots two day...awesum wrasslin match that ended.......just...that....fast.... { fotoz 6 } ☺☺☺

we think yur mom did an awesum job...de food gurl heer buyed sum build yur own bookcasez and had em done & yada.... N stood em up ta put next two de wall....her putted de back on WRONG....waz sposed ta be faux wood finish on de ...INN SIDE...now....we look at card bored color all day; inn sted oh nice...fake wood ♥♥♥ !!!!!!