Oh yeah, it's been "fun"

Let's see...

Friday evening we lost power (and for me, cable, phone and internet as well) around 7:30 PM or so. On the hottest day of the summer, with a humidex of 41C (106 F). So I scrambled around trying to find batteries for one my radios; nada. Then I dug out my cell phone and called out-of-town friends, asked if they could go to our city's utilities web site for info. Turned out that there had been a fire at a west end sub-station, and it caused a wide-spread outage (or at least disruption).

The plus: My power was out for less than 90 minutes, it came on just a few minutes before 9 PM. 

Saturday and Sunday I did as little as possible, and took a variety of over-the-counter pain meds for the massive heat-induced headache. Mmm, fun. The plus was that I didn't have much running around to do!

The other plus: I wasn't one of the poor souls working at Walmart first thing Saturday morning. 

When I got there around 8 AM, almost every cooler/shelf was empty. I thought, surely there couldn't have been a massive sale, but then the light dawned: The power outage the previous evening. I asked someone and yes, they'd had to take everything perishable out of the coolers during the power failure, put all the grocery items in their (presumably enormous and on a generator) freezer. Then the poor staff on Saturday's early shift had to put it all out again. 

Today we all spent the day with no a/c in the building. 29 C average temp indoors. Oh yeah, that was fun. I gave a few co-workers some plastic baggies and we raided the ice cube trays in the kitchen freezer, for ice packs for our necks, faces, etc.

As I've mentioned before, every super-hot day the physical plant shuts off a/c in the afternoon to most of the buildings on campus, to conserve energy. They had done that on Friday, of course, at 2 PM. (Remember the humidex was 41 C that day.) Then the power outage caused some sort of problem, so the a/c didn't kick back on again. By the time the physical plant guys got it working and at least our floor kitchen was down to 23 C (perfect), and our office suite was about 27 - 28 C, it was almost 3 PM...just when PPS was shutting off the a/c across campus to save power. Again.

Yep.

Then (yes, there's a then ), our internet and network went down. At 3:10 I called it quits for the day and went home.

The plus? I don't work for PPS or ITServices! Because surely they were having a more challenging day than the rest of us.  

Now, has this been a good time or what?  :-D

Peace.

 
Nicki flaked out with the heat, at supper-time today.
Previous two pics snapped on the way home.

Comments

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said…
I don't quite understand conserving energy for what purpose in a working office? I mean you could suffer heat stroke. It's like local or national government thinks they have to be nannies. I just don't get it there are plenty of resources to provide energy. Just don't get it.
meowmeowmans said…
Yikes. That's quite the seriously hot and unpleasant series of events. I agree ... the turning off of the AC in your office is really strange.
Cat Lover said…
Crazy,crazy Kim! What is the point of making workers bake in the heat? How can you be productive if you are feeling sick???
Love the photos of the hollyhocks(?). Nicki too.
Hope it is cooler today for you.
Kea said…
I don't get it either. At the very least it makes me sleepy, definitely unproductive. I wonder what the cost of THAT (unproductive employees because of heat) would be versus the "savings" on a/c!
Kea said…
A lot of things around here are strange. :-D
Kea said…
Can't say it's much cooler -- a degree or two. There's still no a/c on this (north) side of the floor. Tons of cool air as you approach the south side and our kitchen (south side) is less than 22C. First floor seems to have a/c too, at least the lobby area when I came in.

We are NOT impressed!
Yikes. That sounds brutal. Hopefully nobody becomes with ill with heat exhaustion etc.
Beautiful flowers. Nicki looks cute...even flaked out by the heat.
Hoping things cool down for you soon.
John Bellen said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
John Bellen said…
Forty-one on the death-by-humidity scale? That's awful. I do find that a 'smart' phone, which gives me internet access, is handy in such cases (though 'smart' is relative: it still can't spell properly). I am not a fan of heat; spring is nice, early summer good, high summer...no.

But the flowers in your post look very fresh and cool.

(More 'smart' technology: the computer put in 'floors' instead of 'flowers' in a previous attempt...)
Kea said…
Thanks for stopping by. We all hope things cool down a bit too, and more so, that we get real rain for at least a few days.
Kea said…
I have that secondhand smart phone, but don't pay for data, use wi-fi access. Doesn't do me much good at home when everything's down, though!
Saku said…
OMG, 29C in the office? I can't believe that they expect you to work in such conditions...is there no health and safety committee. I know that if/when our office hits temps more than 5 degrees higher or lower than optimal we're sent home. Or at least given the choice.

Add in the humidity and I think I'd be very cranky! Hope it cools off soon at home and at work.
we could: seer a perch on de sidewalk with out coalz as da tabbies say....SUPPOSEDLY; and make that SUPPOSEDLY font mega timez 150....we are heading for a cool down.... when we all walk outside... and it's 80.... and we think it's "cool".....yea.... it's been bad !! ♥♥♥☺☺☺
wildcatwoods said…
That was a bad day. Hope the power and AC stays on the rest of this week.
possumlady said…
I don't comment often because I usually read your blog at the office where for some reason I can't comment. I can comment on my smartphone though! I recommend getting a battery operated fan in case your electricity goes out again in the summer. I found a decent sized one on Amazon. It takes a lot of big batteries but so worth it!
Kea said…
Yes, we have a Health & Safety dept. There's something wonky with the entire a/c in this building, and the more they fiddle with it, the worse it gets.
Kea said…
No cool down here, well, a couple of degrees cooler for the weekend, then back up to sweltering again! I need to live in a nice, temperate climate. Please!
Kea said…
Ha! The entire a/c system seems to have gone haywire in this building. Anyway, we'll be complaining about the bitter cold soon enough.
Kea said…
Hi possumlady, thanks for the suggestion! I never would have thought of a battery fan. I see some on Amazon.ca, though most are dual: USB cable or rechargeable battery. I think I'll get one! Even a small one would be better than nothing.