Staycation: Can I stand the "excitement"?

Day 1, Friday: Early AM run for groceries at a nearby No Frills. Huge order, taxi home. Unload, stow away, out to Costco, Best Buy (dropping off small electronics for recycling), PetSmart, Dollarama, PetValu, then home early afternoon. Food prep. Collapse for an hour, get up and wait on the cats, do chores.

While waiting for the bus.
How good could either a hair salon or tattoo parlour combo be? I'd be scared to have my body inked here. Or my hair cut, for that matter!
Nicki has full possession of the remote. The eye is a bit freaky.  :-D
Derry's typical outdoor pose.
Day 2, Saturday: Walmart run. Where does $100+ go? Muffins and brownies--from mixes this time. I have to cut my grocery costs, am trying to make myself some treats to stop buying a cookie every day from Tim Horton's, or going to Starbucks. Honey garlic chicken in the crock pot, for supper. Plus my own lemon iced tea, cooling.

Tiny, cluttered "kitchen," doesn't take long to make a mess.
Caramel sea salt brownie mix.
Chicken ready to cook in the crock pot: 1/2 cup soy sauce, 1/2 cup ketchup, 1/3 cup honey, 3 cloves minced garlic, 1 tsp dried basil. Plus whatever chicken (or other meat) you want. Hopefully it tastes better than it looks, raw, in this quick snapshot.
Yesterday's home made easy bean salad, with a can of rinsed/drained mixed beans, fresh parsley, green onions, cherry tomatoes and feta cheese, tossed with a bit of garlic, 2 TBSP lemon juice, 1 TBSP of olive oil, some salt and pepper. Yum. It does taste better than the snapshot looks. LOL.
Home made chocolate chip cookies another day. It's too hot to do more now, even though I used only the toaster oven for the muffins and brownies.

Now it's on to laundry, with tomorrow slated for the house cleaning, because I don't have the energy to do it today. Monday I have the Canadian Diabetes Association coming to pick up more stuff for donation (clothing and some bedding, pillows, etc.)

After that, I hope to have the rest of the staycation for more enjoyable things!

Peace.

Comments

Cat Lover said…
Goodness gracious Kim, you are very busy. Everything looks and sounds delicious! I think I will go bake something now!
The photos of the boys are great. Too hot to do much else but flake out.
Hope you have a wonderful staycation!
ANGEL ABBYGRACE said…
*whew* I'm tired that is a lot of errands and running around. Your kitchen looks great! If that is clutter why I'd hate for you to see what's behind my cabinets! :)
Kea said…
Oh, please...you guys give new meaning to "busy." LOL.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend!
Kea said…
Yeah, that's clutter. Drives me crazy, but I already donated half of all my kitchen stuff two Christmases ago. Most of the time I just tune it out, but when I see it in a snapshot...ugh!
Now that you have all the errands and cooking done you can relax? =)
Those brownies look so good!
Nicki and Derry look so chill....maybe they are trying to give you hint!
Saku said…
You've definitely had a couple of really busy days, but I'm sure all the prep will give you some time to relax this week.

Both the chicken and salad look terrific. In fact, I've got unexpected company coming for supper and overnight tomorrow, and I think I'm going to use your chicken recipe. I made a pasta salad today, with pasta, eggs, and lots of veg - the chicken will be a nice complement and cooking in the crockpot won't heat up the house.

Enjoy your staycation! I'm sure Nicki and Derry will be so happy to have you home.
Annie Bear said…
Too funny about the hair salon/tattoo sign! That is a lot of errands! I wonder if the chicken was good. The sauce sounds good! I make iced tea just about every other day. The brownies sound yummy!

Derry and Nicki are so cute! I like both these pictures.

I know what you mean about where does $100 go at Walmart (or other similar store)!
meowmeowmans said…
Wow, your list of errands made me tired, just from reading it! :)

All the things you're cooking look and sound delicious. I think we'll be giving that bean salad a try soon.

Hugs to you and the boys (great pictures of them, by the way)!
John Bellen said…
Everyone's food looks tastier than mine!

As for Nicki, that eye was a laugh - but then it wasn't staring at me... Sometimes when one of mine - such as Tucker - tried to snoose while leaning against something, one eye will be shut tight and the other pulled wide open. And yet they appear to rest and even sleep like that.
John Bellen said…
Oh, and I agree with you about the hair salon/tattoo parlour. There are some weird combinations out there. There was a restaurant here in town called Dionysus - Greek food and bagels...
Poppy Q said…
Well done on the cooking Kim. I too am trying to not spend too much money on food eating out, as it is much cheaper to make something at home. You have much more space in your kitchen than I do so it looks spacious to me.

Enjoy your staycation.

Julie
Kea said…
Yes, we could learn a lot from cats. But then, who would do the necessary work? :-)
Kea said…
If you did try the crock pot chicken, I hope it came out again. I'll make it again, so I find it at least edible. :-)
Kea said…
I'm sure you do a lot of running around for errands, too, though it's a bit quicker if you have a vehicle, maybe less noticeable how much work it actually is. LOL.

I used mint green tea for the iced tea, quite like it. I'm looking forward to trying other types of tea too!
Kea said…
Nah, your life is probably filled with lots of crazy running around, everyone's seems to be these days. :-)

I like the easy salads that you can make with anything. The recipe called for a pepper (any colour), but I'm not as fond of peppers. It's the easy lemon juice, olive oil and garlic that makes it all taste good. :-)
Kea said…
I don't know how cats can sleep in crazy positions! I wake almost every morning with a headache from the crick in my neck, from the way I sleep. :-)
Kea said…
That's a new one to me: Greek food and bagels! You have to wonder what was going through the business owner's mind.... :-D
Kea said…
It's hard to imagine a smaller "kitchen," Julie! Though I've seen some awesome tiny home kitchens that are very well designed. Guess that's the key: good design. Which doesn't apply in my home. LOL. Take care.
I make a lot of meals in my crock pot then freeze them. That bean salad look yummy!
Katie Isabella said…
I'll be over shortly...tell the boys so they won't hiss.
Kea said…
I find that if I make a big batch of something and freeze it, I end up throwing it away six months later. So I'm trying to make enough for only two or three meals now. Less waste.
Kea said…
Nicki would roll on the floor and expect your full attention, and Derry would hide under the bed. :-)